Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 25 Apr 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3397971)   #401
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the title read...
SHOCK: V8 SUPERTOURER ENDURANCE SERIES CANNED - 2014 SEASON ENDS THIS WEEKEND

ray seemed rather upset by the article
Old 25 Apr 2014, 05:50 (Ref:3397993)   #402
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
the title read...
SHOCK: V8 SUPERTOURER ENDURANCE SERIES CANNED - 2014 SEASON ENDS THIS WEEKEND

ray seemed rather upset by the article
Saw it too. Hopefully it's a mistake as it wouldn't be good for the sport with sponsors and competitors funds already committed, and circuits contracted that need the income.
Also not good to see a NZ premier class have it's season cut short.

Of course; with Supertourers now running a calendar that will be competing with the summer series, no one will be winners financially
Old 25 Apr 2014, 06:25 (Ref:3398003)   #403
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
err so this is their last round of their season.. and they do plan on running their new season during the non winter months.. why did ray throw his toys out of the cot and claim it was all bs? or in his words "What a load of shite"
Old 25 Apr 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3398007)   #404
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha wow, juicier than I thought! All very interesting
Old 25 Apr 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3398047)   #405
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
Saw it too. Hopefully it's a mistake as it wouldn't be good for the sport with sponsors and competitors funds already committed, and circuits contracted that need the income.
Also not good to see a NZ premier class have it's season cut short.

Of course; with Supertourers now running a calendar that will be competing with the summer series, no one will be winners financially
Cut short one season or lengthen one season? Either way, it is a realignment. I just want all the so called premier classes to get their dates locked in ASAP for next season, so that the rest of us can lock in our dates. Hopefully, the support classes at all these events turn them into true major events instead of the lack lustre offerings recently.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3398059)   #406
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
The article is now gone from their Facebook page.
I was the writer of the article on the Velocity NZ page.

I wrote the article based on information I received on Wednesday, followed by the short statement from the V8 SuperTourers on the change in one of their recent PR releases. The quote was from an article on Greg Murphy:

"The 2014 series is now finishing after four rounds with a switch from a year-long championship to a more traditional format with the 2014-15 championship running from late September to April, over seven rounds. Murphy supports this move."

The decision wasn't discussed in further detail beyond that paragraph.

Trusting one of my sources, I went ahead with the article with a tone which mirrored attitudes from a couple of other contacts I had discussed the story with, as well as my initial source.

The tone of the article - not just the headline - however was one sided, and didn't account for moods on the decision from within the SuperTourer paddock. And those moods are quite positive from what I heard today in talking to a selection of people within the SuperTourer paddock.

The 2014 series is ending this weekend - with Murphy likely to be crowned champion in front of his big local crowd. September will see a new calendar commence, a summer series similar to what other tier one categories run will be the result.

The article posted this morning had one critical error in its content barring its tone, in that it stated that the endurance series would be "canned" in the face of this new championship. Today I was informed that the endurance series events - with their revised dates - will make up the opening rounds of the series. Current sponsor deals with teams will overlap into the new season (at least in the case of the one team I talked to today), with the balance of the season in 2015 to be negotiated on by the respective teams.

The article received a long message from Ray Noonan describing it as being "full of shite" as mentioned by promax. While elements of the story were incorrect - namely those above - it is still true that the 2014 season is coming to a close this weekend, and my suggestion in the article that there is potential for events to clash with tier one meetings is a valid one in my opinion (as well as others).

My regret with the article was that no further investigation was made beyond my source and the brief PR mention. The post wasn't written with malice - and Velocity NZ aren't just a group set on posting negative stories as suggested by Noonan. We were the ones to break the story on Australian Steve Owen joining the category early in the week, we were the ones to post the first image of Ant Pedersen's new Burgerfuel Falcon - a new sponsor to the category, and we were also the only people to write an article discussing the fantastic rebuild of Angus Fogg's Property Tutors Commodore.

Following the errors in the article, we deleted it from our Facebook page before sending a message to Noonan with the offer of him sending us a more complete account of what is to come. To date we are yet to receive a reply but I'm sure one will come.

Chur,
Matthew Hansen
VelocityNZ
Old 25 Apr 2014, 09:57 (Ref:3398067)   #407
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Cut short one season or lengthen one season? Either way, it is a realignment. I just want all the so called premier classes to get their dates locked in ASAP for next season, so that the rest of us can lock in our dates. Hopefully, the support classes at all these events turn them into true major events instead of the lack lustre offerings recently.
You are indeed correct Socram, it is a realignment and every V8ST team understands why such a realignment was necessary and are supportive of Ray's initiative in rejigging the calendar.

Part of Ray's thinking was to do just what you and other categories such as Central Muscle Cars want and thats to lock in a calendar well ahead of the season, with some wriggle room for not conflicting with any unforeseen changes from V8Supercars.

In speaking to Doctor John he tells me he is delighted with what Ray is doing and that they CMC will support V8ST were ever possible, because he say's they feel loved and appreciated, and that say's it all in my book.

MSNZ meddling in the the proposed Manfield round is deplorable and has no justification whatsoever, totally bizarre and unexceptable and I suspect illegal in terms of the commerce act, but hey thats not my issue anymore but who could blame Ray for taking it further if thats what it takes, certainly not me.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3398088)   #408
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Article regarding the change is now on Speedcafe:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/04/25/...mmer-schedule/
Old 25 Apr 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3398095)   #409
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is there a 2013/14 Champion?

Does anyone get this:
Old 25 Apr 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3398126)   #410
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
wonder if NZ V8 Ute are feeling the love? or will the series do their own thing?
Old 25 Apr 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3398269)   #411
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
I was the writer of the article on the Velocity NZ page.

I wrote the article based on information I received on Wednesday, followed by the short statement from the V8 SuperTourers on the change in one of their recent PR releases. The quote was from an article on Greg Murphy:

"The 2014 series is now finishing after four rounds with a switch from a year-long championship to a more traditional format with the 2014-15 championship running from late September to April, over seven rounds. Murphy supports this move."

The decision wasn't discussed in further detail beyond that paragraph.

Trusting one of my sources, I went ahead with the article with a tone which mirrored attitudes from a couple of other contacts I had discussed the story with, as well as my initial source.

The tone of the article - not just the headline - however was one sided, and didn't account for moods on the decision from within the SuperTourer paddock. And those moods are quite positive from what I heard today in talking to a selection of people within the SuperTourer paddock.

The 2014 series is ending this weekend - with Murphy likely to be crowned champion in front of his big local crowd. September will see a new calendar commence, a summer series similar to what other tier one categories run will be the result.

The article posted this morning had one critical error in its content barring its tone, in that it stated that the endurance series would be "canned" in the face of this new championship. Today I was informed that the endurance series events - with their revised dates - will make up the opening rounds of the series. Current sponsor deals with teams will overlap into the new season (at least in the case of the one team I talked to today), with the balance of the season in 2015 to be negotiated on by the respective teams.

The article received a long message from Ray Noonan describing it as being "full of shite" as mentioned by promax. While elements of the story were incorrect - namely those above - it is still true that the 2014 season is coming to a close this weekend, and my suggestion in the article that there is potential for events to clash with tier one meetings is a valid one in my opinion (as well as others).

My regret with the article was that no further investigation was made beyond my source and the brief PR mention. The post wasn't written with malice - and Velocity NZ aren't just a group set on posting negative stories as suggested by Noonan. We were the ones to break the story on Australian Steve Owen joining the category early in the week, we were the ones to post the first image of Ant Pedersen's new Burgerfuel Falcon - a new sponsor to the category, and we were also the only people to write an article discussing the fantastic rebuild of Angus Fogg's Property Tutors Commodore.

Following the errors in the article, we deleted it from our Facebook page before sending a message to Noonan with the offer of him sending us a more complete account of what is to come. To date we are yet to receive a reply but I'm sure one will come.

Chur,
Matthew Hansen
VelocityNZ
Thanks for that HP. Good clarification
Old 25 Apr 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3398271)   #412
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
In speaking to Doctor John he tells me he is delighted with what Ray is doing and that they CMC will support V8ST were ever possible, because he say's they feel loved and appreciated, and that say's it all in my book.

but hey thats not my issue anymore but who could blame Ray for taking it further if thats what it takes, certainly not me.
Exactly the same conversations that Dr. John has with me too.

So if it's not your issue anymore, then why mention it?
Old 25 Apr 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3398288)   #413
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
…….. So if it's not your issue anymore, then why mention it?
That's a strange comment Crunch - if we restricted forum postings to only those who were directly involved with issues there would be no or hardly any activity.

These forums seem to be mostly for reflection, analysis, speculation and commentary by people who are interested but not directly involved.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 03:37 (Ref:3398341)   #414
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly Roger. Watching the TV at the moment, it's great to see a good crowd at Pukekohe and getting coverage of several different classes. We always need to see classes other than our own, if only to see how they stack up in terms of the quality of racing, grid sizes (most seem to have less than 20...) and also the general spectacle and especially the driving standards.

Obviously this is the best promoted meeting of the year and the personalities and V8 power are a major attraction for those some of us would call as having a fairly narrow interest in the cars themselves. Nothing wrong with that at all.

If their feedback is positive - fantastic, but some of these classes will only ever be a support category but the greater the variety, the better it is for all of us. I'm looking forward now to the Muscle Cars as for my money, they are probably the best to watch but somewhat surprised that the GT class (more like saloons!) didn't have more runners.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3398399)   #415
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
the final GTRNZ round was held over the Easter weekend. maybe some struggled for funds to do back to back weekends
Old 27 Apr 2014, 05:27 (Ref:3398620)   #416
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
the final GTRNZ round was held over the Easter weekend. maybe some struggled for funds to do back to back weekends
Not sure whats going on with the category management in GTRNZ, as I wrote to them asking if they would accept an entry for my Dodge Viper with Kayne Scott as the driver, and was told by return email they would only accept the entry if we did Taupo beforehand.

It didn't suit either Kayne or myself to do Taupo so we flagged Pukekohe, I know that two other competitors had exactly the same thoughts, so really they could have had 3 other very fast Transam cars there this weekend but chose not to.

I am not whinging, as they probably did me a favour and saved me spending a 'bunch of money' as well, but just thought it was a somewhat strange policy, and probably accounted for the smaller than expected turn out.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 05:35 (Ref:3398623)   #417
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
that is rather odd? being it's a non championship round and all.

anyone got any updates on Andy Duffin? possible broken arm and leg was mentioned.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 05:53 (Ref:3398629)   #418
MS Fan
Rookie

New Zealand
Wellington
MS Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that is rather odd? being it's a non championship round and all.

anyone got any updates on Andy Duffin? possible broken arm and leg was mentioned.
From GTRNZ on Facebook
Broken Wrist, 2 broken ribs, badly lacerated knee but otherwise stable
Old 27 Apr 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3398647)   #419
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Not sure whats going on with the category management in GTRNZ, as I wrote to them asking if they would accept an entry for my Dodge Viper with Kayne Scott as the driver, and was told by return email they would only accept the entry if we did Taupo beforehand.
Seems very short sighted to me. I really don't understand the mentality of those who seek to restrict participation.

I have been criticised many times for a pragmatic approach to entries, but we are still around and at least we clocked 86 different drivers who made it to at least, first practice at least once.

Turning down Kayne Scott, an iconic driver, on that basis, is plain dumb and another example of some people wrecking the sport instead of building it.

Some good racing this weekend based on what we saw televised.

I now realise that if you want to see the racing, the TV is a good option.

If you want to see a large variety of cars, you have to physically attend a meeting that promotes variety. This meeting did at least have some variety!
Old 27 Apr 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3398687)   #420
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Seems very short sighted to me. I really don't understand the mentality of those who seek to restrict participation.

I have been criticised many times for a pragmatic approach to entries, but we are still around and at least we clocked 86 different drivers who made it to at least, first practice at least once.

Turning down Kayne Scott, an iconic driver, on that basis, is plain dumb and another example of some people wrecking the sport instead of building it.

Some good racing this weekend based on what we saw televised.

I now realise that if you want to see the racing, the TV is a good option.

If you want to see a large variety of cars, you have to physically attend a meeting that promotes variety. This meeting did at least have some variety!
Short sighted is probably a fair assessment of the decision the GTRNZ executive committee, as a "whole" I am told, came to, with regard to not accepting our entry for Puke only.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3398697)   #421
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Short sighted is probably a fair assessment of the decision the GTRNZ executive committee, as a "whole" I am told, came to, with regard to not accepting our entry for Puke only.
I don't think it was just 'your entry' that was not accepted
as we knew a few months back that to run at Puke you had to have done a previous round with them.
It was in the GTRNZ newsletter a while ago.

I don't think that you can expect them to change the rules for you and not others.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 09:51 (Ref:3398704)   #422
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
I don't think it was just 'your entry' that was not accepted
as we knew a few months back that to run at Puke you had to have done a previous round with them.
It was in the GTRNZ newsletter a while ago.

I don't think that you can expect them to change the rules for you and not others.
I'm not sure that "who knew what and when" is at question here is it? Of more importance is the sense in declaring that acceptance of an entry for one race meeting is subject to an entry at a previous one. Where's the benefit to the sport?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3398711)   #423
DX20VT
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
I'm not sure that "who knew what and when" is at question here is it? Of more importance is the sense in declaring that acceptance of an entry for one race meeting is subject to an entry at a previous one. Where's the benefit to the sport?
That's where the difference in opinion is.

I believe that in an effort to keep the numbers up for the whole season,
it is a good thing to do.
There is no doubt the V8SC round is the best event of the year,
and the class needs to use that carrot to attract racers to their series.

I know we tried to do the same thing a few years back
when we had 3 or 4 times the normal number of entries just because we were running at Tier1,
otherwise you end up with what becomes a one event series,
and not enough numbers to make the other events viable.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:26 (Ref:3398721)   #424
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
That's where the difference in opinion is.

I believe that in an effort to keep the numbers up for the whole season,
it is a good thing to do.
There is no doubt the V8SC round is the best event of the year,
and the class needs to use that carrot to attract racers to their series.

I know we tried to do the same thing a few years back
when we had 3 or 4 times the normal number of entries just because we were running at Tier1,
otherwise you end up with what becomes a one event series,
and not enough numbers to make the other events viable.
But if the grid wasn't oversubscribed, where is the problem?

If a meeting is oversubscribed - or likely to be, then by all means, state that preference will be given to those who have competed at previous rounds. That is common sense.

To deprive the spectators of another entry just shows a total disregard for their wishes and therein lies one of the problems with NZ motorsport.

Everyone moans about poor spectator figures, low entries, a poor spectacle, lack of variety but someone with a top driver and a (different) car with a degree of spectator appeal is refused entry.

If a series is a 'one event' series, then it isn't a viable series anyway!
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3398725)   #425
DX20VT
Racer

Depends on the priority i suppose,

Is the idea to have as many cars at one event as possible,

or is it to try on help the entire series.

Motorsport is more than just the top level,
it needs to use the top level to help the lowers rungs as well.

Just saying that not everyone in the country is opposed to the idea,
some will be and some aren't.

And if they had set a rule then why should someone be allowed to break it
just because they are Petch or Kayne Scott?