Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:06 (Ref:464614)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
CART.com's Own Rumour Mill

Another new article put up today. Nothing but speculation. Kinda surprised that the series' own website publishes rumours, but it makes for a great read.

Herta on Wayne Taylor: "I talked with Wayne about it, but we haven't spoken in a long time so either he's getting another driver or that project is on the back burner, I'm not sure what's going on there."

Herta on his future: "CART is willing to help me, but they are not going to fund the whole team and right now I've got two deals working. Neither is for a full budget, but with CART's help, it could work and we've got meetings with them next week. I would think Patrick Racing would be most likely for me at this moment."

And then they end the article with this blurb:

Gentilozzi still hasn't announced his lineup for 2003, but recently said on "RPM Now" radio that his driver has "seven years of CART experience, has won races, has triumphed at the Rolex 24 and loves red wine." Can you say, Max Papis? ... Craig Pollock, manager and best friend of '95 CART champ Jacques Villenueve, is reportedly interested in starting a CART team with the old PacWest assets. Maybe with Johnny Herbert? ... "Autosport" magazine reported that F3000 runner-up Giorgio Pantano will run the next two years in CART with BC Motorsports and Sunoco sponsorship, but right now it's more speculation than fact. Pantano recently competed for the Williams F1 test seat, while BC Motorsports is owned by Dana Brewer of San Diego. ... The annual race at Wisconsin State Fair Park looks like it's headed for a Saturday night show - CART's first-ever under the lights. There is a new $64 million grandstand being built at the legendary Milwaukee Mile oval track.

...So even CART is telling us that the BC Motorsports thing is nothing of consequence.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:13 (Ref:464624)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of the teams that appear in the "Teams" section, there's no BC Motorsports, so that's it.

I'd love to see Herta back.

NASCAR.com also has a page with weekly rumors, so I guess it's normal...
Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:25 (Ref:464633)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The "Teams" section appears to be somewhat out-dated, though. They don't list the second Herdez car, a second Johannson car, or Lavin's ride with Walker.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:33 (Ref:464638)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Thinking out loud...

If Herta is better linked to Patrick than with Johannson, does that mean that Stefan has his eye on another American driver to team with Hunter-Reay? And if so, who? Gidley? Barron? And with Rocketsports campaigning Papis, where does that leave Tagliani? N/Haas? I really hope so, but I'm certainly not counting on it. Got a funny feeling that Zonta may land that ride. (If there is a ride to land.)
Old 5 Jan 2003, 18:56 (Ref:464660)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't rely on the teams/drivers list as a source of information, I'd be surprised if Cart.com's webmaster was privy to any more information than we are.

Robin Miller has been one of the better reporters throughout the silly season, and has been more successful in his predictions than anyone else I've read, but that said, his record is not at all perfect.

That said, even though I'm not conviced of his super-talent, having Herta in the series would be a good thing, as the fans seem to like him.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 5 Jan 2003, 19:00 (Ref:464667)   #6
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Thinking out loud...

If Herta is better linked to Patrick than with Johannson, does that mean that Stefan has his eye on another American driver to team with Hunter-Reay? And if so, who? Gidley? Barron?
So has the deal with Vasser fallen through? Last I heard he was a shoe-in for one of the two seats at Stefan's team, but there was some sort of dispute over pay?? That would be a shame, but on the other hand it would be great to see Gidley back, or a driver the calibre of Barron. Johansson would surely want an experienced hand alongside Hunter-Reay.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 19:02 (Ref:464671)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Sorry, Raven. I should've included Vasser on that list. Like I said, I was only "thinking", and I'm not always very good at that!
Old 5 Jan 2003, 20:17 (Ref:464732)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No probs macdaddy, thanks for the updates. I'm just trying to catch up on all the CART news, rumours and developments today. It seems quite hard to keep track of everything going on, one day it's one thing and the next it's the other! Still, at least it gives us all something to be talking about until St.Pete ( which can't be too long now).

I think it's quite safe to say that Alex Yoong can be added to the list of certainties, albeit with a team TBA. He's got the program covered by his sponsors.

If Pollock puts a team together, I doubt they'll be out there before Long Beach and I think it would be more likely to have someone he's become acquainted with from BAR (where he's still involved) driving for him, now that Takuma Sato will be doing the lions share of testing. Someone such as Patrick Lamaire or Anthony Davidson would seem a more likely bet over Herbert, who has now probably missed the boat.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 00:15 (Ref:464941)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Autoweek, Pollock's PacWest assets are tied up in the bankruptcy court. So it's not likely he'll be out on the grid at St. Pete unless Bernie lends a hand or something.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 01:56 (Ref:464976)   #10
Minardi4eva
Rookie

Minardi4eva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long stretch,but I may know who could land a ride in CART.

Hint:Initials are TM

Last edited by Minardi4eva; 6 Jan 2003 at 01:56.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 02:21 (Ref:464982)   #11
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, bring Tommi Makkinen on, then we'll see Champcars sideways.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 03:23 (Ref:465000)   #12
Minardi4eva
Rookie

Minardi4eva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats not the TM that I was thinking of....
Old 6 Jan 2003, 03:27 (Ref:465005)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, sideways Champ Cars and Tommi's effervescent personality and exciting press conferences too!

I don't know anyone else whose initials are TM.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 03:37 (Ref:465011)   #14
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Tommi was a quip by me........Marques perhaps
Old 6 Jan 2003, 07:26 (Ref:465077)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Shame if PacWest's assets are tied up in court this late into the offseason. For months we've been speculating and throwing rumours around.

TM..? I'd welcome Marques back into the series. I always liked him. But otherwise I'm stumped by Minardi4eva's riddle. I just hope that it's not a kid brother named Tiro Matsusita! (I had to misspell the surname so as to avoid the autocensor!)
Old 6 Jan 2003, 07:34 (Ref:465079)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon Tarso. He performed well when he was last in CART for little reward.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 07:55 (Ref:465086)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I don't believe it anyway. Name all the drivers you want, and I'll even add to the list. But name the teams. That's the tough part! Tarso would have a hard time winning a race if he had to run around the track on foot, because he didn't have a car to drive. It seems like many of the remaining rides are heavily dependant upon driver's sponsorship.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 09:23 (Ref:465131)   #18
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy, you started an interesting thread about rumours and when you read everyone's views, it shows a lot of balls are still in the air. For NASCAR.com to publish rumors about movement, it's one thing. That series is healthy. For cart.com to do it is to keep the balls in the air and some kind of buzz going to ACT like it's healthy, which begs a load of questions.

If Yoong is solid, why hasn't anything been announced? If Walker's operation with two cars is solid, why did Lavin announce in Mexico and the story got pulled from cart.com at Walker's request? Why the mystery and drama over Pantano? Why hasn't Newman-Haas announced what it's doing? What's the holdup on Rocketsports announcing a driver if it's solid? Why hasn't anything happened with Tagliani? Where are the loose ends in Johansson's effort and if Vasser is there, why hasn't he been announced? If CART is helping Herta (read Pookfare), why isn't the deal done with Patrick? The Pollock deal is a fine rumor, but that equipment will be tied up in bankruptcy court until it's obsolete, so why surmise that this is "real?"

The answer to all these is one word: Money.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 10:07 (Ref:465157)   #19
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
But it's fun and interesting to speculate, none of us are in the picture here, it's all fat chewing and the clink of beer glasses. It's all rumour so grab a beer, take it with a grain of salt and speculate away. If it can take a guy like Al Unser Jr. right up to 72hours before 'gentlemen start engines' for race 1 to put a deal together for a season (last year), then I'm prepared to cut this lot with less name recognition a little slack in sealing the deal. Especially across the Christmas / New Year break.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 11:24 (Ref:465216)   #20
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still no announcement from Gentilozzi; Johnson Controls made several announcements at the Detroit Auto Show on Sunday, but nothing involving motorsports.

North American Auto Show

Old 6 Jan 2003, 11:29 (Ref:465220)   #21
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
• One driver was killed and another injured when their rally car veered off a road in Haellefors, Sweden, and landed on its roof during a race.

The two men were co-drivers, police said. Their identities were not released.

A videotape made during the race showed the car hitting a tree, police spokesman Goeran Gunnarsson said. He told the Swedish news agency TT there would be an investigation. The race was canceled after the accident.

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 6 Jan 2003 at 11:38.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 12:44 (Ref:465279)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Shouldn't that be in the rally forum?
Old 6 Jan 2003, 13:05 (Ref:465286)   #23
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Snout, guess you're right.....
Old 6 Jan 2003, 13:05 (Ref:465287)   #24
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some sort of mis-post or something?
Old 6 Jan 2003, 17:24 (Ref:465466)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Seeing as we're talking rumours anyway...
I just pulled this off ChampWeb. So you may consider the source...

We have been told that there could be as many as 25-26 drivers running at the Laguna Seca and Sebring tests. It looks like 22 cars, at a minimum, will start St. Pete. 24 is looking extremely strong from Long Beach on, and quite possibly as many as 26 cars running by the European rounds.

On an even brighter note, we were told not to be surprised if CART has a larger field than the IRL at most of the races...