Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Sep 2000, 16:38 (Ref:38017)   #1
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Local ticket dealers are getting face value after charging 3 times as much 6 months ago.

By Robin Miller

Indianapolis Star

September 19, 2000

Sunday's inaugural SAP U.S. Grand Prix at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway may be a sellout, but that doesn't mean there aren't tickets available. On the contrary, the Indianapolis Star's classified section is filled with sellers and local ticket brokers who are offering seats for face value.

Six months ago, local brokers were getting three and four times face value. Today, they are going for the amount listed on the ticket.

"We're getting a lot of phone calls, but everyone is trying to sell, not buy,'' said Don Carnahan of MCS Tickets on West 10th Street. "There was a run on F-1 tickets a few months ago, but just like this year's Brickyard 400, the bottom has fallen out of the market.

"Maybe there's just too much racing at the track now.'' Carnahan said anybody desiring to see Michael Schumacher and Co. only needs to pick up the phone.

"We've got some of the best seats in the house, high in the North Vista and J Stand, and we're asking face value,'' he said.

Last month, for the first time since NASCAR began racing in Indianapolis in 1994, fans were able to purchase Brickyard tickets for under face value on race morning.

Carnahan says he expects the same thing this weekend.

"Right now, people are lucky to get $60 for an $85 ticket. So I imagine there will be some bargains on Sunday morning.''

Unlike most F-1 races, Indy is reasonably priced. There are $30 general admission tickets, $75 and $85 seats in the turns all the way up to E Penthouse, and Visa decks at $140.

Old 19 Sep 2000, 16:45 (Ref:38019)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if this is a sign as to how well the Indianapolis GP will do in the future.

If it is, it doesn't look bright. Most F1 races sell out completely in the week before the event. In Canada there are always tons of people trying to buy tickets in the days leading upto raceday.
Old 19 Sep 2000, 17:11 (Ref:38028)   #3
botsquad
Veteran

the whole olympic games thing isn't helping.
although im not sure it's hurting either.

here in u.s.a. there is no pre-race media.

not even on fox.

most americans aren't going to know there was a usgp.

nor will they care. it's really kind of embarassing.

Old 19 Sep 2000, 18:21 (Ref:38039)   #4
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speedvision has had a lot of coverage, including the US Grand Prixview series that is an attempt to educate Americans on F1 racing.

I will let you know how well selling tickets goes. I have one that my wife has decided not to use. Something about 3 days of racing made her change her mind.
Old 19 Sep 2000, 18:52 (Ref:38041)   #5
botsquad
Veteran

of course, the word 'SPEEDVISION' says it all about who is tuned in that coverage.

us race fans.
Old 19 Sep 2000, 19:05 (Ref:38043)   #6
Chris S
Rookie

Chris S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I usually don't post on this page (prefer sportscar racing), but I have friends who will be attending as both fans and corner workers, so I thought I might watch this race. Thought I would come to this BB to see what the take is on the race.

Interesting about the tickets. I am a list member for W2W BB, a list of mostly SCCA club racing drivers and workers. There are available tickets on that list, but mostly for Friday and Saturday.

I had a choice of attending/working the USGP or the SCCA Runoffs the next week at Mid-Ohio. I will be attending the Runoffs. I am betting there will be more passing and racing for position in the SCCA Formula Vee race than there has been all year in F1, and I would rather watch the accidents on television.
Old 19 Sep 2000, 20:42 (Ref:38053)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
On second thought, if they can maintain 100,000 on race day in the coming years, it may be viable. That is a little less than the Canadian GP brings in.

As for TV coverage. Other than quali and the race is it really necessary to have a 100 preview programs? They don't have any for the Canadian GP, and it does fine. What they really need is better marketing. (ie TV ads months in advance on major US networks) I haven't seen 1 ad.
Old 19 Sep 2000, 23:53 (Ref:38087)   #8
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by botsquad
of course, the word 'SPEEDVISION' says it all about who is tuned in that coverage.

us race fans.
AHHHHH SPEEDVISION!!!!

A dream come true. Especially "Two-wheeled Tuesday".

My wifes worst nightmare.

Old 22 Sep 2000, 00:01 (Ref:38522)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen a couple of golf/Ferrari ads that I finally figured out were advertsing the USGP. But they are like those weird Audi commercials that play a bit of the end of the race at Mosport - you can't really figure out what they are trying to sell you.

I bet if you go to the USGP on race day you can buy tickets for a lot less than face value. People probably bought them up thinking they were going to make a killing on the resale market and did not realise that nobody would be that interested who wasn't already there.
Old 22 Sep 2000, 01:51 (Ref:38528)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Redneck
AHHHHH SPEEDVISION!!!!

A dream come true. Especially "Two-wheeled Tuesday".

My wifes worst nightmare.

Ohh, Reddy, such sweet music, isn't it. When we bought our house three years ago, and I found the cable still conected and our first morning in the house I got the 1997 Belgian GP at Spa on TV after three years of no F1...

It was heaven.

Tomorrow, gang, we get LIVE coverage of practise. hmmmm, almost worth calling in sick to work.....
Old 22 Sep 2000, 02:26 (Ref:38530)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Damn you!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, we get coverage of every session, Friday practices included for the Canadian GP, so I guess it balances out. Besides, I have school.
Old 23 Sep 2000, 02:55 (Ref:38706)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Jay, we will get qualifying tomorrow anyway.