Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2022, 20:32 (Ref:4111915)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Stewarts have agreed that part of the Red Bull tyres were over the edge of the pit exit line and this is not a penalty. They said most of the wheel was on the line and not over and that's fine.

This contradicts my understanding of how that rule works, but whatever.

https://youtu.be/OUTsC0mdIuE
Old 29 May 2022, 21:20 (Ref:4111925)   #52
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Stewarts have agreed that part of the Red Bull tyres were over the edge of the pit exit line and this is not a penalty.
Didn't see Sir Jackie on the coverage but pretty likely that he would have been there somewhere - he clearly agrees with the Stewards (sorry, got to have a little laugh).

Really enjoyed that race - drama as only Monaco does drama and the mix of the tight circuit and tight pitlane with some water added makes for a topsy-turvy experience. Checo just nailed it today - yes, Ferrari did seem to assist but hindsight is a wonderful thing and the leading teams were rolling the dice today - fell RBRs way but so easily might not have.
Old 29 May 2022, 21:54 (Ref:4111928)   #53
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Truly happy for Perez today.

Richard

Was he?
Did you actually ask Jarno or are you assuming?
Old 29 May 2022, 21:57 (Ref:4111930)   #54
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

actually thought there were a few incidents where the replays were from poor vantage points. maybe the TV director made some bad choices or maybe they need to rethink their camera positions around this track?
Apparently Monaco is the only race where the coverage cameras etc is provided by local TV network and not f1 tv. This would be one of the sticking points holding up the new contract.
Old 29 May 2022, 23:57 (Ref:4111943)   #55
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Was he?
Did you actually ask Jarno or are you assuming?
That was truly a bad joke. Or actually a bad Trulli joke

Richard
Old 30 May 2022, 07:11 (Ref:4111986)   #56
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I see that Gunther Steiner has described Mick Schumacher's crash as "not very satisfactory".If there was an award for understatement of the year......
I suspect that was the cleaned up version of what actually passed his lips.I also think the difficult conditions for all drivers may have given us some indication of those drivers who may have some difficulty finding a seat for next season.Perhaps a side effect of the cost cap.
Old 30 May 2022, 09:12 (Ref:4112001)   #57
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I think Red bull got their strategy right - or at least more right than Ferrari did. I'm sure that Ferrari tried their best, but they have had many years mainly fighting for 4th / 5th / 6th / 7th etc whereas Red Bull have had last years epic title battle plus many more years stealing wins when they have had the 2nd or 3rd best car, and it showed.
Old 30 May 2022, 10:53 (Ref:4112021)   #58
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
A well-deserved victory for Sergio Perez and Red Bull, who got the strategy absolutely right and while Ferrari were unhappy with traffic it still required a great outlap from Perez to undercut Leclerc and then a great inlap to overcut Sainz. Possibly the first time since early 2018 that Verstappen had been genuinely outpaced all weekend by a teammate. A shout-out also to Sainz for overruling Ferrari's strategy and getting it right, to Leclerc who was extremely unlucky, and to Gasly for making some great passes around Monaco and making his strategy the right one while Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton, with 11 titles between them, got stuck behind cars on wets and caused their strategies to appear wrong.

However, one issue with the Grand Prix was completely unnecessarily losing the last 13 laps due to the three-hour limit. I simply don't see the point of the 3-hour race limit, especially considering it was initially introduced (as a 4-hour limit) in response to the 2011 Canadian GP, one of the greatest races of all time which wouldn't have been so had the race stopped after three hours. The two hour wait in that race made the second half even better. I assume the reason for the three-hour limit is something to do with TV times (or in some instances sunset, but that didn't apply here), but we were denied another 13 laps of close racing and risked not even awarding full points, and with red flags far more common nowadays the three-hour limit needs to be raised at least, or preferably binned altogether.
Old 30 May 2022, 11:08 (Ref:4112025)   #59
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I simply don't see the point of the 3-hour race limit, especially considering it was initially introduced (as a 4-hour limit) in response to the 2011 Canadian GP, one of the greatest races of all time which wouldn't have been so had the race stopped after three hours.
There will be many reasons, a few of which include:

The need to fit in with TV broadcast schedules around the world.
The need to allocate network bandwidth from communications providers for a certain period of time.
The need to being packing up after the race at a certain time to meet logistics schedules.
The need to 'cap' the overall hours worked by the crews in the garages, rather than pushing themselves to exhaustion.

I understand the sporting aspect of wanting to keep the full race distance as the ultimate end point, but other schedules also need to be adhered to.
Old 30 May 2022, 12:30 (Ref:4112032)   #60
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Do we reckon Alonso was just plain slow, or enjoying himself holding up Hamilton? (although post-race Hamilton seemed remarkably relaxed) Ocon would certainly have appreciated Alonso getting a move on so that he could try to lessen he effect of his penalty.......
Old 30 May 2022, 12:37 (Ref:4112035)   #61
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There will be many reasons, a few of which include:

The need to fit in with TV broadcast schedules around the world.
The need to allocate network bandwidth from communications providers for a certain period of time.
The need to being packing up after the race at a certain time to meet logistics schedules.
The need to 'cap' the overall hours worked by the crews in the garages, rather than pushing themselves to exhaustion.

I understand the sporting aspect of wanting to keep the full race distance as the ultimate end point, but other schedules also need to be adhered to.
These days may be more concerned about the travel schedules for those in attendance. Accommodating Missed flights and helping reschedule has never been a travel industry strong point and less so post Covid.

In many ways respect to the relatively new race director. All the bosses in attendance and he still clearly chose safety and protocol over maximizing entertainment.

Shame we didn’t see those final laps, but in the long run probably the right choice?
Old 30 May 2022, 12:47 (Ref:4112036)   #62
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Do we reckon Alonso was just plain slow, or enjoying himself holding up Hamilton? (although post-race Hamilton seemed remarkably relaxed) Ocon would certainly have appreciated Alonso getting a move on so that he could try to lessen he effect of his penalty.......
Neither.

Alonso was worried that his medium tyres would not last the distance, so was not pushing hard - he had no need to push because overtaking in the dry is virtually impossible anyway. As you point out it cost Ocon points because he was backed into those behind and had his 5 second penalty. What I don't understand is why Alpine took so long to give Alonso the hurry up, because Ocon might have managed to pull a gap on those behind him.

Not that teams greatest moment.
Old 30 May 2022, 13:43 (Ref:4112046)   #63
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I enjoyed it eventually. I think the race director had a mare though. Should have started it on time and let it play out. If it needed stopping (which it clearly would have) then react to that. I think it would have been great to see drivers handling the changing conditions (which they did a great job of on a drying track).

It's also great to see a change from blow past DRS. I actually think its great seeing cars nose to tail with the guy in front using his gulie not to be pressured into a mistake. Its a unique challenge and whilst it can be processional it can also throw up some quirky results sometimes. For me Monaco must stay on the calendar.
Old 30 May 2022, 15:21 (Ref:4112062)   #64
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzinho View Post
It's also great to see a change from blow past DRS. I actually think its great seeing cars nose to tail with the guy in front using his gulie not to be pressured into a mistake. Its a unique challenge and whilst it can be processional it can also throw up some quirky results sometimes. For me Monaco must stay on the calendar.
It takes almost no guile to hold back someone in the dry, as evidenced by Alonso slowing down by 3 seconds per lap without any danger of being overtaken.

The weather liven up what would have been the worse race of the year by far. Even the Porsche Supercup cars are too fast for the track and could not even consider overtaking in the dry.
Old 30 May 2022, 15:25 (Ref:4112064)   #65
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You need to use skill to overtake round here, although it is of course the easiest place to defend round here. Wet or dry it was a good weekend. Surprised there was no overtaking in the Supercup though, usually they manage to find some overtaking spots round the circuit
Old 30 May 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4112082)   #66
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Apparently Monaco is the only race where the coverage cameras etc is provided by local TV network and not f1 tv. This would be one of the sticking points holding up the new contract.
thats right! good call!

their TV director's penchant for filming/broadcasting reflections of the track either through a puddle or the glass (hospitality?) buildings is a madness that must be stopped!
Old 30 May 2022, 17:21 (Ref:4112115)   #67
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

their TV director's penchant for filming/broadcasting reflections of the track either through a puddle or the glass (hospitality?) buildings is a madness that must be stopped!
Especially when said 'creative interlude' is at the expense of an ongoing dice or even an impending overtake.

I read there were 12 non first racing lap on track (ie not including strategic pitlane passes) overtaking moves during the race.... of which the cameras actually caught 2 live.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 03:07 (Ref:4112331)   #68
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
I think Alonso knew its very hard to pass at Monaco so saved his tyres to make sure he had good rubber in the home stretch.

And if it frustrates the blokes behind and maybe they make a mistake or his team mate gets close enough to attack... all the better!
Old 1 Jun 2022, 03:10 (Ref:4112332)   #69
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

And the appalling video quality for much of P1. The Sky team made much fun of missing the highlights etc, talking about memes etc.

I think monaco will have to suck it up and let f1 provide the feed for the f1 cars, and they can do the weekend support races. (tho if its f2/3/W then they might want that too)
Old 1 Jun 2022, 03:16 (Ref:4112333)   #70
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
These days may be more concerned about the travel schedules for those in attendance. Accommodating Missed flights and helping reschedule has never been a travel industry strong point and less so post Covid.
I think all the broadcasters world wide want assurance that no matter what it will conclude no later than xx oclock, so they can schedule their other shows around knowing the will definitely be able to show the full race and podium.

I guess thats why often the coverage is followed by a 2nd rate tv show or movie. They dont want to advertise their best shows and have to pull them coz the race went long. ITs a buffer and they can pull the 2nd rate show and know that by xxoclock they can put their big shows on as per advertised schedule.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 07:51 (Ref:4112347)   #71
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzinho View Post
I think the race director had a mare though. Should have started it on time and let it play out. If it needed stopping (which it clearly would have) then react to that
Given the amount of rain that fell just fractionally after the scheduled start time, they wouldn't have made it through two laps without carnage ensuing and then a predictable stoppage. And then about 15-20 minutes after the scheduled start time, the deluge - the track was partially covered by running water at the Rascasse for a few minutes.

Why take the risk?
Old 1 Jun 2022, 09:20 (Ref:4112355)   #72
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I agree it was best to wait than risk carnage. It was frustrating for those involved, but we got a better race by avoiding the deluge. It all turned out alright in the end. The right decision absolutely
Old 1 Jun 2022, 14:42 (Ref:4112402)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
I think all the broadcasters world wide want assurance that no matter what it will conclude no later than xx oclock, so they can schedule their other shows around knowing the will definitely be able to show the full race and podium.

I guess thats why often the coverage is followed by a 2nd rate tv show or movie. They dont want to advertise their best shows and have to pull them coz the race went long. ITs a buffer and they can pull the 2nd rate show and know that by xxoclock they can put their big shows on as per advertised schedule.
does this still apply given that the major broadcasters of F1 have us watching behind a pay wall or via a speciality sports channel that has gained the right to simulcast the SKY broadcast?

different markets with different providers so i dont know what its like for others, but the sports channel here which carries the SKY broadcast (as well as pre and post race shows) has 5 channels they can air on even on and about a half dozen live streaming channels...so basically no scheduling worries if the race goes long.

sometimes i may be required to change to one of their other channels/streams if the coverage goes long but thats more of a recording problem then an ability to watch or the preempting of another live event.

also speaks to the logic of their own F1TV package which has no such concerns about what comes next as what comes next there is just more F1!

Last edited by chillibowl; 1 Jun 2022 at 14:54. Reason: spelling
Old 1 Jun 2022, 20:53 (Ref:4112475)   #74
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, so after checking out most of the comment sections on F1's social media pages(I don't know why I am torturing myself with that, it doubled my pulse, but yeah, living risky), one question articulated in me:
Racing equals overtaking?
Because it looks like most of the so called "fans"(they watched Netflix's famous soap opera, Drive to Survive, and think they know everything about the sport) belive it is. But I don't think so. Because in racing there is the art of defending, and it's getting killed because "fans" want overtaking and action. But getting past with DRS on a straight line is not exciting, is it? It's not about the number of overtakes, it's the quality of them. For me the exciting thing is when someone is slightly faster that the car ahead and needs laps to plan a move and try to make it. And it might or might not succeed. But in F1 the defender has no chance.
Monaco never had that much overtaking, it's exciting for different reasons. But if there were overtakes, those ended up in the season highligts.
And now they want to remove it from the calendar, I doubt it was ever considered in they nearly 100 year history of the Grand Prix.
So the problem is not with Monaco's layout, it's with the current car regulations.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 09:20 (Ref:4112525)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

Yes I agree. I'd rather see cars in a line waiting for an opportunity than slam dunk DRS moves. A lot of suspense has been taken away since DRS was bought in. It was somewhat refreshing to see drivers being able to defend for lap after lap in Monaco