Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2211943)   #151
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
A bad call by the team for young Nelson, .. Assuming that because Alonso had been put on dry tyres it had to be the way to go for him also..
It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. They could have put Piquet on inter's, he may have kept it on the straight and narrow, but he would still have had to come in again to switch to diy's.
Old 26 May 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2211955)   #152
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. They could have put Piquet on inter's, he may have kept it on the straight and narrow, but he would still have had to come in again to switch to diy's.
Do we know if he needed fuel at the time or not?

For example, Webber didn't choose to go to dry tyres when he did, but he needed fuel and the track was going to be right for dry tyres in five laps - perhaps this was the same situation Piquet was in the same situation?

If this were the case, dry tyres were a no-brainer.
Old 26 May 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2212164)   #153
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Do we know if he needed fuel at the time or not?

For example, Webber didn't choose to go to dry tyres when he did, but he needed fuel and the track was going to be right for dry tyres in five laps - perhaps this was the same situation Piquet was in the same situation?

If this were the case, dry tyres were a no-brainer.
He made his one and only stop on lap 46, so i'd say he needed fuel, he then preceded to crash one lap later.
Old 26 May 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2212264)   #154
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think it matters, his days are now numbered and its not a question if he loses the drive but when a replacement can be found, just has failed to deliver.
Old 26 May 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2212284)   #155
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
I dont think it matters, his days are now numbered and its not a question if he loses the drive but when a replacement can be found, just has failed to deliver.
It was the same with Heikki last year, but he turned it round from Canada onwards, and Canada's up next so maybe Piquet can do the same.
Old 26 May 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2212296)   #156
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant see it, I dont see anything in Piquet that the team can build on where as Hekki showed potential at times.
Old 26 May 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2212454)   #157
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
It was the same with Heikki last year, but he turned it round from Canada onwards, and Canada's up next so maybe Piquet can do the same.
To be fair, although Canada was definately the turnround for Heikki, he had, by the time they got to Canada had scored 3 points and outqualified his team mate twice out of 5 attempts. Nelson hasn't got anywhere near.
Old 26 May 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2212476)   #158
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Had Nelson done a Sutil at Monaco we would all be going "he can do it". Until he puts out a performance like that I do not think he is going anywhere but I do think he will retain his seat until the end of the season or very near it.

However Renault need a driver right now who can do it...Now!... and not later...
Old 26 May 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2212490)   #159
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
Had Nelson done a Sutil at Monaco we would all be going "he can do it". Until he puts out a performance like that I do not think he is going anywhere but I do think he will retain his seat until the end of the season or very near it.

However Renault need a driver right now who can do it...Now!... and not later...
You may be right about him keeping his seat, but as you also say in your last sentance, they need someone who can score points.

Iirc, the main man of (the entire) Renault operation isn't that keen on F1 as it is, if Renault are behind their main rivals (Toyota, Red Bull and Williams) then i can see Flavio having pressure from higher up to replace Piquet.

If Alonso can single handedly get (and keep) Renault to 4th place then Piquet may keep his seat.
Old 26 May 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2212637)   #160
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
After Monaco, he needs to go now.

Having said that, what were his credentials in the first place apart from having a legend Dad?

I saw him in A1GP battling around with the likes of Alex Yoong and he never impressed me much.
Old 27 May 2008, 00:02 (Ref:2212652)   #161
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
He made his one and only stop on lap 46, so i'd say he needed fuel, he then preceded to crash one lap later.
If that's the case, that's a bit of bad luck.

At the time it was too close to the dry tyre window for there to be any other option - he just lacked the experience to be able to ride out the tough period before the track became dry enough.

I still think he is severely under the pump though.
Old 27 May 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2212864)   #162
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
Alienman_69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is for some reason Renault R28 and Piquet are not getting along. Maybe the car doesnt suit his style, maybe his not ready for it, maybe the pressure is too high, maybe his lacking confidence, who knows. Truth is, Glock is not doing great either, Sutil with 1 year of F1, was struggling a lot untill Monaco, Heidfeld has years of experience and this year his looking average when last year he made Kubica look average. Piquet had 1 year has a test driver at Renault, if they chose to make him a race driver, he showed them something, or else he wouldnt have made it. But the pressure is building up really high now, and his name its not helping, the tv's are showing him a lot, everyone wants a interview, that kind of pressure can make or brake a 22 year old guy, and so far it looks like its breaking... if he doesnt have a good race soon, his F1 dream will end quickly.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2212888)   #163
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Glock hasn't chalked up much in the way of solid results yet that's true, but it has to be said that compared to Nelsinho he is generally alright speed wise and has shown genuine promise in practice and qualy and races when he hasn't had incidents. Nelson on the other hand appears to have struggled everywhere?
Old 27 May 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2213029)   #164
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
Alienman_69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Glock hasn't chalked up much in the way of solid results yet that's true, but it has to be said that compared to Nelsinho he is generally alright speed wise and has shown genuine promise in practice and qualy and races when he hasn't had incidents. Nelson on the other hand appears to have struggled everywhere?
On the only track he has driven a F1 a lot, Barcelona, he was always very close to Alonso, less than a tenth in most sessions, only in Q3 he was far away, but Alonso wasnt in the same strategy for the race. And dont forget Alonso was at home, and he tries a little harder on that track, so it wasnt all that bad. But than he made a mistake in the race that put him last or close and than he tried a pass on Bourdais that ended his race.
Besides untill Barcelona Renault had a very bad car, so its normal for a rookie to strugle when a 2 time WDC also had lots of problems to get to Q3.
Old 28 May 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2213855)   #165
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A possible drive for 'Ant' beckons! Better get a move on Mr Piquet.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67800
Old 28 May 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2214076)   #166
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That article merely mentions speculation though. We don't know who is speculating. There's no word from Renault they're looking to replace him.

I find it hard to feel sorry for Renault. You could say in some strange way they actually wanted a slower driver than Kovalainen so as to pander to Alonso. Now they have Alonso, but someone not up to that much yet in their other car, which'll be crucial in the tight constructors championship fight.