Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jan 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1805196)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
2007 technical regulations.

Strangely,only put on FIA website today?

Not much change really (mostly safety items),more's the pity.

http://www.fia.com/resources/documen...EGULATIONS.pdf

Last edited by Marbot; 3 Jan 2007 at 14:46.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1805343)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well what do we expect?

I'm fed up with getting all excited about some proposed major changes that will make the thing good again which gradually get whittled away to nothing major.

The only hope is that F1 in it's current form goes bust and everything starts from scratch otherwise we'll continue to get this status quo.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1805348)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well were we expecting any changes for this year?

To be honest, I can never remember. So many different years and proposals are raised in so many boring ways that I don't know what's coming!

2009 is the year for the changes though is it not?
Old 3 Jan 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1805352)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well were we expecting any changes for this year?

To be honest, I can never remember. So many different years and proposals are raised in so many boring ways that I don't know what's coming!

2009 is the year for the changes though is it not?
I know, I know.

Well a couple of years ago I seem to recall there was the prospect of slicks returning this year (gone) there was the chance of downforce restrictions and teams being able to run more than 2 race cars (also gone).

I might be slightly adrift of the absolute truth there, but that wouldn't have been a bad start.

2009 - god that's another 2 years away.

NASCAR might have completely taken over the world by then
Old 3 Jan 2007, 18:05 (Ref:1805359)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2009, bah.....it'll soon have been and gone man!

Plenty to get us through times then. Like that, ahem, world dominating series you mention, hehehe.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1805364)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

NASCAR might have completely taken over the world by then
Hasn't it already been named "NASCAR World Series"?

There are some changes for 2008.Standard ECU's and suchlike.

I could post a copy of the regs,but I fear that they will be unrecognisable in a years time.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1805469)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Strangely,only put on FIA website today?

Not much change really (mostly safety items),more's the pity.

http://www.fia.com/resources/documen...EGULATIONS.pdf
Have you forgotten the impact of the 'engine freeze'?

As said before, this document shows how restricted Formula 1 really is. Just compare this document with the 1994 Technical Regulations. Especially articles 3 and 5 have expanded.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1806860)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
There really is no excuse for slicks not to return in 2007, again its just the stubborn FIA and their obsession with grooved tyres.

I remember in 2004 they wanted to slow the cars further, one of the proposed measures was to introduce a 5th groove in the tyres... lunacy.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 23:14 (Ref:1807840)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It sounds like the large raft of changes due for 2008 are now those that are coming in 2009, correct?

It reminds me of a ridiculously rubbish joke I had in a jokebook from when I was a child. "What's always coming but never comes? Tomorrow! (obligatory "isn't that funny?!" exclamation mark)"

Now, change that to "changes to improve Formula 1" and the joke gets even worse.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1808227)   #10
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
It sounds like the large raft of changes due for 2008 are now those that are coming in 2009, correct?

It reminds me of a ridiculously rubbish joke I had in a jokebook from when I was a child. "What's always coming but never comes? Tomorrow! (obligatory "isn't that funny?!" exclamation mark)"

Now, change that to "changes to improve Formula 1" and the joke gets even worse.
What counts for the society in generall counts for sports as well: you can't create a paradise on earth. That's why all FIA's attempts to modify the sport have failed.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1808374)   #11
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When slicks return, they will probably be made from such hard rubber that lap times are reduced even further. The FIA will find a way to make slick tyres slower than grooved tyres.

I wonder what the chances of the delay in rule changes being put back to 2010? If the FIA insist on ignoring advice from the teams, it could create more problems than it solves.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1808938)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
When slicks return, they will probably be made from such hard rubber that lap times are reduced even further. The FIA will find a way to make slick tyres slower than grooved tyres.
Why don't they just reduce the power outputs a little and silly aero bits so the slicks can cope with the reduced downforce and we get to see the cars moving around again!
Old 7 Jan 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1808946)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Why don't they just reduce the power outputs a little and silly aero bits so the slicks can cope with the reduced downforce and we get to see the cars moving around again!
Just reducing the downforce would work,even when we had V10 engines.Some say that the top speeds may be too high,but exit and entry speeds to corners would be much less,so it all evens itself out nicely.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1809013)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Scrapping the V10s and developing V8s was a big waste of time and money, and just shows the public that the governing body and the teams have very little common sense, making questionable decisions with little or no benefit to the sport.

They could have just used rev limited V10's instead of the rev limited V8's we will get in 2007. What would have been the difference? The cars don't sound as good with V8's, and the teams have wasted millions of dollars developing them for no reason.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1809018)   #15
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Just reducing the downforce would work,even when we had V10 engines.Some say that the top speeds may be too high,but exit and entry speeds to corners would be much less,so it all evens itself out nicely.
The question that rises is: how much should the downforce be reduced?
Old 7 Jan 2007, 19:48 (Ref:1809025)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
The question that rises is: how much should the downforce be reduced?
Get rid of 70% of the current amount of downforce, by restricting the upper surface aero, and creating smaller rear wings.

Move the aero under the car, and make the rear wing (albeit smaller) positioned higher up to get it out of dirty air, and lower the front wing.

Make the rear diffuser bigger, and more efficient.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1809034)   #17
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Get rid of 70% of the current amount of downforce, by restricting the upper surface aero, and creating smaller rear wings.

Move the aero under the car, and make the rear wing (albeit smaller) positioned higher up to get it out of dirty air, and lower the front wing.

Make the rear diffuser bigger, and more efficient.
I've a crazy idea: ban all wings, except a small rear wing. The undertray should be almost unrestricted. See how close they can drive then.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1809081)   #18
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2007 technical regulations

Remember my post on another thread (I think). No areodynamic devices/ aids behind the rearmost point of the driver. No wings, no tunnels, no flaps.
Mind you some demented (like me) engineer/ designer would soon have the driver hung out behind the gearbox.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 23:14 (Ref:1809171)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
You can't make the wings smaller (sponsor space is important),but you can make them less effective.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 23:31 (Ref:1809177)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
You can't make the wings smaller (sponsor space is important),but you can make them less effective.
Its a wonder then the teams don't complain about the wing sizes they are "forced" to run at Monza, as you can barely see the sponsors on those wings.

I'm sure a rear wing solution could be achieved which provides *some* downforce, but not a lot, without compromising ad space too much.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 00:23 (Ref:1809197)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

I'm sure a rear wing solution could be achieved which provides *some* downforce, but not a lot, without compromising ad space too much.
Personally I'd prefer to see wings restricted to birds and aeroplanes (perhaps even written as such in the regulations).It's then up to the teams to come up with some novel ideas for sponsorship space (but I'd also prefer that the cars weren't plastered in ads either).

"*some*" downforce could be created from the rest of the car,which will keep the engineers happy.

Last edited by Marbot; 8 Jan 2007 at 00:29.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1809426)   #22
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
With ground effects the teams will have larger side-pods. Enough space for sponsors then.