Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 May 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3081792)   #1
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Digital Camber Gauge

Just come across this... http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html

Compared to the motorsport ones its a lot cheaper. But these so call motorsport ones, why are they better? I have seen a few places use a standard angle gauge sold at places like machine mart etc with a 50-100% increase in price, just because they mark it as a camber gauge.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produc...ent%20Products

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/digital-angle-finder.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...l+angle+finder

can do the same job no?
Old 30 May 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3081810)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, they do the same job just as well. I use a length of aluminium box section that sits on the rim of the wheel (i.e. not on the tyre that bulges at the bottom). Total cost about £20.

Plus you can use it for setting wings, checking chassis levelness, levelling setup floors...

The expensive Demon Tweeks one is essentially a fancy version of my length of aluminium. Why bother.
Old 30 May 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3081821)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Yup, Demon Tweeks one uses a builders level on a fancy bit of aluminium, I fell for that one a few years ago when I paid about £150 for something that can be made for about £10
Old 30 May 2012, 17:48 (Ref:3082003)   #4
RF_Racer
Veteran

Thanks, Thats what I will be using a bit of ali box section with one of these digi angle gauges.
Old 30 May 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3082008)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Even cheaper I think you can get a smart phone App. Sure someone showed me something like that. I am just trying Clinometer. 79p! Just tried it on my HTC Radar its brilliant!
Old 30 May 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3082025)   #6
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Even cheaper I think you can get a smart phone App. Sure someone showed me something like that. I am just trying Clinometer. 79p! Just tried it on my HTC Radar its brilliant!
I tried one too on my nokia, pretty good, does whole number and not to decimal places but as its not flat phone, slightly curved (its hard to get it super flat and mount it accordingly)
Old 30 May 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3082175)   #7
RF_Racer
Veteran

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/6671/...g#.T8agxsWwW1w

Came across this, looks interesting.. but expensive!
Old 31 May 2012, 06:02 (Ref:3082243)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes the HTC is nice and square like the i-phone so works well
Old 3 Jun 2012, 02:16 (Ref:3084102)   #9
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have been using one of these angle digital angle gauges for about three years now. I initially bought it to set up my table saw and then it dawned on me that it can be used for camber and direct reading of the caster strut angle for want of a better term. You can buy them cheaper from Ebay without the Wixey brand on them.

I can build you a four wheel alignment system that would be in the realm of the club racer, read CHEAP and you will not have to use a tape measure at all! The racing trade would not like it though as it would be a quarter of the price of present systems and they would lose money. To cap it all this system would be super accurate as it would be all digital. I use a version of it now and we measure nothing with a tape measure as it is all visual/digital. It might be something that I do a bit later on as I haven't got the time at the moment though the concept is all there and works.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3084247)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I downloaded that free of charge AL.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3085842)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
So did I!