Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Nov 2020, 16:59 (Ref:4017899)   #1976
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alex Jacques gets the C4 lead commentator role
Old 19 Nov 2020, 17:19 (Ref:4017901)   #1977
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Well, I've never heard of him Greem (I do lead a sheltered life) and look forward to seeing/hearing how he does...
Old 19 Nov 2020, 17:27 (Ref:4017904)   #1978
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Well, I've never heard of him Greem (I do lead a sheltered life) and look forward to seeing/hearing how he does...
Heard him on 5Live a few times.
Nothing really stood out as annoying or memorably disastrous, so I guess that's a good thing.
Comes across as a competent journalist and broadcaster who knows the sport well and can lead commentary with no issue.
Old 19 Nov 2020, 17:39 (Ref:4017906)   #1979
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
You'll know his voice if you've watched any GP2/F2 coverage since the 2016 season, as he's the voice of the World Feed (alongside the hilariously excitable David Valsecchi).

He also commentates on the official F1 Pit Lane Channel.

I think he's pretty good TBH.
Old 19 Nov 2020, 20:22 (Ref:4017928)   #1980
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I thought I had heard that name before. I will probably need to look up those commentaries of F2/GP2 to get in the mood for him next year
Old 19 Nov 2020, 20:51 (Ref:4017933)   #1981
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I thought I had heard that name before. I will probably need to look up those commentaries of F2/GP2 to get in the mood for him next year
Try these clips - you might recognise the voice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p076dxj2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p069plsl
Old 19 Nov 2020, 22:44 (Ref:4017945)   #1982
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I recognise the sound of nothing
Old 20 Nov 2020, 06:04 (Ref:4017976)   #1983
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Yes, I recognise the sound of nothing
Ok, does this link work?

https://www.globalplayer.com/podcasts/episodes/7DrZvog/
Old 20 Nov 2020, 06:22 (Ref:4017977)   #1984
S griffin
Veteran

No, I can't even click on it.
Old 20 Nov 2020, 06:43 (Ref:4017981)   #1985
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
No, I can't even click on it.
Can you copy + paste into your browser?
Old 20 Nov 2020, 11:33 (Ref:4018012)   #1986
S griffin
Veteran

The link works now, but I’ll probably have to download it
Old 29 Nov 2020, 11:14 (Ref:4019357)   #1987
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I see Lee McKenzie has been doing some of the rugby recently
Old 29 Nov 2020, 11:35 (Ref:4019360)   #1988
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
She does the rugby every year, usually the Scotland matches, either BBC or C4.
Old 29 Nov 2020, 12:28 (Ref:4019362)   #1989
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
I wonder if there is a Rugby forum out there with posts complaining about a journalist presenting, rather than an ex-player?

Old 8 Feb 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4034131)   #1990
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2020 season TV numbers.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...aign=widget-22

from the link: The total TV audience for 2020 was 1.5 billion, which compares to 1.9 billion viewers in 2019.

up in some markets but overall down...attributed to less races but from my own understanding, most sports suffered from a decrease in TV numbers due to format changes, more news watching, households cutting costs, and bingeing content via different platforms.

surprisingly the Hungarian GP was the most watched of the year...but i dont recall this being a particularly good race and considering some of the crackers we had last year, a bit of a missed opportunity there for F1.

the Portuguese GP, which i enjoyed, also did well in terms of viewers...will this translate into it becoming a permeant event?

also curious to know if the back to backs at the same venue resulted in a decline in viewership for the 2nd race weekend.
Old 8 Feb 2021, 17:38 (Ref:4034138)   #1991
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Maybe it was because people were exciting about the prospect of a wet race in Hungary. The fact that the rain never came makes me think that the Hungarian GP was the most disappointing race of the season. I would have thought that Sakhir would have the most viewers because of the excitement surrounding George Russell's Mercedes debut.
Old 8 Feb 2021, 18:24 (Ref:4034148)   #1992
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Maybe it was because people were exciting about the prospect of a wet race in Hungary. The fact that the rain never came makes me think that the Hungarian GP was the most disappointing race of the season. I would have thought that Sakhir would have the most viewers because of the excitement surrounding George Russell's Mercedes debut.
I don't know re: Russell. I suspect it would have negligible effect on viewership as the fans will tune in anyway and those with only a passing interest in F1 would not be particularly extra-swayed by a relatively unknown Brit driving for the big guns. Or perhaps they wouldn't even know he was.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 16:02 (Ref:4034285)   #1993
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with so many paywalls in effect maybe it just wasnt possible for more people to watch or conversely, the lack of LH took away far more viewers then were added by Russell's one off promotion?

the article also mentions increased viewership by the Dutch...Max was basically out of that race from the beginning so perhaps that had an overall effect.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 16:33 (Ref:4034291)   #1994
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
with so many paywalls in effect maybe it just wasnt possible for more people to watch or conversely, the lack of LH took away far more viewers then were added by Russell's one off promotion?

the article also mentions increased viewership by the Dutch...Max was basically out of that race from the beginning so perhaps that had an overall effect.

A 22% drop in overall viewers is not something to be proud of, especially when you consider that more people around the world spent greater amounts of time watching the box and/or online because of the pandemic.

I would imagine that UK's viewing figures dropped since only the British GP was shown live on free to air TV, otherwise it was behind a paywall or just a highlights programme later in the day.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4034293)   #1995
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I would imagine that UK's viewing figures dropped since only the British GP was shown live on free to air TV, otherwise it was behind a paywall or just a highlights programme later in the day.
I've certainly watched a lot less F1 since it went to Sky. I used to watch all of the qualifying sessions and races (either live or recorded), last season I hardly watched any qualifying at all, none of the races live and if the race was described as "dull" then I didn't bother with the highlights.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4034302)   #1996
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A 22% drop in overall viewers is not something to be proud of, especially when you consider that more people around the world spent greater amounts of time watching the box and/or online because of the pandemic.
but what are they watching on the box? from what i know about n.america, all the major sports here saw a reduction in viewership in 2020.

people may be watching more TV, but overall they were watching less sports in 2020.

as way of comparison, the Indy 500 saw a 32% decline in 2020 and thats not as bad as what other leagues here experienced.

https://twitter.com/paulsen_smw/stat...89039410982913

but overall, i agree that the larger issue is that people are not interested the stand alone paywalls that most sports operate behind these days.

covid exposed this problem in a very glaring way.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4034317)   #1997
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but what are they watching on the box? from what i know about n.america, all the major sports here saw a reduction in viewership in 2020.

people may be watching more TV, but overall they were watching less sports in 2020.

as way of comparison, the Indy 500 saw a 32% decline in 2020 and thats not as bad as what other leagues here experienced.

https://twitter.com/paulsen_smw/stat...89039410982913

but overall, i agree that the larger issue is that people are not interested the stand alone paywalls that most sports operate behind these days.

covid exposed this problem in a very glaring way.
It may be that those who didn't watch could no longer afford to subscribe?
Old 9 Feb 2021, 18:19 (Ref:4034325)   #1998
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
indeed.

things were trending this way even before covid and no doubt its more of an issue now because of coivd.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4034328)   #1999
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post

Or they didn't want to pay for a Sky subscription on top of the TV License fee, not because they couldn't afford it.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 18:48 (Ref:4034332)   #2000
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Or they didn't want to pay for a Sky subscription on top of the TV License fee, not because they couldn't afford it.

Tags
pinks