Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Jan 2002, 06:02 (Ref:207156)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre-Qualifying Rules Change Again For Adelaide

It appears AVESCO have decided to shift the goal posts yet again with Pre-qualifying for Adelaide.

It is no longer only the third car that has to pre-qualify as it will be the top 25 FRANCHISES who automatically go through - albeit any 3rd cars will have to still pre-qualify.

So - what does this mean?

Fred Gibsons franchise was recently sold to Briggs Motorsport - leaving Craig Lowndes in the position he now has to pre-qualify.

AVESCO are now, according to Auto Action, facing a number of legal challenges over this.

And, to be perfectly honest, I hope the challenges eventuate and wiin - AVESCO appear to be doing everything in their power lately to try and completely stuff the supposedly top level of motorsport in Australia and making it a laughing stock.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 06:16 (Ref:207164)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like in-fighting is about to break out in earnest...

Wonder where it will lead?

Self destruction would be nice. Except that CAMS might get control again...
Old 31 Jan 2002, 06:50 (Ref:207179)   #3
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One wonders just how much more garbage from AVESCO the teams and fans will put up with. They seem to want to keep on " refining " the series, when , lets face it, they had built it into a succesful formula.Credit where it's due but this is now becoming ludicrous.TC seems to think he is GOD, he's more important than Indy, ( and next he'll be saying its bigger than F1), and he wants to run a night race as they don't need lighting, he'll just bend over and drop his pants

Lay off the prozac TC, you're a seriously deluded MF IMO
Old 31 Jan 2002, 07:01 (Ref:207182)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
One wonders ....he wants to run a night race as they don't need lighting, he'll just bend over and drop his pants
As you know, I'm not usually given to posting smilies... but that one...

... or worse:

Last edited by Ray Bell; 31 Jan 2002 at 07:03.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 10:43 (Ref:207240)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great call

With any luck this could be the final straw and we can say bye bye to AVESCO and Tony Cochrane.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 11:32 (Ref:207263)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

I don't believe AVESCO will disappear too soon - TC and some of the top heavy people, maybe, but not the body itself.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 11:47 (Ref:207273)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well maybe not, but we can dream, can't we.
Another thing that annoyed me a little is that just to watch pre qualifying is will set you back $15. I think thats a little steep, however with all these top guys having ago, it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 11:54 (Ref:207278)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

Thats roughly $15 for one or possibly two at most practice sessins - 30 to 45 mins in lenght, and one qualifying session - again 30-45 mins.

Good value? debatable IMHO
Old 31 Jan 2002, 13:24 (Ref:207356)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep ..sure saounds like a complete debacle to me ..and im sure the teams wont put up with it.

shaonky stuff indeed.

and did I also read correctly that the adelaide pre qual session will actually be held at mallala ????

if thats the case then someone has ran right off the rails in the organization stakes ..thats just plain silly

one wonders how long this madness will be allowed to continue ????
Old 3 Feb 2002, 04:11 (Ref:209353)   #10
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to read Cattach's comments where he is confident all top runner will be at the starting line, that to me sound like if one of the top guys has a mishap in qualifing then they (Avesco) will pull something out of there hat (there is a 'Cams' word for this), and they will be allowed to start the race.

I love the new look site too.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 05:02 (Ref:209357)   #11
Fulton
Rookie

Fulton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
yep ..sure saounds like a complete debacle to me ..and im sure the teams wont put up with it.

shaonky stuff indeed.

and did I also read correctly that the adelaide pre qual session will actually be held at mallala ????

if thats the case then someone has ran right off the rails in the organization stakes ..thats just plain silly

one wonders how long this madness will be allowed to continue ????
I guess they chose the track because it lacks the concrete walls that Adelaide has. If it was held at Adelaide there would be carnage!
Old 3 Feb 2002, 05:44 (Ref:209367)   #12
Fan05
Rookie

Fan05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know AVESO aren't pefect but do we want to get back to the days when a motor racing event was only a rumour. Today motor is presented better than 5 years ago, on TV especially, look at attendances at meetings, look at the amount of motor sport on TV now free to air as well a pay.

With regard to paying approx.$15 to see a qualifying session with from what I can see a good line up of cars and drivers what about the famous 20 min races and we all paid an arm and many legs to watch.

My biggest complaint is what comes along with the V8's at meetings. We need support races but there is a time and place for all. Quality supports makes a quality meeting not just a V8 supercar race.

Like I said its not great but it's a hell of alot better.

P.S Just a thought maybe the teams need to get their act together.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 07:18 (Ref:209405)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a lovely farce....

The original plan for who would have to prequalify was pretty shonky....but now the new system going by franchises... well is anyone bar Tony Longhurst agreeing with it?? It's stupid, let them race.

But then again, someone sitting behind a desk in a suit will tell you that if you aren't fast enough, then go and race in the Konica Series. Which is fair enough. BUT, if all of the new 3/4/5/9 car teams rock up to Adelaide and front up to prequalifying, we are going to have a situation where quality, level 1, outright contenders will certainly be forced to sit the weekend out- and that is lunacy.

If there is a race which needs pitstops, then only allow the number of cars on the grid for the number of bays in the pit lane. Heck, the 2 car teams can't pit at the same time, so there should be plenty of space in many pitlanes.

I don't like it.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 08:12 (Ref:209418)   #14
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Fulton
I guess they chose the track because it lacks the concrete walls that Adelaide has. If it was held at Adelaide there would be carnage!
My guess is that Mallala was chosen for all the logical reasons... that is location (it's the only other circuit within 650km or something...), availability and as a sop to owner, Clem Smith, who lost all his income from the V8s three years ago. Presumably he can sell tickets for spectators to watch the shenanigans.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fan05
I know AVESCO aren't perfect, but do we want to get back to the days when a motor racing event was only a rumour? Today motor is presented better than 5 years ago, on TV especially, look at attendances at meetings, look at the amount of motor sport on TV now free to air as well a pay.
Maybe it is... maybe there is more on TV and better coverage in other areas, but I don't think AVESCO is entirely the reason for that. Shell pumping dollars into the series had a big impact.

The problem is that everything has been done to the detriment of the other classes, the ones you are wanting for support races. The money is being siphoned off in big chunks to pay the V8s exhorbitant figures.

And the real circuits are being bled dry as AVESCO seeks out road-course replacements with Government funding. Don't kid yourself, Lakeside didn't go bust for nothing, nor is Wanneroo happy about their lot, Symmons about theirs or Mallala.

The demands they have made for facilities for their fancy teams have forced them into debts, and always with the constant risk that they won't get another profitable meeting next year to pay that debt!
Old 3 Feb 2002, 09:33 (Ref:209436)   #15
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
P.S Just a thought maybe the teams need to get their act together.
Why the teams? This is none of their doing. AVESCO are the ones who have been moving the goal posts, NOT the teams.

I think you will find that until lat week ALL the teams expected the top 25 DRIVERS to go straight through - then AVESCO said it was the top 25 CARS, and now they have said the top 25 cars according to franchise owner.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 09:48 (Ref:209443)   #16
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering all of this, I'd like to put myself forward for the top job at AVESCO. I'll take a pay cut of TC's pay, say about half of what he is getting paid. I'll even drive myself to each event so that I have to pay those travel costs.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 10:05 (Ref:209451)   #17
Ray Bell
Veteran

No good there... you aren't enough of a pig to qualify for the job.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 10:21 (Ref:209458)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why all the entries can't just all turn up and then try to qualify, and the first 40 or whatever get into the race. does it have something to do with the amount of space in the Adelaide paddock.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 11:22 (Ref:209502)   #19
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

My biggest complaint is what comes along with the V8's at meetings. We need support races but there is a time and place for all. Quality supports makes a quality meeting not just a V8 supercar race.
The V8 organisers (now there is an oxymoron) don't want quality supports because the quality supports show up there class by doing things like passing and racing. The class I am involved with used to be supporting some rounds with good spectator feed back but we were told that we were stealing the show so now they only have supports that pay them to be there.
Quote:
Like I said its not great but it's a hell of alot better.
It used to be good to watch cars passing one another but those days are gone.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 01:49 (Ref:212099)   #20
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
I don't know why all the entries can't just all turn up and then try to qualify, and the first 40 or whatever get into the race. does it have something to do with the amount of space in the Adelaide paddock.
Because that would be too much like a motor race.
TC runs a business remember.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 06:05 (Ref:212864)   #21
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
It used to be good to watch cars passing one another but those days are gone.
Ah, yes... did any of you read my rather lengthy posts in the 'best touring car race you've seen' thread?

Variety and passing... something that's been missing for a long time.