Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Nov 2003, 20:07 (Ref:777141)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is replacing Player's?

ok, Paul Tracy has been saying for some time now that there is a sponsor stepping in to replace Player's at Forsythe and he reiterated it again this weekend, however they're waiting until their contract with Player's is completely done, to ensure they get maximum exposure before announcing the new guy...

so, who's the new guy? A brewery? Throughout the season there were lots of rumours around Molson, Labatts...and I even heard Miller with an American driver coming to the team(though I think that's long dead).

So, let's throw open the floor to wild guesses and rumours.... forget that, who would you like to see?

Last edited by Jay; 8 Nov 2003 at 20:08.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Nov 2003, 21:26 (Ref:777198)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Nine months ago, Forsythe himself alluded to a "European sponsor". That was then, this is now...

Two Canuck drivers may make it a hard sell to anybody but a Canadian company. But the championship certainly won't hurt their search!
Old 8 Nov 2003, 21:43 (Ref:777207)   #3
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Miller returns to Cart It would make sense that they would return to Team Rahal where they had been sponsors before Gigante. Wasn't there talk about an aviation company.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 22:53 (Ref:777246)   #4
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beer companies in Canada can only sponsor events, not individuals or teams.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 23:47 (Ref:777263)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
There must be loop holes around that though, as they sponsor just about every major sports team in Canada... For example, a friend of mine has a jacket that has "Molson - Proud Sponsor of the Ottawa Senators".
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 Nov 2003, 01:18 (Ref:777297)   #6
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bombardier sponsors CART. Not sure how they would sell airplanes by sponsoring an individual racing team. They do sell snowmobiles and personal watercraft as well. Possibility?
Old 9 Nov 2003, 01:42 (Ref:777303)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not Indeck Energy Systems?

Red Bull anyone?? Its been linked everywhere else, why not here?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Nov 2003, 01:54 (Ref:777310)   #8
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
They do sell snowmobiles and personal watercraft as well.
Actually, Bombardier sold its snowmobile subsiduary, Skidoo, earlier this year. They're still a huge transportation company, and they make planes and trains and stuff, but it's a shame they sold the part of the company that started it all for them.

Last edited by Omega99; 9 Nov 2003 at 01:54.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 16:51 (Ref:777986)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Jay... I've got a hat that reads, "Molson - Proud Sponsor of the Detroit Red Wings." This leads me to think that they sponsor every NHL team to some capacity, in effect sponsoring the league as opposed to any one individual team. To the best of my knowledge, mirwin's post is correct. Perhaps Molsonboy can clarify for us?
Old 9 Nov 2003, 17:55 (Ref:778034)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
you may be right...I just think there has to be some loop holes around it.. when was the legislation changed? They used to sponsor cars in the 90s...
Old 9 Nov 2003, 20:30 (Ref:778142)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Here's a reply to an email I sent Molson back in June. I asked them the question about events/teams outright, and mentioned their previous sponsorship of Danny Sullivan. The reply was so short, I'd think that their email-readers are paid by commission!

Thank you for your interest in Molson. It is true that we do not sponsor teams or individuals, only events. It is different in the US, so it would have been possible for an individual or team to be sponsored there in the past.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 18:33 (Ref:779069)   #12
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you can't have a beer company as a sponsor same probably goes for the whiskey, too, so no Seagrams whiskey either. But how about Para Ordnance?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 10 Nov 2003, 21:09 (Ref:779186)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a Canadian Vodka sponsoring an Atlantics team.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 05:45 (Ref:779495)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Interesting, Liz. Thanks for the tidbit.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 17:14 (Ref:781202)   #15
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's the one then, Seagrams, the most known canadian product since Pontiac Laurentian and Acadian Canso.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 12 Nov 2003, 19:29 (Ref:781323)   #16
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the government kicking in some dough since they cost them their sponsorship in the first place? Then they can dress like Mounties.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 19:34 (Ref:781330)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I'd love your idea, Bizz, but the taxpayers would scream.

Molson, Labatt or Seagrams's would be sooo cool. They could wear a new livery practically every week, for the number of brands that each one makes! Molson could run a white "Canadian" car one week, red "Export" the next, and then a silver "Dry" car...