Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1374220)   #1
schuman
Rookie

schuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi replacing Schumacher in 2006

Source: F1action.com

Quote:
Ferrari are to replace Michael Schumacher at the end of the season, with Kimi Räikkönen …according to the News of the World.

If McLaren fail to retain Räikkönen’s services for the 2006 season, he will be snapped up by the Italian team and replace a retiring Michael Schumacher, so says an unnamed Ferrari source. We suspect the unamed source is Ruben’s Barrichello, playing a 'last day at school' practical joke before he leaves Ferrari.

“Michael has done it all. He has won seven World Titles and holds just about every record there is in the sport - apart from the number of pole positions.” Said the unnamed Ferrari source.

“If he gets that, as he is likely to do this season, he has hinted he will call it a day. The pole position mark is the only worthwhile record left he has to break.”

Might it be added, Schumacher has on countless occasions stated, clearly, records are not what motivates him.

When commenting on his future Räikkönen said. “I have not made up my mind about my future. I don't know what is happening yet.”

“Maybe I stay with McLaren because I am happy with all the people there, even if we have had some difficult times. But we need to work in a better way just to make sure the car is very reliable.” Concluded the 25-year-old Finn.
okok The news of the world, is that the first clue that this story is probably a wasted read?

Why would Kimi leave McLaren for Ferrari? When McLaren are trouncing Ferrari despite their reliability woes?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1374225)   #2
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Unnamed Ferrari Source
I like cabbage. Cabbage and octopus, that's what we use to power our cars with. With the power of Cabbage, Octopus and dark, dark magics, we plan on hiring Kimi Raikonenn in 2006.
Look, I can make stuff up too!
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1374226)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Schumacher retiring after 2006 and Kimi then going to Ferrari IF he hasn't won a title with McLaren by then is a much more credible scenario.

But even then Schumacher should have to retire and Kimi would have to be unhappy at McLaren to leave.

The only fact in the story is that Ross Brawn has expressed on occasion that he really likes Kimi.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1374228)   #4
schuman
Rookie

schuman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
haha, someone at Ferrari is getting fired for leaking that top secret info! i expect to see a cabbage and octopus powered Red bull and Toyota in Turkey

Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1374235)   #5
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza

that was * ace

does cabbage and octopus taste like chicken?

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Aug 2005 at 11:29. Reason: Autocensor dodge, see FAQ.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1374242)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dunno 'bout cabbage, but octopussy tastes like chicken iirc!
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1374249)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Everything tastes like chicken (One for Radio 2 fans there).

The fact that we are talking about such irrelevances gives an indication to the strength of this one.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1374253)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think his quote says it all. - “I have not made up my mind about my future. I don't know what is happening yet.”
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1374256)   #9
GolddustMini
Veteran

sorry adam it wasn't a purposeful censorship dodge, i often type that instead of **** as its how i say it. sowwy!
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1374257)   #10
GolddustMini
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Everything tastes like chicken (One for Radio 2 fans there).

The fact that we are talking about such irrelevances gives an indication to the strength of this one.
strange, because according to micheal stipe aluminium tastes like fear..... which negates your comment, that is off course assuming that fear doesnt in itself taste like chicken....
Old 7 Aug 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1374270)   #11
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
(One for Radio 2 fans there)
Who's that then?!
Old 7 Aug 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1374323)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Michael gets the poles record, he is more likely to retire in my view, especially if he's worried about 2006 competitiveness. If he does retire, Kimi is surely first choice for them, and could feasibly choose to make the move, either out of frustration or blinded by a big salary. It's possible, but there are a lot of maybes in any case.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1374327)   #13
F1_KING
Rookie

Australia
F1 WORLD
F1_KING has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its possible, kimi seems to be getting fed up with the reliablity problem at mclaren, he wants to be the champ and ferrari are very capable of giving him a car to do that like they have done for MS.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1374330)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I thought he was not motivated by records though? The worries that Ferrari would have for next season are the same for everyone of course. I agree with you that Kimi would be their first choice, the only way that is going to happen is if Ferrari offer him an unbelievable amount of money. How much does he get paid at McLaren, Boots do you know by any chance?
Old 7 Aug 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1374333)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only people who know that are Ron and Kimi - and I can't see Ron letting him go.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1374366)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
I'd say Schumacher retiring after 2006 and Kimi then going to Ferrari IF he hasn't won a title with McLaren by then is a much more credible scenario.

But even then Schumacher should have to retire and Kimi would have to be unhappy at McLaren to leave.

The only fact in the story is that Ross Brawn has expressed on occasion that he really likes Kimi.
I agree, this is much more likely, but then this is F1, so anything can happen!
Old 7 Aug 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1374373)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I found this somewhere in the ethernet>>>>>>>>>>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Brawn
We are obviously aware that the Michael will retire one day, but of course he'll come back the day after that. (sorry bad joke). We at Ferrari have been reviewing our future machinery control interface opportunities and to be perfectly honest there is little choice.

The Kimi Raiknnen model certainly has the technique but does it come with the pronounced chin ver 1.3 and the arogance ver 1.4 programmes? We think not. So we are looking at David Coulthard instead.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1374377)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent!
Old 8 Aug 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1374865)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find the bit about Michael retiring at the end of this season not as believable as the notion of Kimi leaving McLaren. However Kimi is contracted until end of 2006 - if McLaren don't win the titles this year and/or next then I can't see how Ron Dennis will manage to hold on to him, especially if 2006 turns out to be MS's last year.

The comments on here about the relative quality of McLaren and Ferrari teams are well off for the most part - Ferrari's five season string of dominance (with performance AND reliability setting ever higher standards) is virtually unprecedented and makes the superior speed of the current McLaren look like a flash in the pan. When (note: not if) Bridgestone get their tyres somewhere close then Ferrari wil be well and truly back and winning.

Also - don't forget it is all-new engines next year... if you had to bet on a company which would produce reliable and powerful engines to a brand new formula you wouldn't be throwing money on Mercedes.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1374906)   #20
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren won 6 constructor and 7 driver titles (including 3 drivers championship 1-2s)in an 8-season stretch some years ago though Glen. And at thelast significant regulation change they were initially dominant. All the signs are that the top people will soon leave Ferrari, and a transitional period is quite possible.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1374920)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both Mclaren and Ferrari would experience transition in the near future.

At Ferrari, Bryne is set to retire in 2007. And so is Brawn & Michael. However, Ferrari would have little difficulty in attracting some top names to take over the positions, although right now, Ferrari seem to be commited to nurture successors from within the organisation.

At Mclaren, Newey had extended his contract no doubt, but he won't be around for many more years if recent events had not indicated his preference to try something else. Ron Dennis is also looking likely to step down in the foreseeable future, and that Mercedes may look to taking over a larger part of the stake.

The results this year may prove to sway the mind of young Kimi. In Ferrari's worst season in half a decade, Ferrari still find themselves within shot of Kimi and Mclaren. That is quite unsettling. No doubt, Mclaren has an amazingly quick package, but it is also quite a known fact that as long as Bridgestone manage a decent tyre, the gap to Mclaren would be significantly closed.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1374947)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
McLaren won 6 constructor and 7 driver titles (including 3 drivers championship 1-2s)in an 8-season stretch some years ago though Glen. And at thelast significant regulation change they were initially dominant. All the signs are that the top people will soon leave Ferrari, and a transitional period is quite possible.
I guess I should have used a stronger phrase than virtually unprecedented. Plus, they didn't actualy do it all in an unbroken stretch.

I think it is pretty much unarguable that the standards of both relentless pace and more or less perfect reliability that Ferrari have set during this most recent period have exceeded anything seen before - certainly they are the standards that McLaren are reaching for but failing to attain at the moment.

The last significant regulation change for engines was to make them last two races - a challenge which McLaren Mercedes have rather glaringly failed to meet. I'd agree that Ilmoor did make a fantastic name for themselves when they first had success - but those days are rather long-gone now and they have faied to live up to that reputation.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1374951)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They were managing the two-race thing fine until practice at Magny Cours...
Old 8 Aug 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1374957)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Then perhaps they should take my advice and slow the things down a tiny bit and get back some reliability.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1374992)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
At Ferrari, Bryne is set to retire in 2007. And so is Brawn & Michael.
Well, not quite. Schumacher's current contract expires at the end of 2006, but he has never set a retirement date. On the contrary, the indications he has given are that, if he was still enjoying racing and was still competitive, he'd continue. My gut feeling is, and has for some time been, that we won't be saying goodbye to Schumacher for some time yet. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him on the grid in 2007 and 2008, and I wouldn't be all that taken aback to see him in 2009 or even 2010. After all, although he'll be forty in 2009, he's as fit as anyone now and there's no reason for that to diminish. If Ferrari remains competitive, he can be winning races and titles in his 40s. Never underestimate how much Michael Schumacher loves driving a racing car.