Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Sep 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2962405)   #1
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercars looks to ditch Hamilton

Article here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...ditch-Hamilton

Good to see they're looking elsewhere in NZ.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2962408)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Going back to the tradional home that is Pukekohe?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2962410)   #3
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its bid for the race assets strongly suggests a street race in another city.
Wellington Street race? Please
Old 29 Sep 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2962411)   #4
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or perhaps they want to sell the assets to the Filipinos
Old 29 Sep 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2962423)   #5
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would do everyone a favour if they went back to a permanent race circuit.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2962425)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
Would do everyone a favour if they went back to a permanent race circuit.
well except all the extra people that went to hamilton over the permanent circuit
Old 29 Sep 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2962464)   #7
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the ITM 400 this year, the weather wasn't ideal, to be fair. There was still a solid crowd. A few things happened a bit last minute, but there was a recession on.

The new management team did really well to pull together after a period of uncertainty under the previous management.

New Zealand is deemed to be a key market for V8 Supercars - even TC has said that so it must be true

At this year's event, the owners of Hampton Downs met with V8 Supercar management for what seemed like at least a discussion. The issue with Hampton is the track isn't complete, not all of the facilities are complete, and even having V8 Supercars in the bag mightn't be enough to convince the bank to let the last piece of tarmac get laid and the facilities completed. And a "substandard" track would contravine the whole push for a street race in the first place.

So what do they do now?

Well, this poses quite a challenge. Let's look at the various permanent circuits with a broad brush rather than specific critique:

Teretonga and Levels: Essentially goat tracks that lack Supercar crowd facilities

Ruapuna: Uncertainty over earthquakes and a lack of decent facilties to cope with the Supercar crowds

Manfeild: Maybe - issues being accommodation to house everyone and the ability to house a large crowd

Taupo: The A1GP didn't exactly flourish there and that may be because of our love for V8 engined touring cars as opposed to single-seaters. Taupo would also struggle to cope with a decent V8 Supercar crowd when it comes to accommodation. There would be significant reliance on Rotorua, Hastings, Napier, and probably Hamilton (how ironic!!) to house everyone.

All of these (essentially) provincial race circuits would require a large influx of visitors to make the race viable. Seemingly this is what Hamilton has seemed to lack as ticket are preferentially released to the locals. Can these tracks afford to take a punt on the "hold it and they will come" mentality and risk profile?

That leaves Hampton Downs and Pukekohe. Is Hampton up to the standard that V8 Supercars demand? Going back to Pukekohe would be a bitter pill to swallow for a series that had "far outgrown the venue" and needed to move to a street circuit to remain in New Zealand.

So, this raises an interesting question/dilemma: If not Hamilton, where?

Where do you think?

Keep an eye out for some ideas coming soon!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2962479)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JDI, help me out with something please

I was always given the impression that the v8's had to leave Pukekohe because the horse racing track wanted to take over, obviously that didn't happen

was, i mislead, or was there a change of plans?

Thanks
Old 29 Sep 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2962646)   #9
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
So, this raises an interesting question/dilemma: If not Hamilton, where?

Where do you think?

Keep an eye out for some ideas coming soon!
Very nicely put JDI, more questions raised than answers. And as you have alluded to, things, would need to change in any of those venues to make a V8SC race viable.

Personally I would love to see the race happen at HD,on the full circuit, and have no doubt that it will eventually host some very big race meetings. Tony Roberts and co. are a passionate bunch of motorsport nuts, who have put their hearts and souls into this venue and like many others here in NZ I really want to see this place succeed. But a lot of work still required to complete.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2962712)   #10
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
street circuits v permanent facilities

Its much harder for the V8 money men to raid the public purse at permanent facilities but it is possible.

Is this a step down that path?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2962713)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
JDI, help me out with something please

I was always given the impression that the v8's had to leave Pukekohe because the horse racing track wanted to take over, obviously that didn't happen

was, i mislead, or was there a change of plans?

Thanks
I don't think anyone was mislead as such. I'm pretty sure that this was the case and then the circumstances changed.

Pukekohe used to get the 4th biggest Friday crowd of any V8 Supercar event. The trouble was, come Sunday, you were packed in and really there was no growth opportunity.

I can't remember if it was the year before ITM became naming rights sponsor or the first year that they were, but it was on either the Saturday or the Sunday that Hamilton was under 1000 tickets from being fully sold out and may have got as low as 500!

The gouging that goes on in the hospitality sector for accommodation is amazing. One motel that is close to the circuit - a very short walk indeed - I can usually stay at for $125-150 a night any day of the year. Stayed there the night before the night of the recent Rugby World Cup match in Hamilton for $225 - not a rugby fan, had no idea of the game happening, huge surprise.

To calm my disbelief, the motelier pulled out a rate card and points to my $225. I asked what the $300 a night deal was for and was told that is for Fieldays and the V8 Supercars when Hamilton fills up.

V8 Supercar TV have stayed at this place - I thought Wow, money for jam there! They'd fill it I'd reckon and at $300 a night.

So lots of Aucklanders don't bother going. This year, I could've easily filled a 50-seat coach with the number of people I know who don't go because of the accommodation cost or the travel time. The drive can be two hours in each direction I am reliably told.

V8 Supercars could go a long way by running trains from Britomart in Auckland stopping all the way to Hamilton and then have shuttle buses going between the train station and the track.

Judging by the shock announcement from Shane Howard, you have to wonder if they have lost their heart for the event, which is actually really sad if that is the case.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2962715)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Its much harder for the V8 money men to raid the public purse at permanent facilities but it is possible.

Is this a step down that path?
Only time will tell, but to execute the strategy you speak of, the event would have to be at Pukekohe or Hampton Downs one would imagine.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2962718)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Very nicely put JDI, more questions raised than answers. And as you have alluded to, things, would need to change in any of those venues to make a V8SC race viable.

Personally I would love to see the race happen at HD,on the full circuit, and have no doubt that it will eventually host some very big race meetings. Tony Roberts and co. are a passionate bunch of motorsport nuts, who have put their hearts and souls into this venue and like many others here in NZ I really want to see this place succeed. But a lot of work still required to complete.
You are right, brown dog.

The question would be how would Hampton Downs cope with that sized crowd, what would happen with the apartments, and where would all the corporate suites go?
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2962722)   #14
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that V8SCA have realised that you can go broke running V8 Supercar events, this is something that the tracks have been saying for years as V8SCA kept hiking up their fees. V8SCA have stepped out of Symmons Plains and now out of Hamilton, who is next? Phillip Island?

Interestingly Winton is the only 'permanent' track to still run/promote their own event, all the rest have handed over the reins to V8SCA.

With the mega-bucks being spent on Eastern Creek to effectively make it a 5.0km circuit, with money handed over by the NEW NSW Government, how long before Tony et el will be told to shut down Homebush and move to E.C. if they want to continue to receive money to prop up their event.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2962735)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

In other interesting news, Auckland has now almost completed its rail loop, so we can now get round the larger metropolitan area south of the Harbour Bridge by train and north of the Harbour Bridge by dedicated bus lanes beside the motorway.

Now, ATEED is being run a fellow familiar with V8 Supercars by the name of Michael Redman - the very man who pushed to get the V8 Supercars to Hamilton.

A recent urgent meeting secured ATEED a peculiarly odd sum of millions to invest in securing events for the region. I wonder if Shane Howard has paid him a visit prior to or post wet-fishing the Hamilton City Council. Oh to have seen the look on Mayor Julie Hardaker's face. Now she has to justify a huge asset write-down to people of Hamilton if the race is relocated to Auckland or Wellington.

Auckland and Wellington both have the corporate support and the accommodation space to house everyone....and Auckland NEEDS something after the RWC sails out of town. Wellington has a Green Party mayor, so the very best of luck to them.....chances are mininal in the capital!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2962767)   #16
Just Do It!
Veteran

2012 will see the sun set on Hamilton officially!

Last edited by GTRMagic; 29 Sep 2011 at 23:56. Reason: Fixed the broken link!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 23:57 (Ref:2962768)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oooo eeerrrr! The sky is falling. Better stay indoors and watching the racing on the teev, not go to any events. The sky might fall on me.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Sep 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2962771)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The bigger issue is something that happened to Nascar and that is market saturation. V8SC races everywhere in Australia and NZ that could afford them and there isn't much room for growth. In the case of NZ, with the resource consent laws, getting things done is not easy.

There really isn't many options for NZ. Wellington I don't see happening. Hampton Downs has potential but they are a way from being able to accommodate the V8SC circus. Taupo, maybe, but I don't think the money is there for it. South Island, I always thought Christchurch was worth it, but after the earthquake I don't see that happening. Ruapuna is a nice track for what it is, but the club wouldn't or doesn't have the money to make that happen. So you have Auckland for street circuit potential.

Not a lot of good or realistic options. Hopefully something works out.

Hamilton I think they made a good go of it with what they had, but the circuit was pretty tight for V8SC.

It would seem strange for V8SC to abandon Hamilton for Pukehoke also.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2962779)   #19
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the bit to look at is:

Quote:
In that evaluation, ongoing challenges – including Hamilton’s distance from a major corporate centre, modest hotel infrastructure and the downturn of ticket sales in the Waikato region – have also been taken into account.
Really there's only two area's in New Zealand that would come under those, Auckland and Wellington.

Obviously Christchurch is in no state at the moment to be bidding for a V8 race or anything similar, even if the accommodation industry is likely to be back up and running before any event in what I would guess will be November 2013.

Wellington.... obviously it might be a bit of a challenge to get it past the greenie-mayor but hasn't it tried to sell itself as the 'events capital' of NZ for a while? it certainly has the hotel infrastructure, corporate background and a fairly strong economy to support a V8's event. Not too sure where you'd have a street race though? down by the waterfront would be nice, but way too disruptive for the city I would imagine.... Maybe Lower Hutt? then it's probably too far away fro the city & it's facilities.

And then we get back to Auckland, which has plenty of space, facilities and corporate support....
Old 30 Sep 2011, 01:47 (Ref:2962786)   #20
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
And then we get back to Auckland, which has plenty of space, facilities and corporate support....
With a different city structure and mayor to the last time this was attempted
Old 30 Sep 2011, 03:08 (Ref:2962789)   #21
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always believe the NZ swing of the series should be a two event deal with one on the North Island and the other on the South Island.

There's plenty of race tracks in NZ for them to play at but street circuits are easier to bleed government money from.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 04:36 (Ref:2962798)   #22
Just Do It!
Veteran

TC speaks and pretty much discounts Hampton Downs out of the equation
Old 30 Sep 2011, 05:40 (Ref:2962807)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bring Back Puke...or Buck.....or Both..
Hampton Downs is too bland.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 06:13 (Ref:2962811)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well that sounds like all she wrote and it's the end of the road.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 06:55 (Ref:2962823)   #25
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, good track to.