Old 30 May 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3255520)   #1
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford to return?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...ith-f1-return/

I'm skeptical -it would take a few more people reporting it to change that- but i'd love to see ford in F1, would make sense with F1 trying to increase it's presence in the US market.
Old 30 May 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3255544)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ford aren't the only ones thinking about producing an engine for F1. The more the merrier, I suppose.

http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/03/22/zy...-engine-rules/

Ford made an attempt at an F1 V6 turbo back in the 80's, but I think it was a bit late to the show. However, they do now have a whole range of road cars fitted with their 'Ecoboost' turbo petrol engines (1 litre to 3.5 litres), so perhaps it could be that Ford do have a very good reason to come back to F1.
Old 31 May 2013, 00:41 (Ref:3255767)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...ith-f1-return/

I'm skeptical -it would take a few more people reporting it to change that- but i'd love to see ford in F1, would make sense with F1 trying to increase it's presence in the US market.
Yes.. They could call it Ford-Cosworth.. That has a ring to it...
Old 31 May 2013, 03:15 (Ref:3255795)   #4
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well as Mar said, it would be probably have the eco boost brand name. Like the engines that are supposed to show up in USCR
Old 31 May 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3256105)   #5
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
now that does sound interesting, but if ford have any sense they will steer well clear of Cosworth.........all their eco-boost (I3 and V6) design work has been conducted by their favourite independent north german design consultancy, who coincidentally also did a certain diesel engine for a noteworthy LMP1 manufacturer LeMans team a few years back.......I don't think Cosworth have the depth of knowledge in turbocharged direct injection hybrid engines in order to produce a competitive 2014 F1 engine, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Old 31 May 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3256124)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then Ford would want to return as Ford, and not Jaguar or other of its subsidiaries.
Yeah, Ford-Cosworth rings a bell.
Old 31 May 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3256196)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bring Back the DFV....
Old 31 May 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3256197)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bring Back the DFV....and tyres that last a whole race....
Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:42 (Ref:3256231)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Knighty, aside from Zytek is there another company out there which could really do it in the timescale - bearing in mind you have to do a lot more than just an engine?
Old 1 Jun 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3256342)   #10
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anything left of Pure or was it all hot air?
Old 1 Jun 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3256370)   #11
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Knighty, aside from Zytek is there another company out there which could really do it in the timescale - bearing in mind you have to do a lot more than just an engine?
Really if ford are starting from scratch right now, to enter in 2015 would be a real ask. ford would do well to partner a company like cosworth with either Ricardo, AVL or FEV. Cosworth could do the base engine but the consultancy would provide the hybrid, direct injection combustion experience, and regenerative boosting system experience......Ricardo are the FIA's preferred rule writing advisors and they have been directly advising on F1 and LMP1 for many years now. whoever does it they will need a very big team of around 200 engineers if they want to take on the big boys.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3256380)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Honda's return must have piqued Ford's interest. The WRC is, as far as I can think, the Blue Oval's only properly global motorsport programme since they stopped supporting Arena in the WTCC. It will all depend on whether the engine manufacturers get more recognition than they currently do under the new regulations. And if they want a partner, Lotus-Ford has a vaguely familiar ring to it.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3256626)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Bring Back the DFV....
I'm in favour of that, but I'm not too sure if Cosworth will be involved with Ford, if they return, that'll be up to Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalhoven who own Cosworth.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3256650)   #14
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The WRC is, as far as I can think, the Blue Oval's only properly global motorsport programme since they stopped supporting Arena in the WTCC.
They stopped supporting MSport in the WRC this year, so I don't think they have any major motorsport program. Ford Europe are currently making massive losses though, I suppose that may spur them on to enter and get some promotion but Fords approach to the financial crisis was cautious.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3256684)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Of course they did. So it's only NASCAR and V8s that have factory backing?
Old 2 Jun 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3256741)   #16
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
now that does sound interesting, but if ford have any sense they will steer well clear of Cosworth.........all their eco-boost (I3 and V6) design work has been conducted by their favourite independent north german design consultancy, who coincidentally also did a certain diesel engine for a noteworthy LMP1 manufacturer LeMans team a few years back.......I don't think Cosworth have the depth of knowledge in turbocharged direct injection hybrid engines in order to produce a competitive 2014 F1 engine, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Which company are you on about, can't remember
Old 3 Jun 2013, 04:02 (Ref:3256935)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If the noise is right, the support in V8Supercar will be downgraded (again) at the end of the year..

Surely they could just pull an Ecoboost motor out of a Fiesta and win the WDC, couldnt they?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Jun 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3257029)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There is a link to the British Formula Ford championship from the Ford UK website so I assume that's still got some official backing too. Maybe they could just use one of those
Old 8 Jun 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3259275)   #19
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
just thinking out loud, Jackie Stewart does seem to be somewhat aligned with Lotus F1 these days, I think it was him that put the Raikkonen deal together.......he was Fords Motorsport ambassador for something like 30 years until about 7 years ago , I'm sure he still maintains links with Ford.......therefore if Ford are serios about an f1 comeback, Jackie Stewart will probably be consulted by ford.......Lotus-Ford.......black & gold with a touch of blue........nostalgic or what........