Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Oct 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3465321)   #1
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1957 RGS Atalanta MG ex Peter Wardle

A friend here has bought this, supposedly very well known / documented Atalanta MG : http://www.tomhardman.co.uk/car.php?id=155

Now - problem is, that Tom Hardman somehow is unable to get any more written history or proof of it. Supposedly, Hall & Hall (!!) have misplaced the folder with everything....
The only paperwork that came until now is the current V5, which is not really a big help getting the car registered over here (Germany, you know....) or, even more important, FIVA papers, which are needed for the events in Italy which are planned for the car.

Since the car was very well known being driven by Peter Wardle and also has been seen regularly over the last years, we would be very grateful if anyone would have more information or proof of it´s history.

Thank you all in advance for anything coming out of this request.

Ralf
Old 15 Oct 2014, 18:00 (Ref:3465360)   #2
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you tried Alan Shattock who was the rgsatalanata.com website?
He's writing a book on them and is collecting information.

I'm surprised that in 57 they were still building MG engine cars but another, unrestored, one sold on Ebay a couple of months ago - that apparently had the log book from the MG donor car which explains the B-series engine etc.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3465414)   #3
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Peter, thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have also contacted Alan Shattock, but I thought I try in as many directions as possible.

I have also seen the ebay listing - the spec is almost identical.

But - "our" car supposedly was initially fitted with Zephyr engine and gearbox and only got the MG parts later in its life.

Now, where should we look for a good Ford Six plus box ?:-)

Ralf
Old 16 Oct 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3465540)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ralf, I was priveledged enough to know Pete very well, used to live ten minutes away from him, always a pleasure working on the car with him (many times)
Such a shame the paperwork has been lost as Peter always kept everything logged.
RE engine change, that took place just before he bought it, according to the previous owner, it handled a lot better with the four pot in it!
Old 16 Oct 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3465544)   #5
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Hi Terence - thank you very much for your reply. Very interesting to hear from someone who knew driver and car.
It really is a shame that the papers are not with the car. Actually, they are officially "misplaced", but we do not have much hope for a resurfacing.
You would think a company like this would care a bit more, even if it is not one of the limelight cars....
Old 16 Oct 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3465545)   #6
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
PS I have have also send a message to Malcolm White, who seemingly has been co-driver on the Atalanta for some events.
Hopefully he might also still have something.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3465695)   #7
richard wos
Rookie

richard wos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced against Peter in that car a couple of times in my Reliant Sabre Six, I have the programme and result sheets somewhere. Was this the car also owned by Mike Haig?, he will have history for it. I can help with Zephyr engines and boxes.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3465708)   #8
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Richard - yes, it is also ex-Haig.
If it would not be too much hassle, I would appreciate any scans or copies. Costs will be covered, of course.

The Zephyr remark I wrote above was a bit tongue in cheek - the current MG engine is powerful enough for the new owner (at the moment, at least...). But also thank you for that - you never know....

Ralf
Old 16 Oct 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3465712)   #9
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Richard - would you have any idea how to contact Mr. Haig, please ?
Old 16 Oct 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3465750)   #10
richard wos
Rookie

richard wos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will get Mike's details for you and scan the paperwork I have.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 04:25 (Ref:3465807)   #11
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Richard - thank you very much for your help and spending your time with the scanning - I really do appreciate your offer.

Ralf
Old 17 Oct 2014, 06:51 (Ref:3465836)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R D P View Post
PS I have have also send a message to Malcolm White, who seemingly has been co-driver on the Atalanta for some events.
Hopefully he might also still have something.
Malcolm was indeed a regular driver and close friend of Peters.If he was' nt sharing the car he would be mechanicing/help prop up the bar after the racing.lol
I also knew Peter as a competitor, having been in the same race's on several occasions-hard but very fair driver, once past him he would be like a Jack Russell, did'nt give up easily.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 07:41 (Ref:3465858)   #13
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
I do understand what you mean - we have our second Jack Russell Terrier !
Old 15 Nov 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3474848)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf, papers or not, that car, fitted with XPAG, would be a very suitable car for our FISCAR FLIERS class of cars which will be running in MGCCs Iconic 50s racing next season. Probably too far to come though, sadly!

Good to see fellow Sabre aficionado, Richard Wos, posting on here.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 15 Nov 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3474916)   #15
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
John - yes , a long way to go. I am still working on the owner to use the car as intended, not only for the type of regularity hillclimbs or demonstrational events, which are more common over here.
And he would need an eligible XPAG - as far as I know there was one he could have had with the car, but he chose to only keep the (1950cc with twin Webers etc.) and leave the smaller one at the former owners. That one might still be there, though.

Richard was very helpful, by the way !
Old 15 Nov 2014, 12:22 (Ref:3474920)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf, what a shame that current engine (bored MGB?) takes it out of its period! Would be much more in keeping with either XPAG or early Zephyr lump.

Glad Richard was of help.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 16 Nov 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3475488)   #17
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Yeah - I still hope he might chose to get the engine it had earlier.
It did transpire in getting a bunch of informations together that it did supposedly have MG bits from the beginning. So all it needs is a correct engine.
Not as heavy as a Zephyr, too...

Ralf
Old 17 Nov 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3475775)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
You're right; just the cylinder heads on those old Fords weighed a ton!
Old 18 Jan 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3703305)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, have resurrected this thread and moved it from 'history'

http://www.handh.co.uk/buy/1957-rgs-atalanta-mg/7209

Is this the car? Did we find anymore out about it? What, if anything, has happened to it, in the last couple of years?
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3703307)   #20
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
John - yes, this is the car as it did look then.
It is still here in Germany with my friend.
He uses it for track days and hillclimbs - still running well.
It still has the bigger engine as mentioned before in this thread, he could not get the smaller one.
I could not convince him to race it, though, unfortunately.
Maybe one day I will succeed !

Ralf

PS I will post a photo in a minute - have to upload to Photobucket first

Last edited by R D P; 18 Jan 2017 at 09:10.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3703309)   #21
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany

As it still looks - paintscheme was done by the former owner in UK.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3703315)   #22
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
Oh and thanks to many helpful people we did find out a lot of its history.
Only the first years are not documented, unfortunately. This did cause a lot of trouble with registering it over here - but in the end German authorities could be convinced to have it on the road.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3703717)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ralf, many thanks. It appears that it maybe on the market again, but I do wonder how much of it is original and from the 1950s. New lightweight body? MG mechanicals but later than XPAG? I guess if it was originally fitted with MGA/Magnette mechanicals that would be OK but no more than 1622cc and I'd like to see the drums put back on the front if they were what it had in period. Sorry, thinking out loud here!
Old 20 Jan 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3703723)   #24
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
The engine is more or less FIA MGB, with a few exceptions.
He could have bought the smaller, original engine, but to save money, he declined that....
The guy is a strange chap, he buys cars for way too much money, then realizes he does not want to use them as they are supposed to be used, then tries to sell them again without losing money (he usually does,though - or has to keep the car...).
And - if it is on the market again, he (again, as with other cars he got help) did not tell... Considering all the effort put into retrieving the history etc. - I might be slightly mad at him !
Have you seen it offered somewhere ?
Old 20 Jan 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3703725)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by R D P View Post
Oh and thanks to many helpful people we did find out a lot of its history.
Only the first years are not documented, unfortunately. This did cause a lot of trouble with registering it over here - but in the end German authorities could be convinced to have it on the road.
Ralf, are you able to provide the history that you did establish, on here?