Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Jul 2000, 18:05 (Ref:22437)   #1
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The slicks and wings combination in Europe only provide's us with dull racing.

Every class from Formula Renault to Formula 3000 brings on dull and conservative racing. The problem lies in the cost of the cars. Most drivers are on such tight budgets that they can't afford damage on their cars. If there is a 1 car gap thru which they could pass a driver hardly ever does, o no they need 2 or 3 car gaps. That's why usually only one or two drivers dominate a series because they have ball or are stupid.
The Aerodynamic properties also halts any slingshot move.

I went to the Nurnberg ring and watched the formula palmer Audi race and it was the same. Even with the booster button.

Have you ever seen a true dull race in the Formula Ford Before? I haven't and that has reasons. Relative cheap cars, young eager drivers, the opertunity for a good slipstream run.

Old 12 Jul 2000, 12:03 (Ref:22749)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never seen a dull Formula Fordie race, very true..

But of course the problem is.. that any yound budding racer aims at F1 - where you need good experience of slicks and wings. So any series that's on the ladder between F1 and FF, needs them to gain any interest from competitors...

Slicks and wings doesn't definitely mean a boring race - I watched F3000 from Nurburging, one of the most dramitic races ever, and CART is always good, plus also Formula Renualt in Britain this year is excellent..

It's just that F1 is as dull as dish water....
Old 12 Jul 2000, 21:44 (Ref:22865)   #3
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan, you do a disservice to your dishwater.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 17:48 (Ref:23924)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault is boring
F3 is alright
F3000 crash everywhere(so thats okay)
FPA is fixed
Formula Nissans sound great and racing's no bad either

Then if you go to America wings and slicks are good in any championship

Old 18 Jul 2000, 18:04 (Ref:23929)   #5
Graham
Veteran

Just with Barber Dodge, the wheels are soooooo ugly.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 18:16 (Ref:23934)   #6
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that Formula Renault is boring, not with our man Apple providing the fun!
Old 18 Jul 2000, 18:28 (Ref:23938)   #7
Graham
Veteran

How's Vincent been getting along then? And why is he never on these forums?
Old 18 Jul 2000, 18:45 (Ref:23944)   #8
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vincent did well at Snetterton, finished 8th, not bad.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 23:29 (Ref:24001)   #9
Graham
Veteran

Good to hear he's not disappeared. Too many good drivers fall by the wayside coz of lack of cash.

Hmmmm... f1ciamp says "great talent, no money" but I wonder if that is better (personally) than being someone with "no talent, plentiful money"??

I don't believe money, as a driver, can bring success - but having talent in a less-than-ideal car certainly can.

What do you think?
Old 18 Jul 2000, 23:34 (Ref:24007)   #10
Graham
Veteran

On the subject of wings, who has seen the new series from Martin Hines and what do you think? The wings do not give any aerodynamic downforce; rather they prevent the wheels interlocking which is obviously a good thing with younger drivers.

I'm not sure, however, whether they cars will run on slicks. Does anyone know?

Do you think (or do you know if) this series will push down the boundaries of age even further than the T-Car championship? Are we going to see 12 y/o kids taking to the circuits? Are such young peeps ready to take to the more dangerous environment of the circuits?

Plus, is this new series limited on speed?

I remember something in Autosport, but do you think I can find it again? ****** can I.
Old 19 Jul 2000, 11:36 (Ref:24092)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a big article in last weeks Autosport about these cars.. not sure about them. Why can't people just do karting and then move upto F Fordies if they're that talented?? Just another race series that'll weaken other grids and dilute the cash more?? Maybe....

As for money can't bring success... Pedro Diniz (now a decent driver), got into F1 because of cash...
Old 19 Jul 2000, 14:18 (Ref:24122)   #12
Graham
Veteran

But if you look at the difference between racing karts and racing sorted single seaters on a circuit (both physically and financially), it is huge - especially, as f1ciamp found out, in Britain.

It makes sense, to me, to let the young 'uns get some experience before they move into the very expensive realm of FFord - more experience will allow them to make the most of their opportunity at the higher level.

I think Diniz was a reasonable driver to begin with. Plus, buying into F1 didn't bring success did it? How many race wins or podium places has he?
Old 19 Jul 2000, 18:40 (Ref:24191)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
The main problem I guess is going to be the excess cost!! Proper karting costs enough, Lewis Hamilton gets 50k from McLaren!!

But can you imagine how much this new series is going to be - is your average family going to afford it?? Will it become the premier series above karting, with the talented guys not in it because of cash??

Or is that a little dramitic...
Old 19 Jul 2000, 19:01 (Ref:24199)   #14
Graham
Veteran

Not sure if it'll be 'dramitic' but I guess that's a little dramatic.

Ordinary families can't really afford karting, so it will be no different for this new series. It'll still be about sponsorship but will give them a race on the circuits for less than a proper single seater drive.

I don't want to knock it until I've seen a couple of races. Everyone thought the T-Cars would be ****e, but they hold their own.
Old 20 Jul 2000, 06:11 (Ref:24305)   #15
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Good to hear he's not disappeared. Too many good drivers fall by the wayside coz of lack of cash.
Unfortunately, the reverse is true here - Vincent has plenty of money, and will NOT disappear!
Old 20 Jul 2000, 16:08 (Ref:24381)   #16
Graham
Veteran

Not sure what you're saying there, old chap.