Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 11 Jan 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3701761)   #176
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Johnny's claim that , with Gachot and Hulkenberg, he was the only F1 driver to win Le Mans wasn't even nearly wrong.. ever hear of Rindt, G Hill , Gurney, Amon, Pescarolo etc, etc?

Sadly , it is a sloppily written book but still one which, with some rigorous sub editing , might just have been the book its subject deserved .
I read Johnny's book just after Christmas, and I thought his claim was that when he won Le Mans it was the only time a team of current F1 Drivers had won the race? Whereas the others you have mentioned would have had team mates who weren't current F1 drivers?
(As usual there are lies, damned lies and then statistics, but although tenuous, I think this is factually correct)
Old 11 Jan 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3701840)   #177
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Hmm.... Pescarolo /G Hill , Amon/McLaren/ Ickx/ Oliver or Gendebien /Phil Hill were all in F1
Old 11 Jan 2017, 15:38 (Ref:3701847)   #178
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hmm.... Pescarolo /G Hill , Amon/McLaren/ Ickx/ Oliver or Gendebien /Phil Hill were all in F1
But were they all at the time that they won Le Mans? As I said, my interpretation was that Johnny claimed they were the first team odfcurrent F1 drivers to win the race.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3701876)   #179
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Yes .
Old 3 Feb 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3709074)   #180
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I read Johnny's book last week and quite enjoyed it. Possibly because I always felt closer to him than many others, having been a member of Racing for Britain and having taken my wife to our first race meeting together at Brands on that fateful day in 1988 - even more fateful as I shunted my MGB on the way.... I didn't scrutinise the facts closely or check the history books - I just enjoyed what was an amusing if fairly lightweight read.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3710684)   #181
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Johnny's claim that , with Gachot and Hulkenberg, he was the only F1 driver to win Le Mans wasn't even nearly wrong.. ever hear of Rindt, G Hill , Gurney, Amon, Pescarolo etc, etc?

Sadly , it is a sloppily written book but still one which, with some rigorous sub editing , might just have been the book its subject deserved .
One thing that did jump out was the "after Senna passed away McLaren needed a replacement...." line - odd that one slipped through the editing process. On the whole though I'm enjoying Johnnys book more than Marks.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3710703)   #182
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes, that would make for an interesting read. A fighter and someone who's raced in a diverse number of categories, wasn't he also World Stock Car Champion once too?
1973 World Superstox Champion, which he won at Wimbledon. I know coz I was there.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3710987)   #183
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
One thing that did jump out was the "after Senna passed away McLaren needed a replacement...." line - odd that one slipped through the editing process. On the whole though I'm enjoying Johnnys book more than Marks.
Marks?

Has Blundell got a book out?!
Old 8 Feb 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3711017)   #184
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Marks?

Has Blundell got a book out?!
No, he's really into the latest M&S food magazine.....
Old 8 Feb 2017, 22:39 (Ref:3711058)   #185
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, I read Johnny's book last week and quite enjoyed it. Possibly because I always felt closer to him than many others, having been a member of Racing for Britain and having taken my wife to our first race meeting together at Brands on that fateful day in 1988 - even more fateful as I shunted my MGB on the way.... I didn't scrutinise the facts closely or check the history books - I just enjoyed what was an amusing if fairly lightweight read.
How was the B? Fixable I hope.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 14:29 (Ref:3711227)   #186
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, he's really into the latest M&S food magazine.....
And who in their right mind wouldn't be?
Old 9 Feb 2017, 18:30 (Ref:3711263)   #187
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
How was the B? Fixable I hope.
Yeah, I had it repaired, although that turned out to be expensive as when they started removing panels they found a lot of rust! In the end though, it just wasn't the same. I flogged it and bought a Golf GTi.....
Old 16 Aug 2017, 23:09 (Ref:3759848)   #188
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Jack Brabham Story, a good read on the great man, and that era of Formula1 racing and also racing sports car and anything that paid money.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3764391)   #189
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another one that is interesting and a little bit different-Memories of James Hunt written by Christopher Hilton.
Old 4 Sep 2017, 22:17 (Ref:3764563)   #190
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I fancy the Alan Mann F3L story but not at 75 quid!
Old 14 Oct 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3774164)   #191
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got my eye on the Vic Elford bio, it's out of print but his website says he has a few remaining signed copies. They aren't cheap but I look at it as an investment.

Another book, I've had my eye on for years now but is also out of print is the book about the Rodriguez brothers. The prices are truly eye-watering!
Old 14 Oct 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3774165)   #192
cg7aa
Veteran

Phil Hill book.

These Phil Hill books look fab!http://phil-hill-book.com/the-book
Old 14 Oct 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3774171)   #193
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
I've got my eye on the Vic Elford bio, it's out of print but his website says he has a few remaining signed copies. They aren't cheap but I look at it as an investment.

Another book, I've had my eye on for years now but is also out of print is the book about the Rodriguez brothers. The prices are truly eye-watering!
Both are really worth the read - Amazon UK has copies of The Brothers Rodriguez at around £60 - a bargain.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 21:11 (Ref:3774222)   #194
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
Both are really worth the read - Amazon UK has copies of The Brothers Rodriguez at around £60 - a bargain.
If that's case then I'm ordering soon! Thanks. The last time I checked was years ago and copies were going for $300! I'm not kidding! I thought it would still be the case - a bit silly on my part to assume.
Old 15 Oct 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3774299)   #195
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I bought the Trans-Am 66-72 book for less than 30 quid on amazon.
Lovely story of that era.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3779946)   #196
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
I picked up my Rodriguez brothers book today. Wow! It's a big and heavy one! There's a slight tear on the dust cover but I can live with that. It must have been a real labour of love for author; it looks and feels it and it looks great! Really happy with it.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3783965)   #197
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must disclose that I was involved in this book but despite that it turned out well. Anyone interested in GT Racing in the modern era should grab a copy.

http://www.chaters.co.uk/prod/20248/...acing#overview
Old 1 Jan 2018, 23:15 (Ref:3790217)   #198
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Received Darren Banks's excellent 'Stephen South-The way it was' book and John Davenport's 'Gr.4 From Stratos to Quattro' effort.

Thoroughly enjoying both!
Old 2 Jan 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3790280)   #199
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I was given Adrian Neweys book "How To Build A Car" for Christmas - I've got stuck into it and so far it's a good read
Old 11 Jan 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3792061)   #200
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I was given Adrian Neweys book "How To Build A Car" for Christmas - I've got stuck into it and so far it's a good read
I've heard good things about the book. I may have to add it to my ultra long list of desired books. Is there much about the man and his early days as a designer or is it loaded with the modern F1 stuff? The latter leaves me a bit cold.