Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Jan 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2367070)   #51
app
Rookie

app should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Anyone have more info on the Street track? Will it get a new layout or be the same as the historic races? Anyone have a track map of that one?
From what I've heard, the street "race" in Copenhagen will only be some kind of Superpole. The historic races are still the main event. The track is really not suited for proper racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Some DTC teams wanna run the STCC race the day before to get more tracktime? Or why not just run them both at the same time! Have been done before, Mantorp 2004 I belive.
2003 First and only Final win for Lundgaard
Old 7 Jan 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2367167)   #52
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More news about the JM Racing situation:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3058
Old 7 Jan 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2367175)   #53
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ouch, hope DTC pulls through.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2367326)   #54
app
Rookie

app should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
More news about the JM Racing situation:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3058
Thanks for the update Aslak! I'm really hoping they'll make it
Old 12 Jan 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2369776)   #55
PTM
Rookie

Denmark
Helsinge
PTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I hear there's a good chance of 14-15 cars on the grid, so it's not all as bleek as some try to make it.

It depends, probably, on the final sponsorships coming through.

2002 (I think - the final year of super tourers) saw 12 cars on the STCC grid - but delivered superb races.

Kind regards,

Bo Skovfoged
2008: Team Den Blaa Avis
2009: Journalist, editor, press officer?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2377460)   #56
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the article on touringcartimes the calendar of the DTC does not include the Gothenburg-race. Why is that?
I'm also curious how the points will be given at the Copenhagen-event.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2377636)   #57
PTM
Rookie

Denmark
Helsinge
PTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That bit about the points for the Copenhagen event has not been settled yet.

Kind regards,

Bo Skovfoged
2008: Team Den Blaa Avis
2009: Journalist, editor, press officer?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2377767)   #58
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Surprised as well about Göteborg city race missing. Fuel problems?
Old 24 Jan 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2378262)   #59
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Monetary problems rather, rumour has it..
Old 15 Feb 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2397785)   #60
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
At least a piece of good news for the series, a new team:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3131
Old 17 Feb 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2399072)   #61
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Casper back in the series! It will be fun to see him race against Jason Watt in another Leon (and of course the other competitors).
Old 17 Feb 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2399076)   #62
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Indeed a good addition, 3 time champ and in a Leon like us. I guess the cars will be updated, if Seat Sport has time for this so late in the season.

We are looking forward to race another Leon, although we did so last year as well and succeeded
Old 27 Feb 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2405230)   #63
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Second part of the DTC 2008 review

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3172
Old 25 Mar 2009, 18:45 (Ref:2424655)   #64
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
At last a very good piece of news, you guys abroad know this legend

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3291
Old 25 Mar 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2424749)   #65
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 25 Mar 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2424775)   #66
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
52 years old, and still racing full power!!

Respect
Old 26 Mar 2009, 02:46 (Ref:2424957)   #67
c8nay
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, England
c8nay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see another entry for the series. Has the car been anywhere near Team RAC/WSR in the last few years?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2425081)   #68
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Thompson is going to drive for Hartmann again:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3292
Old 26 Mar 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2425125)   #69
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great news but it's strange this British touring car hero is forced to race in DTC instead of BTCC. Don't get me wrong, DTC is a great series but a name like Thompson should be racing in WTCC or BTCC.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:52 (Ref:2425321)   #70
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Don't get me wrong, DTC is a great series but a name like Thompson should be racing in WTCC or BTCC.
I wouldn't necessarily rate BTCC above DTC. So if Tommo can't get a WTCC drive (which is darn hard) he might as well chose according to where he gets the best deal.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2425573)   #71
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
I wouldn't necessarily rate BTCC above DTC. So if Tommo can't get a WTCC drive (which is darn hard) he might as well chose according to where he gets the best deal.
Well, I certainly would on all counts, and especially when it comes to entertainment value. That said Thommo is a great addition to the field and it looks to be some very strong drivers in the championship this year with Elgaard/Nielsen/Thompson/Nykjær. But DTC always strikes me (much like STCC) as a tad unprofessional at times.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 23:52 (Ref:2425667)   #72
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Well, I certainly would on all counts, and especially when it comes to entertainment value.
??? Is it the demolition derby you miss? Or the picking a ball or spinning a wheel for race 3 grid?

Quote:
Elgaard/Nielsen/Thompson/Nykjær.
Magnusson is driving this year as well, no?

Quote:
But DTC always strikes me (much like STCC) as a tad unprofessional at times.

Can you elaborate on that?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2427425)   #73
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
??? Is it the demolition derby you miss? Or the picking a ball or spinning a wheel for race 3 grid?

Magnusson is driving this year as well, no?

Can you elaborate on that?
Rant to follow!!

(Disclaimer - Both DTC and STCC are quite OK series. I enjoy them, and at least they're better than WTCC)

Yes, there is a lot of contact in the BTCC. But the racing there is so close, and so competitive, that there's bound to be some contact. There's some bad moves, too, but all the drivers know how to give and take (mostly give). In STCC, DTC and WTCC the racing isn't anywhere near as close, and when people do make contact it's usually of the clumsy dive type (see Poulsen's move on Kasper Jensen in the finale, and several controversies involving Farfus or Robin Rudholm to name a few). The BTCC produces the best racing on the planet. By a mile.

I don't know what your beef with the randomized reversed grid is, though. For me it's the greatest application of the reversed grid system so far, as it kills the tactical driving that the system sometimes generates.

As for the amateurish feel I get from both STCC and DTC sometimes. One example is the apparent lack of ability amongst the race stewards - how Poulsen escaped penalty for his shunt with Jensen is beyond me. Same goes with the insane penalty STCC handed out against Rosenblad at the first round this year. The penalties appear to be very arbitary - I know you and I argued for some time on the Björk/Dahlgren incident, but how Björk can escape penalty for that and Rosenblad not for his incident is very strange. Either you accept that a certain degree of contact will occur Ã* la BTCC (and do note how often people involved in contact there are not put out of the race, as is often the case over here) or you police it properly. STCC and DTC manage to do neither.
The way yellow flags are used bugs me too. Like when Jens Møller ended up in the gravel last race at Jyllandsringen - they hung out the yellow flag for a few laps, and then withdrew it. Without doing anything about the car. Either the car is in a dangerous place or not! I know the logic is to inform the drivers of the danger, but that's completely the wrong way to go about it. From thereon overtaking moves were again allowed in that corner, and just because there wasn't a disaster doesn't mean it's OK. I've seen this happen in the STCC too - off the top of my head Stippler's Audi was left in the gravel a season or so back because they failed to extract it! And the whole saftey car mess at Falkenberg last year, and not just during the STCC race. I was there, and it was embarrasingly bad.
I could go rambling on, but I think that's enough for now.

And the format in DTC isn't very good, either. The races are shorter than 15 minutes! If you blink or look down at your food you're bound to miss half of the race. On a BTCC weekend you get actual racing for 60 minutes plus in total, in STCC, WTCC and DTC between 35 and 45. That half of the season is run at one track (Jyllandsringen) bugs me a bit too - I know there's harldy an abundance of tracks in Denmark but with four to choose from they could at least mix it up a bit.

I hadn't read about Magnussen returning (DBA again?), but great news if so. Busy boy - winning the series last year despite the missed rounds was a great feat, and I think he would even have managed it without the dropped scores.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2427438)   #74
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There is many issues with DTC, especially track and entry numbers recent years, and some questions to be raised, esp. over collaboration with STCC (I mean what is the point of having two ultra competitve Scandinavian championships, instead of one?!)... but Id say... WTCC, STCC maybe even DTC look healthier than BTCC. BTCC got their problems, if you open your eyes you'll see them. Race format isn't that great as you say... and it has lost a LOT of its glamour it used to be. I'd say it's lost its plot, and it's behind WTCC and STCC... Good to see James getting drive at DTC.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 00:21 (Ref:2427463)   #75
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
There is many issues with DTC, especially track and entry numbers recent years, and some questions to be raised, esp. over collaboration with STCC (I mean what is the point of having two ultra competitve Scandinavian championships, instead of one?!)... but Id say... WTCC, STCC maybe even DTC look healthier than BTCC. BTCC got their problems, if you open your eyes you'll see them. Race format isn't that great as you say... and it has lost a LOT of its glamour it used to be. I'd say it's lost its plot, and it's behind WTCC and STCC... Good to see James getting drive at DTC.
I know the BTCC isn't at it's high point right now (as for the race format, the only change I would make is go back to have the reverse grid for race 2 as in 2004, I always liked that better). I know it's got it's problems. But I've watched every single BTCC race the last decade, and the duds have been few and extremely far between. I maintain it's quite simply the best racing you'll get, and that has been the case since the early 90s.