Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jun 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2479883)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula 1 2009, Round 8: Santander British Grand Prix, Silverstone - Northamptonshire

Hello everyone once again, and welcome to the Formula 1 World Championship on 10-Tenths! This weekend, a certain crowd favourite amongst many of our posters, the British Grand Prix!

After another dominant performance by Jenson Button in Turkey last round, hope is high for another British driver to win the British Grand Prix, and in doing so become the first time two British drivers have won the British GP two years in a row Damon Hill and Johnny Herbert in 1994 and 1995. Button is on a streak of 4 straight wins and is looking to continue his streak and increase it to 5, and join greats such as Michael Schumacher, Jim Clark, Jack Brabham and Nigel Mansell who have all won 5 straight Grands Prix. To give you another statistic, if Mark Webber, who was strong here last year in a car much worse compared to the leaders then the one he's in now, he'll officially break the record for most races competed in before taking a win, a record currently held by Button's teammate Rubens Barrichello.

But enough confusing technical talk! Let's have a look at the race this weekend.

As we head into this weekend, all eyes will be on 3 people: Jenson Button, Mark Webber, and Lewis Hamilton. Button, winner of 6 of 7 races so far this season, looking to win his first British Grand Prix; Webber, having by far his best season in his career, who qualified his Red Bull in 2nd position last year, pipped only by Heikki Kovalainen at the very end of qualifying; and Hamilton, having a wretched year in a sub-standard car, but will he be able tp ull anything out of the bag here? Experts are saying the RB5 will have the edge over the BGP001 at this high speed track, but how true are these rumours? Will it rain like it did last year and throw everyone's strategy into the scrapheap? Who has the brains to win this weekend?

All signs point to one Jenson Button. But in Murray Walker-esque prophetic style, I mentioned that a Brawn GP were waiting for their first DNF in the Turkey thread and sure enough, Barrichello notched up the team's first DNF for the year. So, what should I ask for this weekend? A Webber victory? Let's not go there, my luck is likely to turn on me...

The most interesting battle this weekend is definately for second and third place in the championship. Vettel and Webber would need Barrichello to DNF before they can even dream of taking his place, but after Istanbul, anything is possible. Webber I'm sure will be determined to overtake his teammate in the standings and the previous results have shown that he has the edge over Vettel in the races this season (but once again, let's not go there). Finger's crossed we can have an Aussie in the Top 3...!

This year marks (allegedly) the end of an era for Silverstone. It will be the last time the historic track, home of the first ever Formula 1 World Championship race, hosts the British Grand Prix for a number of years, if Mr. Ecclestone's plans for world domination *ahem* I mean plans for Donington to host the British GP from 2010 come to fruition. I'm sure the circuit holds fond memories for one Michael Schumacher, who despite having 3 wins has also had one disqualification and one broken leg... But as they always say, one door shuts, another opens, and I'm sure everyone is eager to see
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Jun 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2479892)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Great write up, Chatters! I think it's worth mentioning Rubhino may be in with a shout, too... He's a big fan of this track and tends to go pretty well.

I will be in attendence at Copse woohoo!!

Selby
Old 11 Jun 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2479906)   #3
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another great write up Chatts but is it not the weekend after this?
Friday 19th to Sunday 21st ?

If it is this weekend I'm in deep do-do, I promised the wife I would take her to Ikea....pass that screwdriver.

Cheers
P
Old 11 Jun 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2479913)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry guys, for some reason it posted when it shouldn't have! I was only writing it up because I wasn't going to get a chance next week! If the mods want to delete this thread I'll redo it next week and complete it with all the fancy table etc...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Jun 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2479963)   #5
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish it were this weekend, I can't wait. Got the old Kanagaroo TV reserved as well after some of you on here have highly recommended it in the past.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2479965)   #6
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I will be in attendence at Copse woohoo!!

Selby
As will I, in stand D
Old 11 Jun 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2479995)   #7
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
To give you another statistic, if Mark Webber, who was strong here last year in a car much worse compared to the leaders then the one he's in now, he'll officially break the record for most races competed in before taking a win
Nick Heidfeld would beat that statistic by quite a distance if he won.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2480003)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think it's worth mentioning Rubhino may be in with a shout, too... He's a big fan of this track and tends to go pretty well.
The guy needs to sort his season out and in a car as good as he's got, must win a race. He's been error-prone recently, and his mutterings insinuating unfair treatment wouldn't, I would've thought, do him any favours in his team.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2480046)   #9
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The guy needs to sort his season out and in a car as good as he's got, must win a race. He's been error-prone recently, and his mutterings insinuating unfair treatment wouldn't, I would've thought, do him any favours in his team.
Nothing to worry about it's probably just the on-coming grumpiness of old age...
Old 11 Jun 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2480073)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

It's concerning for him because Button, good as he is, is no Michael Schumacher, and yet Button is beating Barrichello by quite a margin at the moment, just like Michael used to.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2480087)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great job Chatters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
This year marks (allegedly) the end of an era for Silverstone. It will be the last time the historic track, home of the first ever Formula 1 World Championship race, hosts the British Grand Prix for a number of years, if Mr. Ecclestone's plans for world domination *ahem* I mean plans for Donington to host the British GP from 2010 come to fruition. I'm sure the circuit holds fond memories for one Michael Schumacher, who despite having 3 wins has also had one disqualification and one broken leg... But as they always say, one door shuts, another opens, and I'm sure everyone is eager to see
The last GP, the end of an era. But who who knows...
Old 11 Jun 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2480413)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Sorry guys, for some reason it posted when it shouldn't have! I was only writing it up because I wasn't going to get a chance next week! If the mods want to delete this thread I'll redo it next week and complete it with all the fancy table etc...
As there seem to have been a few takers for this thread already, we'll leave it here - if you want all the fancy stuff adding into the original post next week just let one of us moderator types know and we'll use our mystical editing powers.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 11 Jun 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2480509)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You see, we're all anxious for June 12, eventually end of days for F1.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2480596)   #14
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Since this may be it for Silverstone for awhile, stunning, humour me with an onboard preview lap, and for some extra fun how about Mark Webber, seems a popular choice on tenths, mostly, and ITV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivKy2LsJPNA

Ah, Silverstone.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2480598)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
What are the chances of a boycott?

Perhaps worth a bet on Rosberg...

Possibility of showers on Saturday and Sunday
Old 12 Jun 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2480665)   #16
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If The Heavens open up Webber For The Win He Was Super Quik Last year till a cock up on the opening lap saw him facing the wrong direction and buggering his race.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 00:38 (Ref:2480667)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think it's quite a good idea to have a thread for the British Grand Prix a week early, It's a very historic and rather well loved race at Silverstone...

Excellent to see F1 back at a real racing circuit..
Old 12 Jun 2009, 01:26 (Ref:2480674)   #18
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Mr. Ecclestone's plans for world domination.
All I can say is "It's a bright cold day in April."
Old 12 Jun 2009, 02:33 (Ref:2480689)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post

Well I am just hoping that the events resulting from June 12th don't overshadow the race on the weekend June 20/21st.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2480735)   #20
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
What are the chances of a boycott?

Perhaps worth a bet on Rosberg...

Possibility of showers on Saturday and Sunday
Oh a possible bit of wet...should suit JB well either way.
But as an outside bet, I think you are right, Rosberg looks like he's started putting quali performance into race mode.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2480815)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post
But as an outside bet, I think you are right, Rosberg looks like he's started putting quali performance into race mode.
I was coming more from the "lack of opposition due to boycott" angle
Old 12 Jun 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2480818)   #22
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Ah yes...boycott.
I was trying to be optimistic
Old 12 Jun 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2480843)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Well I am just hoping that the events resulting from June 12th don't overshadow the race on the weekend June 20/21st.

Not much hope I 'm afraid.
Max has put off 'D' day until June 19th....
Old 12 Jun 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2480988)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yeah... the battle rages on.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2481085)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
hmmm....a boycott....British GP.....timing.....hmmmm