Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Dec 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3486047)   #101
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I love oulton, just not the getting there and home bit, its also got crap facilities and is in the middle of bloody no where, great circuit though.

I've only raced at Mallory once.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3486048)   #102
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know we say this every year but as the calenders start to become public it seems more than ever before that you could go historic racing every weekend and often more than once a weekend between March and October. How healthy this is I am not sure as it will inevitably lead to cherry picking.

As an end user we benefit short term but as has been said many times before when the music stops and the arrivistes move onto another hobby it is not going to be pretty....
Old 18 Dec 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3486119)   #103
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
An interesting development for HSCC Martini Trophy!

Press release Wednesday 17th December 2014
Martini Trophy evolves into WEC Revival

The HSCC’s Martini Trophy with Supersports will undergo a major development for 2015 with the inclusion of a wider range of eligible cars and a new name of WEC Revival.

As well as the 2-litre sports-racing cars and Sports 2000 that have contested the series since its inception in 2011, the new initiative will open the hour-long races up to pre-1980 Sports Racing, GT and Touring Cars of a type that would have competed in the World Endurance Championship or other international competition in period.

The range of eligible cars is extensive and includes many models of Porsche including the Carrera RSR, 934, 935 and 936, the Ferrari 512, BMW M1, Alfa Romeo T33, BMW CSL and much more. The existing classes for pre ’72 and Pre’79 2-litre sports-racing cars and pre ’85 Sports 2000 will remain.

The new series is the result of a joint venture between the Historic Sports Car Club and Automobiles Historiques Ltd, the organisation run by Flavien and Vanessa Marçais. The race format will be a half-hour qualifying session followed by a 60-minute race, with mandatory pit stops and optional two drivers.

The calendar will focus on four high-profile events, taking in the Grand Prix circuits at Silverstone and Brands Hatch as well as races at Zandvoort and Dijon.

The WEC Revival calendar is:
May 16/17: Silverstone International Trophy
July 11/12: Brands Hatch Historic Super Prix
August 28-30: Zandvoort Historic Grand Prix
October 2-4: Dijon Motors Cup

"This builds on the success of the Martini Trophy with Supersports and is intended to bring out cars that have not previously had a high-profile UK-based series," said Grahame White, CEO of the HSCC. "We’re extending the scope of the Martini Trophy, while retaining what we have done so far."

Flavien Marçais said:
"The WEC Revival will return to the most evocative circuits,namely Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Zandvoort and Dijon, at prime historic events, offering the perfect combination of historical context and modern facilities. Between the current Martini Trophy 2-litre sports-cars, and the additional GT, Touring and 3-litre sports-cars lined up, the series looks very promising."
Old 18 Dec 2014, 23:09 (Ref:3486251)   #104
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Dammitt. All these events are really making my on off decision to go AppK next year more and more difficult.
Blimey that'll be costly Wayne!
Old 19 Dec 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3486384)   #105
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Blimey that'll be costly Wayne!
Other than the engine, actually it won't. My car is so much closer to a true AppK than most cars already racing!

The thing that is stopping me at the moment really is the cage which supposedly is not compliant but I'm very much loathe to actually take safety out of the car.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 19 Dec 2014, 11:24 (Ref:3486401)   #106
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In what way does the cage not comply Wayne? I've seen many different versions of cages over the years.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3486623)   #107
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
In what way does the cage not comply Wayne? I've seen many different versions of cages over the years.
Main hoop rear legs go through rear bulkhead into boot. Have been told this is a no no. Must admit I've only seen one AppK Mustang with a similar cage to mine. Mine has also got a few extra diagonals but I think I'm ok with them. the other issue is the fuel tank, mine is situated in the boot above the floor up against the bulkhead and is protected by the cage legs. Apparently to be compliant it has to be in the original position which is under the boot floor (well, actually the top of the tank is the boot floor.) Not too happy about that position as it makes them very vulnerable in a rear end shunt.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 20 Dec 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3486658)   #108
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Cortina tank is the same, If you get hit that hard you'll hope your wearing a hans or you won't be awake to notice the tank getting squashed.

THere are a few Cortina out there with cages through dashboards, bulkheads etc . . .
Old 20 Dec 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3486720)   #109
alfa 76
Rookie

alfa 76 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Wayne, my Alfas both have a tank similar to yours, with the hole left by taking out the original tank covered over by a panel made to suit. Never had a problem with scrutineers in the FIA races I've done so far and it was seeing a GTA with the boot pushed in at the Classic a few years ago that made me decide to go for that sort of tank. I'm sure the U2TC scrutineer, who is also an HTP examiner, would tell you if your cage and tank were ok if you sent him photos - let me know if you need details.

Dave
Old 3 Jan 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3489715)   #110
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Re Jag series, the smart money is on Donington Festival, Silverstone International, Brands Superprix and Gold Cup. Continental round will be Dijon, Spa or Nurburgring, the latter being the most probable. Don't forget that it's Jaguar money behind it and they'll want the best venues for hospitality as much as the racing.
JAGUAR HERITAGE CHALLENGE

Just seen the provisional dates in HSCC Mag, and they confirm Colin's list above. No confirmation on 'overseas' race as yet.

Old 3 Jan 2015, 14:14 (Ref:3489719)   #111
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Will our Peter be posting all the race dates as he has done in the past . Very usefull
Old 3 Jan 2015, 15:09 (Ref:3489723)   #112
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I'll try hut very busy at the moment.
Old 4 Jan 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3489921)   #113
vjay48
Racer

vjay48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it very hard to describe oulton park as having crap facilities and mention Mallory park in the same post.You choose where you live for a variety of reasons,you cant expect circuit owners to move circuits because you don't like the journey. Isnt the internet a joy?
Old 5 Jan 2015, 11:17 (Ref:3490038)   #114
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have to say that I have only been to OP once and it was a very expensive weekend. From memory I agree with Joe, facilities were not that great and nearest hotel a few miles away. However I would not put it in the same category as Mallory which is a circuit that should be used for testing only IMHO...

Out of interest how will the S2000 fare against the WEC cars? Will they be competitive to Batmobiles etc?
Old 5 Jan 2015, 11:38 (Ref:3490042)   #115
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,
I have been racing recently at OP, and the facilities are pretty good unless you arrive very late and get parked in the last grass paddock. Everywhere else is tarmac nowadays. The cafe is modern, tho' the food not up to Castle Combe or Mallory Park standards. Anyway, big enough to shelter in when raining.

The scrutineering shed is pretty spacious and there's a fairly basic race-parts shop attached.

The nearest hotel (a Q Hotel, probably now DeVere) is only 2 miles away and a good inn-with-rooms, the Alvanley Arms, about a mile further on.

My view is that there are a lot worse places to race and, of course, the track is wonderfully fast.
Nick
Old 5 Jan 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3490045)   #116
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Simon,
I have been racing recently at OP, and the facilities are pretty good unless you arrive very late and get parked in the last grass paddock. Everywhere else is tarmac nowadays. The cafe is modern, tho' the food not up to Castle Combe or Mallory Park standards. Anyway, big enough to shelter in when raining.

The scrutineering shed is pretty spacious and there's a fairly basic race-parts shop attached.

The nearest hotel (a Q Hotel, probably now DeVere) is only 2 miles away and a good inn-with-rooms, the Alvanley Arms, about a mile further on.

My view is that there are a lot worse places to race and, of course, the track is wonderfully fast.
Nick
I fear my view was jaundiced by watching my son's first Formula Ford meeting. It rained non stop all weekend (Easter 2012). Including testing he got through 2 tubs and countless corners.... it was a wet weekend to forget!
Old 5 Jan 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3490047)   #117
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Simon,
The cafe is modern, tho' the food not up to Castle Combe or Mallory Park standards.
Picked up on another thread that Val & all her crew retired at Xmas so we'll have to wait and see if the legendary Mallory breakfast survives.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 11:52 (Ref:3490048)   #118
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Simon,
The only facility lacking at OP is power in the paddock, and whilst it's nice to have it's no great hardship without. Plenty local accommodation which only exists because of the circuit, but you do have to book early for the bigger meetings, I once ended up in Frodsham about 15 miles away.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 12:55 (Ref:3490056)   #119
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, got to agree about Oulton - without wishing to upset Simon, but I personally rate it as one of the best driver's circuits in the country. With the possible exception of Brands GP, name a better one?

Admittedly, a tricky place to be in the wet, without much run-off for much of the lap - so if your only experience of the place was in the rain, then I could understand your dislike of it. I have heard that many single-seater drivers consider it too dangerous. You need to give it another go in the sunshine Simon!

Of course, I may be slightly biased, as it's my 'local' circuit, but I've always loved driving it, despite a few hefty shunts there over the years - including one on the first lap of my first ever qualy session... in the rain!
Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:28 (Ref:3490065)   #120
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I'm confused as to the relevance of this debate on pros and cons of OP, but that may be due to my advancing years.......

Old 5 Jan 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3490070)   #121
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should all look at the 'Introducing Oulton Park 1953' thread in Motorsport History section (about half way down first page) if you think the circuit is dangerous today.

I agree with Paul that it's second only to Brands GP circuit as the best in the country.

Simon, all circuits are miserable when it's wet. I cut my racing teeth at Croft and Rufforth in the late 60s. Both were grim when it (frequently) rained.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 15:48 (Ref:3490095)   #122
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Simon, all circuits are miserable when it's wet. I cut my racing teeth at Croft and Rufforth in the late 60s. Both were grim when it (frequently) rained.
true - I am forgetting my northern roots and fast becoming a soft southerner!

Getting back on thread the clear message coming out of all the calenders is that there is a lot of high calibre UK historic racing this season.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3490098)   #123
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Getting back on thread the clear message coming out of all the calenders is that there is a lot of high calibre UK historic racing this season.
Good save, Simon, and Yes!

Old 5 Jan 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3490174)   #124
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Yeah - but not that much of it at Oulton!

I'll get my coat...
Old 6 Jan 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3490411)   #125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Spa 6hrs weekend is, as usual, the weekend after Goodwood Revival. That means in 2015 18-20th September, and entries for the main event are being accepted now. Last year all 114 Grid slots filled very quickly......