Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 23 Jul 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2930135)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It just occurs - I wonder if a mod could amend the spelling mistake in the thread title please?

Thanks.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2930139)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Done, and thank you for pointing that out..
Old 23 Jul 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2930152)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still wonder what went wrong that day?

The new aero rules made the redesigned cars hard to drive. Too much speed maybe with the bumps that caused aero imbalance and he understeered off?

Steering column cracked?

If anything his legacy ushered in a new era of safety considerations for drivers safety gear, the cars themselves and circuits. I thought things were good then but they have come a long way since.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2930154)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
You may be interested in listening to the latest Motor Sport podcast, where this subject is discussed..

http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/...ening-podcast/
Old 23 Jul 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2930169)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I believe there were other issues involved(money), which it would not have mattered who Ayrton hooked up with, the family would not have been happy. Once you marry someone and have kids, your relationship with your family changes as you have your own family now and the responsibilities that go with it. Essentially the focus of the gravy train would have shifted. I'm not accusing the family of any impropriety, but they definitely personally benefited from his business endeavors and subsequently his estate. It's only natural to defend your quarter.
The point is that they banned Adriane Galisteu from the funeral because they thought she was a gold digger, something which Bononi has said she has since disproved, having gone on to have a very successful career. Okay, the connection with Senna no doubt helped launch it, but she wouldn't still be successful if she was no good.

Secondly, they did allow an ex-girl friend, Xuxa, to attend the funeral. She is shown in the film as as a TV show presenter who repeatedly kisses Ayrton, wishing him Happy New Year for the years ahead, stopping, rather spookily, at 1993.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2930273)   #31
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Makes you wonder what Senna himself would have made of it? I can't believe he'd have been happy knowing that the woman he loved would have been cut off by his own family in this way?
Old 23 Jul 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2930279)   #32
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think he would have liked it at all and it doesn't fit with what I know of Viviane Senna, his sister.

I think the family misjudged Adriane and may now regret it, but it was all a long time ago.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 01:07 (Ref:2930292)   #33
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
You may be interested in listening to the latest Motor Sport podcast, where this subject is discussed..

http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/...ening-podcast/
Thanks for posting this link, Jeremy.

I have only just got round to listening to the podcast and it's very good indeed, with some interesting people involved.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:01 (Ref:2930691)   #34
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That entire article was taken from a book on Senna by Tom Rubython
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:14 (Ref:2930695)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05 View Post
That entire article was taken from a book on Senna by Tom Rubython
So it's plagiarism? Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Rubython
Old 25 Jul 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2930744)   #36
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had never read that article before, thanks for the link. It was truly an evoking read indeed. I remember I was at work on that Sunday and recieved the news of Senna's death from a friend of mine. A very sad day in Motorsport and a horrific end to a horrific weekend. I believe that Jaques Villeneuve was close to Roland as they were friends while racing F3 in Japan. Even to this day Jaques won't talk about Roland Ratzenberger. Senna was like Gilles, needing to be the quickest no matter what the session was, practice, qualifying, race laps, it didn't matter to either of them, and sadly they found the same fate almost 12 years to the day from one another. Sad indeed.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2930825)   #37
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
So it's plagiarism? Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Rubython
Well I wouldn't say all. The negative Ratzenberger quote wasn't in the Senna book. 95% of the article is. Read the Senna book a couple of weeks ago before I went to see the movie.

I don't know who got it from who, but it's the same!
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 25 Jul 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2930844)   #38
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it highlights the bits i find interesting about senna over most if not all but one or two racing drivers and that's the awareness of human aspects of motorsport between driving and the mind. it's exactly that that i'd suggest adriane understood and was comfortable with - it's normally articulated as someone being on the same "wavelength" or "reading their mind". outside of science but currently tends to be blotted out by "sports psychology". his religious beliefs allowed him to understand that level of thought, albeit by using god as a method of articulating and quantifying it. hence his very strong christian faith.

fairly certain i remember reading an article also based on the book in a f1 magazine at some point in the past, so perhaps this is that article lifted out of it and credited to the editor of the article rather than the author.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2930847)   #39
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember reading this a short while ago- A very powerful read. Not being old enough to remember Senna racing (I was 4 when he died), I at times struggle to comprehend the effect he had on people, the motorsport community, and the world in general. I am however able to understand his absolute relentlessness behind the wheel of a racecar, and it is something I will always wish I could have seen.

I await the release of 'Senna' in Australia with great eagerness...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 25 Jul 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2930899)   #40
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it highlights the bits i find interesting about senna over most if not all but one or two racing drivers and that's the awareness of human aspects of motorsport between driving and the mind. it's exactly that that i'd suggest adriane understood and was comfortable with - it's normally articulated as someone being on the same "wavelength" or "reading their mind". outside of science but currently tends to be blotted out by "sports psychology". his religious beliefs allowed him to understand that level of thought, albeit by using god as a method of articulating and quantifying it. hence his very strong christian faith.
It's possible that they were soul mates, which is the ultimate expression of what you're talking about. Ayrton must have cared for and trusted her very much to allow her into his very private life to the extent that he did.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2930915)   #41
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05 View Post
Well I wouldn't say all. The negative Ratzenberger quote wasn't in the Senna book. 95% of the article is. Read the Senna book a couple of weeks ago before I went to see the movie.

I don't know who got it from who, but it's the same!
I could say the whole thing was taken from a TV Special from Globo TV, IIRC, back in 96 or 97, specially the parts from Galvão Bueno, Reginaldo Leme and Adriane, but I can't confirm it until I review my VHS tapes from the time...
Old 25 Jul 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2930927)   #42
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It's possible that they were soul mates, which is the ultimate expression of what you're talking about. Ayrton must have cared for and trusted her very much to allow her into his very private life to the extent that he did.
that level of self-awareness is pretty rare, and something you very rarely see (actually you don't see, you feel, but that's not the point). it also takes one to know one, as it were. if it's coupled with physical attraction it's absolutely unbreakable and unignorable which is when the soulmate thing comes in. in terms of racing, that self-awareness seems to create this level of thinking akin to stepping back but it allows you to engage more with what you do without actively thinking about it. you can see when drivers able to use that state of mind disengage for any reason - they start to be aware of their decisions and start to make bad ones. that state of mind coupled with senna's ridiculous driving abilities made him pretty unstoppable. how you choose to label all that depends on your beliefs and society, and also whether you choose to recognise it at all.

difficult to explain, but easy to see if you know what you're looking for.

in my opinion, anyway
Old 25 Jul 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2930938)   #43
darcia2
Rookie

darcia2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went friday evening to see the film in Melb.... full house many emotions by all that were there . the general release is August 11... for Australia...
The film was everything i was lead to believe .. and more ill see the film again
and if there is a rumored 4hr version that would awesome .....
Old 25 Jul 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2930942)   #44
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We will never know and it really doesn't matter I guess, but I'd say Adrienne was probably more in love with him, than him with her. Apparently Senna told other people he had no interest in marrying her, yet.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2930961)   #45
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
that level of self-awareness is pretty rare, and something you very rarely see (actually you don't see, you feel, but that's not the point). it also takes one to know one, as it were. if it's coupled with physical attraction it's absolutely unbreakable and unignorable which is when the soulmate thing comes in. in terms of racing, that self-awareness seems to create this level of thinking akin to stepping back but it allows you to engage more with what you do without actively thinking about it. you can see when drivers able to use that state of mind disengage for any reason - they start to be aware of their decisions and start to make bad ones. that state of mind coupled with senna's ridiculous driving abilities made him pretty unstoppable. how you choose to label all that depends on your beliefs and society, and also whether you choose to recognise it at all.

difficult to explain, but easy to see if you know what you're looking for.

in my opinion, anyway
It's mine as well because I understand completely where you're coming from and for such a complex subject you have articulated it very well.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2930968)   #46
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcia2 View Post
We went friday evening to see the film in Melb.... full house many emotions by all that were there . the general release is August 11... for Australia...
The film was everything i was lead to believe .. and more ill see the film again
and if there is a rumored 4hr version that would awesome .....
A little way back on this thread Jeremy Smith gave a link to a discussion about the film that was held after a private showing. It was quite a long listen (50 minutes or so) but worth it, and one of the things the writer, Manish Pandey, said was that the Blu-Ray version will be longer and include interviews with talking heads. Maybe as extras, I don't know.

One of the other speakers was the then McLaren team co-ordinator, Jo Ramirez, and what he had to say was really interesting as well.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 19:35 (Ref:2931036)   #47
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adriane is better than never: "Adriane Galisteu one more time". And all this after she had her first baby last year.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2931046)   #48
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Adriane is better than never: "Adriane Galisteu one more time". And all this after she had her first baby last year.
Jesus that jolted me awake.

One of my biggest regrets in life was letting this one Brazilian girlfriend go by the wayside, for really no reason, I was pretty dumb I guess.

Today I was thinking about Senna again and remembered there was this one documentary I have somewhere that was done about his life back in Brazil in the off season. It's about an hour long. It shows him building a house, helping youngsters with karting, enjoying the beach life.

Very sad that all that he had, he didn't get the chance to enjoy further. I think for me, it is a good reminder to enjoy life and living, because the time that we have is short and fleeting.

Ultimately, I think life and it's importance isn't so much about how much money you have or how long you live but what you bring to other people. And I think his legacy is that he inspired a lot of people, his ongoing foundation has helped thousands of Brazilian children and a lot of motorsport safety changes happened that probably saved other lives.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2931059)   #49
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Today I was thinking about Senna again and remembered there was this one documentary I have somewhere that was done about his life back in Brazil in the off season. It's about an hour long. It shows him building a house, helping youngsters with karting, enjoying the beach life.

Very sad that all that he had, he didn't get the chance to enjoy further. I think for me, it is a good reminder to enjoy life and living, because the time that we have is short and fleeting.

Ultimately, I think life and it's importance isn't so much about how much money you have or how long you live but what you bring to other people. And I think his legacy is that he inspired a lot of people, his ongoing foundation has helped thousands of Brazilian children and a lot of motorsport safety changes happened that probably saved other lives.
I have that documentary on VHS tape too, if it's A Star Named Ayrton Senna. You'll see the young Bruno in it, although I didn't know it was him at the time. I also have one called Inside Track: Senna And McLaren and the official season video of the 1993 season. It's actually called Senna Fights Back and has a photo of him on the cover even though Prost won the title. But Ayrton was driving at his very best in his last year with McLaren.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2931109)   #50
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I have that documentary on VHS tape too, if it's A Star Named Ayrton Senna. You'll see the young Bruno in it, although I didn't know it was him at the time. I also have one called Inside Track: Senna And McLaren and the official season video of the 1993 season. It's actually called Senna Fights Back and has a photo of him on the cover even though Prost won the title. But Ayrton was driving at his very best in his last year with McLaren.
Well there was that 7 episode BBC series on McLaren in 1993, which was probably one of the more interesting and useful tv series I've seen on F1.

I wonder if that house he was building as seen in the documentary I originally referenced ever got finished?