Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Aug 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2518909)   #1
Sideswipe
Rookie

Sideswipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy Lights Salaries?

Just having a look on the driver profiles on the Indy Lights site (http://www.indycar.com/pro/drivers/) and noticed most of the drivers have "earnings" over $50,000 and some over $200,000. Is this total career earnings, Indy Lights prize fund earnings or salaries they are paid by the teams?

Sideswipe
Old 10 Aug 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2518984)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Career earnings probably - they're almost certainly paying the teams not the other way round.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2518999)   #3
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is prize monies awarded in Lights series over their career, But I supose it has to be viewed in the contexts of the +1 mill. budgets/per season that they are paying to the teams to run them.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2519090)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salaries? Is there any driver getting a salary in any junior open wheel formula?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2519098)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Almost certainly no, although I do remember hearing something about one or two GP2 drivers being paid. Supposedly some BTCC drivers are paid (Neal, Gio, Colin Turkington and the SEAT guys before they pulled out) but that was before the economic climate changed and a subject for another thread.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 00:58 (Ref:2519903)   #6
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Some of them may just be paid their salaries, or pocke money, hored cars or rented accomodation fees, from their sponsors. There are drivers in junior level that are paid for doing their job...
Old 12 Aug 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2520070)   #7
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Some of them may just be paid their salaries, or pocke money, hored cars or rented accomodation fees, from their sponsors. There are drivers in junior level that are paid for doing their job...
Yeh! by their dads!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2520459)   #8
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not necessery, also by sponsors.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 00:18 (Ref:2520538)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Not necessery, also by sponsors.
I'm not sure about Europe and Britain, but for the North American series I know, sponsorship would go entirely to funding the ride...and usually not cover all of it. When all expenses are accounted for, I doubt any junior series drivers have anything left they could call a "salary". Hence, I think Mak's comment is mostly accurate.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Aug 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2520753)   #10
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm not sure about Europe and Britain, but for the North American series I know, sponsorship would go entirely to funding the ride...and usually not cover all of it. When all expenses are accounted for, I doubt any junior series drivers have anything left they could call a "salary". Hence, I think Mak's comment is mostly accurate.

UK and Europe most drivers have drives funded by family.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2520906)   #11
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prize money is very good in Indy Lights. It is normally up to the driver to negotiate a deal with his/her team with regards to prize money. Some teams might take a flier on a good driver and offer a cheap deal but then take all the prize money to offset the costs. Some drivers who pay full budgets will get all the prize money again to offset the fees he/she is paying to the team. I know last years Atlantic champion pocketed over $1million after paying the team....
Old 13 Aug 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2520908)   #12
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the earnings on the website is just for this season
Old 14 Aug 2009, 02:51 (Ref:2521141)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77 View Post
I know last years Atlantic champion pocketed over $1million after paying the team....
Are you talking about Markus Niemela? The one who was in a legal dispute with his team last year to try and recoup winnings that the team claimed were rightfully theirs? I never did hear how that turned out... Or is the $1mil you're referring to from Indy Lights?
Old 14 Aug 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2521590)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes there are drivers in junior formula that have banked salaries or that take a cut of the sponsorship they bring.

Also in american formula with prize money, often if the driver pays full freight for a ride also keeps the prize money, which is fair enough considering the driver is paying the bills.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2525208)   #15
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Yes there are drivers in junior formula that have banked salaries or that take a cut of the sponsorship they bring.

Also in american formula with prize money, often if the driver pays full freight for a ride also keeps the prize money, which is fair enough considering the driver is paying the bills.
Actually the sponsors are most likely paying the bills, but I'm guessing they never see any prize money.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2527046)   #16
blue40
Rookie

blue40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been fully funded rides in both Atlantic and Lights in the past few years.

Sierra Sierra ran Matos in Atlantic in 06 and 07, fully funded with a small salary. Same year Newman Wachs ran two cars fully funded.

Sam Schmidt ran the no 11 Lucas Oil car as a fully funded ride with small salary and prize money cut until 07.

AFS ran a funded car in 06,07 and 08 with small salary and prize money cut. Team 3G ran a funded ride for Bobby Wilson last year.