Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Dec 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3694890)   #51
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
AA this week suggests that both WP & prodrive have approached Kia for discussions, however only one of these two were engaged in discussions..
Interesting combination - both were very disappointing factory efforts for their respective teams at the end of their tenure - but PRA found winning form after the factory money stopped.

WP has a lot longer history of success but not much in the recent past either. I'd tend to think WP is probably better resourced to do it - especially with the rumours of PRA splitting up.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 22:56 (Ref:3694893)   #52
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Part of me thinks that perhaps WP losing the factory team title was due to talking to other manufacturers.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 22:56 (Ref:3694894)   #53
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Part of me thinks that perhaps WP losing the factory team title was due to talking to other manufacturers.
I feel like getting pantsed by 888 for ten years might have had more to do with it... Holden consolidating its investment where it pays off...
Old 8 Dec 2016, 23:18 (Ref:3694901)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The deals to import & comply Dodge trucks as well as cracking up an aftermarket business outside of the HSV operation likely wouldn't have won too many fans inside Holden either..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Dec 2016, 23:21 (Ref:3694903)   #55
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The deals to import & comply Dodge trucks as well as cracking up an aftermarket business outside of the HSV operation likely wouldn't have won too many fans inside Holden either..
The aftermarket business has been in operation for well over 10 years.

Also interesting who the other partner in the RAM trucks business is!
Old 8 Dec 2016, 23:29 (Ref:3694907)   #56
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The aftermarket business has been in operation for well over 10 years.

Also interesting who the other partner in the RAM trucks business is!
Maybe its just my own straw poll, but the aftermarket stuff seems to come up in magazines, marketing & promotion etc a lot more now that it has in the past.

Of course the imminent demise of the Holden/Chev V8 ex-factory may probably be one of the causes of that...

And then we can talk about the caravans business...
Old 8 Dec 2016, 23:50 (Ref:3694910)   #57
Mixer
Veteran

I don't think Holden could fault them or complain - they employ a lot of people and the demise of Australian manufacturing was predicted for a long time - so they had to make contingency plans and protect their investments and people.
Old 9 Dec 2016, 01:52 (Ref:3694925)   #58
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And let's not forget their dabbling in Porsche for AusGT
Old 8 Jan 2017, 23:48 (Ref:3701139)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Kia Stinger For Oz
Old 8 Jan 2017, 23:56 (Ref:3701140)   #60
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sweet looking car

Would tempt me away from a commodore if that was the market i was in
Old 10 Jan 2017, 00:53 (Ref:3701420)   #61
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Kia Stinger GT a game changer

Quote:
The Kia boss said Supercar racing could be part of the mix to deliver the Stinger brand to enthusiasts, but hinted factory support would be required to make that happen.

"Racing might be part of it... That hasn't been decided. [But] Everything is on the table. Everything is under study because it's [Stinger] so damn important to us," Meredith said.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 01:31 (Ref:3701444)   #62
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Such a great name for a car too.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 01:33 (Ref:3701445)   #63
Mixer
Veteran

It is a hot looking car and with 500nm and RWD it will find some fans.

If you were a manufacturer looking to change your image, this is a great way to do it, and their Tennis sponsorship reportedly runs out in 2018...
Old 12 Jan 2017, 21:09 (Ref:3702177)   #64
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
which one would you choose?

or

Old 12 Jan 2017, 22:06 (Ref:3702192)   #65
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah the Kia is looking really promising. It would make a lot of sense to run it in SC, provided you can find the right team of course.

Of all the potential new manufacturers, this car would have to make Kia the favourite wouldn't it?
Old 12 Jan 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3702196)   #66
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Yeah the Kia is looking really promising. It would make a lot of sense to run it in SC, provided you can find the right team of course.

Of all the potential new manufacturers, this car would have to make Kia the favourite wouldn't it?
Agreed
Old 13 Jan 2017, 23:01 (Ref:3702442)   #67
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Kia, or anyone else for that matter, enter the series if they have no chance of winning?

They'd only have to look at how AMG, Volvo and Nissan have done to see what's in store for them.

Unless they could align to 888 or DJR-Penske, there would really be no point to it at all.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 00:14 (Ref:3702452)   #68
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Success is not always found in race results.

Having said that, all three marques you've mentioned have tasted wins here and there.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 02:39 (Ref:3702460)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Why would Kia, or anyone else for that matter, enter the series if they have no chance of winning?

They'd only have to look at how AMG, Volvo and Nissan have done to see what's in store for them.

Unless they could align to 888 or DJR-Penske, there would really be no point to it at all.
prodrive may be an interesting choice though.

If you accept a front line engine program costs something like $400k a year, maybe more with heavier development, and you have 4 cars, and someone shows up with money to develop new engines, supplied effectively free, the money now not used on the engine program can go back to the chassis program, engineering resource & perhaps driver choice...
Old 14 Jan 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3702535)   #70
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Who says they will have no chance of winning?

Point 1: As Umai Naa says, Nissan/Volvo/Merc have all won races, though maybe not many.

Point 2: 2018 is probably the best point to come in as a new manufacturer. Holden will be coming in with their V6 TT; who knows what the Ford teams will be doing; and Nissan might be in their last year of VK56, 2019 might see a new platform and motor for them. Volvo of course will be gone unless Garry gets his 2 year Christmas wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckstar View Post
which one would you choose?
Based on those pics and not a test drive - definitely the Kia. Never thought I would see myself saying that!
Old 15 Jan 2017, 00:01 (Ref:3702636)   #71
Forda
Veteran

Replace "no chance" with "a very small chance", but you know what I mean.

Despite their few wins, AMG and Volvo seemingly couldn't get out quickly enough, and behind the scenes things looked a little acrimonious.

Nissan have shown patience again (much like they did in the Group C/A days), but have been constantly reviewing their involvement.

Group A was abandoned with arguably less faults that what is present in the current series; and if as you say 2018 presents the best opportunity (for new players entering), then the powers-that-be really need to ensure they're on the right track for this to indeed be the case.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 01:29 (Ref:3702825)   #72
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Despite their few wins, AMG and Volvo seemingly couldn't get out quickly enough, and behind the scenes things looked a little acrimonious.
AMG were never in, this was never a factory effort at all, despite the veneer.

Volvo were genuinely a contender but corporate had different ideas about what they wanted to promote.

Quote:
Nissan have shown patience again (much like they did in the Group C/A days), but have been constantly reviewing their involvement.
Blaming the series or rules for the Kelly's lack of success seems to ignore the Kelly's lack of success in Commodores...
Old 16 Jan 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3702900)   #73
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
AMG were never in, this was never a factory effort at all, despite the veneer.

Volvo were genuinely a contender but corporate had different ideas about what they wanted to promote.
But they both wanted out, right?

Quote:
Blaming the series or rules for the Kelly's lack of success seems to ignore the Kelly's lack of success in Commodores...
Nothing was mentioned about blaming the Kelly's - that's your straw man argument.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3702914)   #74
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
But they both wanted out, right?
AMG were never in, they were paid a lot of money to do work in a series they didn't care about and didn't really understand.

Quote:
Nothing was mentioned about blaming the Kelly's - that's your straw man argument.
I am blaming the Kelly's - you raised the point of "how Nissan have done"

You can't view this in isolation. The relevant teams have each had their part to play in their lack of success. Equality in the rules doesn't mean everybody gets a pat on the head and a participation trophy - teams have to engineer themselves to the top and have the best of everything. I'd make a strong point that the Kelly's have never looked like this since they left WP.

Volvo were proof positive it could be done with the current rules - they made Erebus and Nissan look poor by comparison. But they are off.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 02:26 (Ref:3717388)   #75
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Kia Stinger Supercar renders revealed

just an idea of what it may look like