Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 14 Mar 2018, 08:11 (Ref:3807869)   #1
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank de Jong RIP

Many of you will be aware of Frank de Jong's wonderful website touringcarracinghistory.net - he posted regularly here, both seeking and freely sharing information on his passion for 'tin-tops'.

Sadly, Frank passed away on March 10th, a few days after his 59th birthday.

© Hans Fohr

I understand that there are plans by some of his Dutch friends to ensure that his legacy is preserved and that his website continues.

Bob Marley
Old 14 Mar 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3807910)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sad news, glad though that the website will hopefully continue
Old 14 Mar 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3807916)   #3
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear the news. Always looking on his websites. RIP Frank.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3807952)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
R.I.P.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3807981)   #5
Fechna
Racer

Germany
Germany
Fechna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats so sad. I absolutely love his site. Thoughts and prayers to his family.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3807986)   #6
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that. I've always enjoyed spending a few idle hours on his website.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 18:13 (Ref:3807997)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Sorry to hear that. I've always enjoyed spending a few idle hours on his website.
If start looking at this sort of sites in no time it's a hour later.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3808000)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
That's sad to hear- I corresponded with Frank a couple of times and sent him a few bits of 80's race reports, but I've spent far too many hours getting lost in old touring car pics and results.

Good to hear that friends are working to keep the site going and preserve Frank's legacy though- it would be sad if such a valuable historic resource was to be lost after all the hard work Frank put in to make it happen
Old 14 Mar 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3808004)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
BTW the link in the first post is not correct, it's http://touringcarracing.net
Old 15 Mar 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3808109)   #10
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad news indeed, he did really good work with his website that was a great source of information.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3808128)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A great shame, I too have spent lots of time looking through his site and reading about meetings that I actually attended in the day. What has surprised me is his age as I assumed (wrongly) that he was older ? RIP Frank
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Mar 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3808130)   #12
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP
Old 15 Mar 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3808150)   #13
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad to hear of this, I was a frequent visitor to his website and corresponded recently with some information to share.

RIP Frank
Old 16 Mar 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3808338)   #14
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad to hear this. Will be missed.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3809343)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes very sad news, I received a message over the weekend.

RIP Frank, thank you for your help and also for your enthusiasm for all things tin top. Thoughts with your family and of course friends of which there are many.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3810835)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad news, and Peter's post above, says it all.

I'll now move this to the Tributes forum but have left a redirect
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 12 Jul 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3836306)   #17
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How very sad. I've been using his website for research lately.
Old 15 Feb 2020, 13:52 (Ref:3957716)   #18
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Sorry to resurrect this thread, is anyone attending to Frank's website these days?
Old 15 Feb 2020, 18:18 (Ref:3957740)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I look it up now and again
Old 15 Feb 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3957742)   #20
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I just wondered because I've been going over his result tables from the first BSCC in 1958 in an attempt to get an idea of how the full points table would have looked i.e. every driver who would have scored rather than just the top insert-number-here. I already have the end result published in the 1958 BSCC thread.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 18:40 (Ref:3957843)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I believe the question was- is anyone attending to- as in looking after site maintenance, updates etc.......
Old 17 Feb 2020, 09:24 (Ref:3957948)   #22
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I believe the question was- is anyone attending to- as in looking after site maintenance, updates etc.......
I just wish I had someone to forward my research on the first ever BSCC in 1958 to, that's all.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3957951)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recall his brother(?) wrote to me and told me he would be continuing the website. It is still running so presumably there is a site admin.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 09:52 (Ref:3957960)   #24
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I recall his brother(?) wrote to me and told me he would be continuing the website. It is still running so presumably there is a site admin.
Tell me more if you can....
Old 17 Feb 2020, 09:55 (Ref:3957962)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

I did check on the site updates page and nothing has been updated since early 2017 a year before he died :|