Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Jun 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2217388)   #26
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back form the race, it was awsome, so nice to see more then 18 or so cars on the track. Many, Many, Many good passes for position, quite a few times with some close passes down the strait to get the crowd stand up (looked to me as the best crowd in a long time I love unification). Dixon was good the whole race, Grahm was driving and passing great before the crash (didn't see that, wrong corner). Servia was Awsome, especially at the end in his fight with Carpenter, awsome driving by the two. Great side by side passes. The crashe at the end was big, execelnt on Briscoe for making it through, Vitor Car just launched off Andretti (No one was hurt) Servia had one save on turn one while touching or barley touching Buddy Rice. Viso was driving good, many passes early then his car went down off the pace at the end. Will Power was goo in the begining of his stints, though his pit stop incedent put him back down the line. Briscoes car game alive at the end of the race, Congratulations to him.
Excellent race, nice to see some of the Transition drivers and Rookies do good on an oval and how well all the drivers mixed it up with each other.
Glad to see the Big Crowd (how did it look on tv?, in the stands it looked good but I may have missed open spots) maybe that will influence Elkhart back on the map.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 02:26 (Ref:2217426)   #27
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
great drive by ryan - about time he had a little luck, that last lap accident almost gave me a heart attack to think ryan was so close to it
Old 2 Jun 2008, 04:28 (Ref:2217450)   #28
amjf088
Rookie

amjf088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a good race. Nice, quality win by Ryan there. good to see a good, fast drive yield the win and not one of those fuel strategy races. Dixon and Briscoe were the fast drivers of the day and it was getting very exciting. It would have been great if the race could have finished under green.

Overall, I'm very pleased for Briscoe, especially after the near-villification of him from some quarters after last weekend's mishap.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 05:23 (Ref:2217459)   #29
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't count Ryan out in the championship race - there are a bunch of road and street courses remaining, and we know about his talents in that department.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2217499)   #30
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Don't count Ryan out in the championship race - there are a bunch of road and street courses remaining, and we know about his talents in that department.
I dont mind Briscoe but seriously do you rate him up against Dixon for the Championship race. Dixon is also great on Road and Street.

Yea I know I am bias
Old 2 Jun 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2217505)   #31
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
I dont mind Briscoe but seriously do you rate him up against Dixon for the Championship race. Dixon is also great on Road and Street.

Yea I know I am bias
Yes, if you are talking about pure speed, I do think Briscoe is a faster driver than Dixon on road and street courses. That's not to suggest Dixon is slow - he's insane fast. I just think Briscoe's a little bit more insane fast on those circuits.

However, Dixon is probably going to get to them with a handy cushion in the points standings - and there is no doubt that Ganassi seems to have its cars sorted better than any other team for virtually every track configuration.

If Dixon has a couple of rounds where things don't quite go his way, I think Ryan might be able to claw back a lot of ground in the second half of the season.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2217535)   #32
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjf088
Nice, quality win by Ryan there. good to see a good, fast drive yield the win and not one of those fuel strategy races.
A rare thing in North American racing, if you take it to not be fuel-based.

This is one of the things I have always loved about NAm racing: I think fuel economy is entirely valid (this will, IMO, come evermore to the fore in years to come).
Old 2 Jun 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2217611)   #33
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well done Ryan i knew you had the talent lets hope it continues and you can continue to shut the doubters up.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2217918)   #34
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw a bit of this between Nascar, and then the last 50 or so laps, looked great! shame it had to end under yellow, that would have been an awesome finish.

Oh and great that Briscoe won his first race too!

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 2 Jun 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2218110)   #35
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Yes, if you are talking about pure speed, I do think Briscoe is a faster driver than Dixon on road and street courses. That's not to suggest Dixon is slow - he's insane fast. I just think Briscoe's a little bit more insane fast on those circuits.

However, Dixon is probably going to get to them with a handy cushion in the points standings - and there is no doubt that Ganassi seems to have its cars sorted better than any other team for virtually every track configuration.

If Dixon has a couple of rounds where things don't quite go his way, I think Ryan might be able to claw back a lot of ground in the second half of the season.

And what makes you think that?

Sure the Ganassi cars are strong but hey the Penske cars are no slugs either. As for faster driver than Dixon on rd or st courses are you forgetting where Dixon cut his teeth. I certainly wasn't ovals.

Again for the record I dont mind Briscoe, and while I will help him celebrate his victory I just dont think he is better than 4th - 5th for the championship
Old 2 Jun 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2218260)   #36
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Well, if you want some hard stats...

In his rookie Indycar season, this is how Briscoe compared to team mate Dixon in 2005 qualifying on street and road courses.

St Petersburg - Qualifying
Briscoe - 10th
Dixon - 11th

Briscoe led the race before a tangle with Tony Kanaan knocked him out of the lead in the dying stages.

Infineon Raceway - Qualifying
Briscoe - 1st
Dixon - 9th

Briscoe again led the race before causing an accident with Danica and Helio.

Ryan missed the third road course event in 2005 because of his big crash in Chicago.

At this year's first street course, Briscoe qualified fifth to Dixon's 13th.

Ryan finished third in a Dreyer & Reinbold car at Watkins Glen in 2006.

Ryan was quite frequently faster than any F1 team mate he was put up against in testing at Toyota.

It is absolutely no slight on Dixon (who is incredibly quick), but Briscoe's pure speed on street or road courses is phenomenal.

Last edited by mac; 3 Jun 2008 at 00:01.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 02:57 (Ref:2218295)   #37
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Briscoe really needed a win, he has been had a terrible season up to this last race.

Penske will tolerate only so many destroyed cars.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 03:47 (Ref:2218304)   #38
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC

Sure the Ganassi cars are strong but hey the Penske cars are no slugs either. As for faster driver than Dixon on rd or st courses are you forgetting where Dixon cut his teeth. I certainly wasn't ovals.

Again for the record I dont mind Briscoe, and while I will help him celebrate his victory I just dont think he is better than 4th - 5th for the championship
At least in terms of cutting his teeth Dixon did well down under on road courses but oddly enough since starting in Indy Lights and then beyond to the irl, he has always done better on ovals.

I don't see Briscoe yet as a championship player. But when I gained a lot of respect for him was when he drove anything in 2006 to keep his career going. He had a lot more tenacity than I had seen before, so we'll see where it goes.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2218655)   #39
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man I was at the edge of my seat the whole race - brillant win for Ryan... much needed win too

Im not a gloater but I do have to get one thing off my chest...

Sweetest moment all year was when Ryan lapped Dianca "everyone has to move outta my way or else" Patrick.... Mate that was the bomb!

how do like them apples sweetheart!
Old 3 Jun 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2219049)   #40
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead
Sweetest moment all year was when Ryan lapped Dianca "everyone has to move outta my way or else" Patrick.... Mate that was the bomb!

how do like them apples sweetheart!
Funny how things turn around. I bet you could have heard that "glump" going down her throat on the radio.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2219458)   #41
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Funny how things turn around. I bet you could have heard that "glump" going down her throat on the radio.
couldnt happen to a nicer person
Old 5 Jun 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2220461)   #42
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What on earth was Rahal blathering on about? He tried to overtake someone on the marbles and suprisingly hit the wall.

Also I love the double standards you get when sometimes people are praised for trying to fight the leader to stay on the lead lap - and probably the same people complain (tho no-one in here i'm sure) when the favourite drives into the wall because of someone racing.

I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt because he's young and quick. Would enjoy seeing him swap places with Darren though