Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jul 2008, 03:24 (Ref:2255600)   #1
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E85 gets the go ahead (ethanol blend of fuel)

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/content..._the_go_ahead/
Quote:
Teams in both the V8 Supercar Championship and Fujitsu series will run an 85 per cent ethanol blend of fuel in their cars next year.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 04:31 (Ref:2255615)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isnt LPG better than Ethanol from an environmental perspective?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:38 (Ref:2255636)   #3
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i had a similar idea GTR sprint gas could make a killing out of just supplying bits to the category.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:44 (Ref:2255639)   #4
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be good in a prang though, don't you think? A hundred litres of gas under pressure copping a hit at 150kmh?

Back at the Bathurst 12-hour in 1993 (I think) our team held-out on allowing a gas-powered car to race because our team manager had taken advice on that very thing.

We were pressured to allow it to run but then it scared the hell out of everyone when they changed cylinders (couldn't regas it in pitlane) and the connection let-out a helluva bang as it was released.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:49 (Ref:2255642)   #5
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
refueling pitstops would be interesting.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 06:46 (Ref:2255659)   #6
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Isnt LPG better than Ethanol from an environmental perspective?

Fair call, most taxis run on LPG anyway.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2255678)   #7
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
12 hour race with a ea eb falcon
it had a quick release hose and the tank was just popped in and out like a forlift

I would be more concerned about petrol igniting in a crash
Old 22 Jul 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2255785)   #8
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinJ
12 hour race with a ea eb falcon
it had a quick release hose and the tank was just popped in and out like a forlift

I would be more concerned about petrol igniting in a crash
smokin, I'm not so sure about that. The LP gas is under pressure and would escape more rapidly. It would become explosive almost instantly.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2255831)   #9
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO after the free trade agreement with the yanks, were the Cane farmers got left out in the cold, Along comes Tc to rescue the cane farmers.

Big enthonal plant going in a DALBY Qld. They might get to be the preferred supplier to V8 SUPERTAXIS

Old 23 Jul 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2256852)   #10
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But ethanol will destroy their engines, eat their fuel lines and induce early male pattern baldness.

Won't it?
Old 23 Jul 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2256859)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz
But ethanol will destroy their engines, eat their fuel lines and induce early male pattern baldness.

Won't it?
And increase fuel consumption....
Old 24 Jul 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2257093)   #12
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But ethanol will destroy their engines, eat their fuel lines and induce early male pattern baldness

And the flaggies will get drunk on the fumes....

So what happens when the fella with the breatho asks a marshal to blow into the bag and gets a positive reading.....

And the flaggy says....What do you expect! I've been trackside with the V8SCs all day not waving any flags.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2257154)   #13
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, instead of molasses, there was a report I heard on the tv that NSW farmers are allowed to grow hippie weed for hemp. I was thinking, could the unused by-products be turned to ethanol? Or would everyone get high and stoned on the fumes?
Old 24 Jul 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2257254)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Well, instead of molasses, there was a report I heard on the tv that NSW farmers are allowed to grow hippie weed for hemp. I was thinking, could the unused by-products be turned to ethanol? Or would everyone get high and stoned on the fumes?
Well in the USA they have started using switchgrass to make cellulose based ethanol.

Don't think everyone would get high and stoned on your hemp blend because the chemical involved in that is THC and I don't think that would survive the chemical process of producing ethanol. Sorry.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2257256)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Won't it?
It will destroy an engine not converted properly to use ethanol yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

It looks like Algae grown fuels hold a lot more promise than ethanol BTW.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2257411)   #16
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ethanol fuels do have alot of drawbacks, BUT -

*It's Cheaper
*It IS somewhat better for the environment
*Will provide a slight octane advantage (if the mix is done right)

One of the GREAT things (not for us as consumers, though - read this as a BAD thing for us joe shmoes!) is that the E85 in some instances is unreliable in it's combustion, meaning it is consumed more than a normal blend (For example, a Mazda 6 on Caltex ULP might get 9 KM to L around Sydney, and 7 KM to L on E10...) - I dont have any figures on E85, but alot of the engines running thme are tuned purely for E85 and have complex computers to de-tune the motor when running it.

Will this make the racing more dependant on fuel stops, meaning we could see some REAL pit stops and not contrived?? STRATEGY! Woooooo!
Old 26 Jul 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2258033)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Senna05 this has already come out you use about 50 per cent more fuel in a v8 supercar on E85. meaning mor stops.

this has meant that nex year the v8s will have a different race structure without CPS because they will need to make a stop for fuel (they will do tyres i expect while this happens.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2258353)   #18
ernie endbert
Rookie

MagnetON
Parts unknown
ernie endbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Senna05 this has already come out you use about 50 per cent more fuel in a v8 supercar on E85. meaning mor stops.

this has meant that nex year the v8s will have a different race structure without CPS because they will need to make a stop for fuel (they will do tyres i expect while this happens.
So does a V8 Supercar burning 50 % more fuel; end up 50% better for the environment, or 50% worse ?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2258399)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
50% more fuel? So Bathurst will be an 8 or 9 stop event??

This improves the racing how exactly?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2258414)   #20
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
50% more (double) but with only 15% "petrol" means it's still 70% less raw petrol being used.

That said, depending on what type of ethanol is used other polutants will be made. The EU are still doing alot of studies on Ethanol blends and what the pollutants will equate to.

Certaintly makes for some good sprint races, but GTR, you are right. With the safety cars and more stops, it may well come down to a big bag of luck come the enduros!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2258489)   #21
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
50% more fuel? So Bathurst will be an 8 or 9 stop event??

This improves the racing how exactly?
Well it doesn't improve the racing really - not unless someone does a Gibson Motorsport (circa 1995 - 1997) and can run 7 or 8 laps longer then the others.

If Bathurst becomes a 8 or 9 pitstop affair, you can bet your bottom dollar every team will pit under every pace car.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 02:31 (Ref:2258772)   #22
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km
Well it doesn't improve the racing really - not unless someone does a Gibson Motorsport (circa 1995 - 1997) and can run 7 or 8 laps longer then the others.

If Bathurst becomes a 8 or 9 pitstop affair, you can bet your bottom dollar every team will pit under every pace car.
Any room for bigger tanks?
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2258808)   #23
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
Be good in a prang though, don't you think? A hundred litres of gas under pressure copping a hit at 150kmh?

Back at the Bathurst 12-hour in 1993 (I think) our team held-out on allowing a gas-powered car to race because our team manager had taken advice on that very thing.

We were pressured to allow it to run but then it scared the hell out of everyone when they changed cylinders (couldn't regas it in pitlane) and the connection let-out a helluva bang as it was released.
I seem to recall it was Mal Rose & Iann Luffs MobilGas Falcon EB. It was 1994, and I believe the loud bang had nothing to do with the LPG, but an air hose explosion from one of the air jacks/air guns.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 05:45 (Ref:2272520)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Presumably the parent company's pull out is an indicator that Caltex wont be the "new" VESA sponsor to be announced at Bathurst Here
Old 21 Aug 2008, 06:00 (Ref:2272521)   #25
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting as E85 ethanol fuel is a fuely imported product mainly from Brazil and the USA.....