Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 2 Apr 2000, 17:46 (Ref:10825)   #1
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well finally we're off to something.
Mosley asked the teams to simplify their electronic systems aboard the cars for more transparency for the scrutineers.
First steps must already be made at Imola.

What do you think is possible and realistic here?
Do you think electronic 'easter-eggs' like traction control will be eliminated by these kinds of measurements?
Do you favor or oppose a ban on advanced electronics?
How do you think this will affect the gaps between the teams or drivers; i.e. will McLaren and Ferrari be as much in front as they are now?
Do you think the current ratio car\driver of 80\20 responsible for the package performance can be reverted to an ideal situation of 50\50 by any means?

Regards,

Dino IV
Old 2 Apr 2000, 18:07 (Ref:10826)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good question Dino.

I read somewhere this week that one team's tech director has said that it would be worse than reverting to carburettors.
I'm not sure it will be that bad, but there will be changes.

Engines will not be able to limit rpm during wheelspin by sensing torque differential. (traction control by proxy). Therefore the emphasis will be on the driver to control the revs on standing starts and low speed corners. This will also have an effect on engine reliability.

As I understand it, there will be a limit on the number of engine sensors to (I think) four. This is likely to eliminate the airbox sensor that detirmines fueling under extreme situations. (extended pitstops and delayed starts)

There will also be limits on the amount and type of telemetry. This is likely to include automatic engine RPM limiting - drivers will have to be aware of pit-lane speeds once again.

The main thing is, this will only affect those that are cheating. Anyone who complains probably has plenty to lose.

This will have the effect of promoting less well-funded teams, as the not so powerful engines (such as the supertec and older Sauber-Petronas Ferrari engines) will close the gap with the current electronic tech wizards.
Old 6 Apr 2000, 23:05 (Ref:10827)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you visit www.reuters.com/news you will find something very interesting:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Motor racing-Formula 1 team cheated last season - Mosley<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Please read it, it is really interesting. I couldn't find it anywhere else on net, don't know why. Could be the cause of this sudden urge of banning advanced electronics? Do you know some more details about this?
Old 10 Apr 2000, 12:58 (Ref:10828)   #4
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it's all over the net now, Red

Yeah it's true. Traction control has never left the scene really.
It's a bit annoying that Mosley didn't name the team when he wanted to bring this one out.

Last rumours are that either McLaren or Williams brought some illegal engine-mapping of Ferrari to FIA's attention but Mosley will reveal the team's identity soon I guess.

What do you all make of the questions in my original post?

Cheers,

Dino IV
Old 10 Apr 2000, 14:35 (Ref:10829)   #5
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it would be a reasonable thing for engineers to protect their engine by preventing it from free acceleration faster than a preset value.

This surely would mean that this value could be set low enough that it was just above the feasible acceleration of the
tyre/transmission/engine combination when the tyres have grip.
Therefore a natural traction control device created out of the engineers initial desire to protect the engine.

This area isn't the great problem, th eNo.1 problem is aero downforce.

F1 should run at 100mm (4") clearanc elike the rest of us.
;-))
IanC
Old 13 Apr 2000, 12:11 (Ref:10830)   #6
Marco94
Rookie

Marco94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I found interesting is Mosley's choice of words. He said he did believe "it did not change the outcome of the WC." There is lots of room for interpretation.

What championship is he talking about, driver or constructor.

Why did it not influence the championship? Were Ferrari and McLaren _not_ using TC?

I just read that Bernie is upset with Max and wants to have names. We'll see.
Old 16 Apr 2000, 23:16 (Ref:10831)   #7
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Hi Marco,

Mosley was as much a Sphinx as he wanted to be I guess.

It could be anybody until the team's identity is revealed. Even Ferrari or McLaren. Maybe it's about a race one of those didn't score any points by DNF or finishing outside top 6 like Albert Park in the case of McLaren or Nurburgring in the case of Ferrari.

Truth is outthere
Old 18 Apr 2000, 14:46 (Ref:10832)   #8
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I think they should ban sequential gearboxes. Be even more input from the drivers then