Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Does the McLaren MP4-18 really exist?
Yes, I really do believe it exists! Honestly, you may laugh but I do! 20 47.62%
No, Ron has given it to Stodders as a present! 2 4.76%
No, they designed such a 'dog' that they've ditched it! 5 11.90%
No, they have spent all their money on the shiny new motorhome! 15 35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24 Jun 2003, 16:42 (Ref:641613)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does the McLaren MP4-18 really exist?

Here's a thought - does the McLaren MP4-18 really exist or have they been bluffing all the time.

It's all a bit strange, don't you think?

Old 24 Jun 2003, 16:51 (Ref:641622)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very funny.

No it exists, it's just not ready (for TGP?).

Last edited by Adam43; 24 Jun 2003 at 16:52.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 16:57 (Ref:641630)   #3
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you sure?

I mean would you put good money on it being released during 2003/4?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 17:10 (Ref:641643)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do you believe in UFOS ? [Undentified Formula One Stillborn]
Old 24 Jun 2003, 18:55 (Ref:641809)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
If it doesn't exist, they've done wonders with computer graphics and holograms taking something round the test tracks! .
Just that it may end up being the 2004 car as well!
Old 24 Jun 2003, 20:13 (Ref:641889)   #6
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iam sure we will see it out there racing one day

Probley during the start of the 2005 season
Old 24 Jun 2003, 21:02 (Ref:641942)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh don't be so ambitious!
Old 24 Jun 2003, 21:16 (Ref:641968)   #8
ferrari_mark
Rookie

ferrari_mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no hurry for it...the old car is doing better than they imagined I reckon. If it hadn't been I think they would have hurried along the production of the MP4-18.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 21:32 (Ref:641990)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Perhaps the current car really IS better than the new one.

Plus it has passed the FIA safety test!

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 24 Jun 2003 at 21:33.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 07:30 (Ref:642299)   #10
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
your poll seemed to have somewhat backfired on you there!
Old 25 Jun 2003, 07:39 (Ref:642312)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally i think that the MP4/18 is just one of those stories to scare the kids away, like the Bogeyman and the Easter Bunny.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 25 Jun 2003 at 07:40.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 09:10 (Ref:642398)   #12
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by twig
your poll seemed to have somewhat backfired on you there!
Why is that? It was only a bit of a laugh!

Bit like Lleyton Hewitt's performance at Wimbledon!

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 25 Jun 2003 at 09:12.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 09:12 (Ref:642400)   #13
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Personally i think that the MP4/18 is just one of those stories to scare the kids away.
maybe it was created to scare Ferrari, get them to bring out their car first.
oh and if the answer is that it MUST exist because you've seen test pictures, they're fakes, it was all done on a Scalextric set.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 09:42 (Ref:642423)   #14
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a great big conspiracy. There is no new McLaren. The whole thing was done using mirrors and special cameras. The problem is that Ron Dennis hasn't told his drivers that there is no new McLaren because if they thought that they had to take on Schumacher in the quick and reliable Ferrari, using the old McLaren for the whole year, they wouldn't have the motivation to do it. It's the promise of the new car that Ron hopes to use to help Kimi overcome Schumi.

Last edited by Shoe-maker; 25 Jun 2003 at 09:44.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 10:14 (Ref:642460)   #15
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this thread belongs to Gravel Trap

P.S. I don't believe you fallks actually voted!
Old 25 Jun 2003, 11:09 (Ref:642505)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Stoddart is leasing his newly-aquired Arrows chassis to McLaren, who have re-painted them and are pretending that they have a new car.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 11:43 (Ref:642530)   #17
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ljakse
I think this thread belongs to Gravel Trap P.S. I don't believe you fallks actually voted!
Ljakse - whilst being a bit of fun, there is a serious side in my mind - will this thing ever fly this season, or is it going to be one long string of promises about its release.

McLaren seem to be able to get all the other 'bells and whistles' up and running - surely the car is the most important?
Old 25 Jun 2003, 11:53 (Ref:642543)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Formula 1 Scary Nursery Rhymes - Imagine Jean and Ross tucking Rubens and Michael in for the night and reading:

"Once upon a time there was there was a Wizard named Ron who wanted his cars to finish in front of the Red cars. He stayed up very late every night using all of his magic powers to make better canooter valves so his cars would finish in front."

Rubens' and Michael's get very big and they ask "Did it work?" Ross and Jean smiled and said "Sometimes, but not always."

"So the Wizard thought he would cast a spell to make everyone in F1land believe that he had a magical car that was even faster than the one he had so that all the people would be afraid and concerned and waste their spells on potions to improve their canooter valves. So he did! Soon all were talking about the marvelous new car, but one day a wise young man named Hugh of Jarce said: 'but where is this car, this most marvelous of cars?' And poof! The spell was broken, and the car was never heard of again!"

Story courtesy of Fractured Fairy Tales.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 12:45 (Ref:642609)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Jarce, twas time for you to get out of the GT, and spread your funny polls into the motorsport world (Guinness accepted here, too!)
About Macs, well, i guess that sooner or later we'll see a new one: Ron won't go on running Mp4-17 forever!
Old 25 Jun 2003, 13:25 (Ref:642671)   #20
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon they`ve created a bit of a dog myself, they keep crashing it in testing,I reckon Mclaren will probably say they give it its track debut in Japan!!and then stick it in their museum as a concept car.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 14:41 (Ref:642727)   #21
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few $ spent on some weird bodywork bolted to an old model-easy!
Run funny fuel to make it seem like it's faster
GREAT value for money in the psych out stakes!!!!LOL
Old 25 Jun 2003, 16:21 (Ref:642796)   #22
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Didn't Ron once boast about the number of display cabinets at 'base' showing visitors the McLaren technology that never made it into F1?

Ssshhh! Listen! Can you hear that noise?

Sounds like sawing and drilling?

Do you think a rather large perspex display cabinet is being made?

Old 26 Jun 2003, 06:35 (Ref:643389)   #23
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh Mr. JohnSSC tell us another!!

absolutely hillarious stuff!

I personally think its like the US - Russian tank gap, The russians actually built "tanks" out of plywood shells on old cars to make their army look stronger than it was, and look what happened to them.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 07:43 (Ref:643416)   #24
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

I think there was an inflatable tank that blew away in the wind somewhere in the UK recently. The MOD were looking everywhere for it.

Maybe McLaren MP4-18 is a 'blow up' model which is why it has failed the FIA crash tests. It could simply have got a puncture!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 16:41 (Ref:643880)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The delays to the MP4/18 are discussed here:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=40089

I haven't merged this thread into it because of the risk of destroying the flow