Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Mar 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1254666)   #1
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
50 Years of Marshalling

In 2007 the Marshals’ Club will celebrate its fiftieth anniversary. To commemorate this event I would like to try to put together a history of the Club and the changes that have taken place in fifty years of marshalling – and I need your help!

It is my intention that it should be a fairly light-hearted history of marshalling but it needs to be historically accurate, too. Keith Douglas, principal founder and constant supporter ever since, has put some of his memories on tape of those very early days. Stuart Turner, well known raconteur and prominent member of the Motorsport Safety Fund has given me his recollections of Jack Bannister and John Ashton of North Staffs Motor Club who worked together with Keith to form the Marshals’ Club in 1957.

I need lots more information of those early days if the history of marshalling is to make any sense. I would like to hear especially from anyone who can remember the Marshals’ Club being formed, the changes this brought and the views of others in motorsport on what purpose the Club might fulfil. What was marshalling like before the Marshals’ Club came along? How quickly did the Club make an impression on the marshalling scene? There were many “in authority” who thought it would become the marshals’ Union and that there would be strikes and all that went with the worst of unionism at that time. Thankfully, this never was the case and by the time I became involved many who harboured these suspicions had become the Club’s greatest supporters.

So, if you have personal memories of the very early days of the Marshals’ Club or you can put me in touch with anyone who might, do please contact me.

Beyond the early days, we had the formation of the first Emergency Services Team at Silverstone, under the tutelage of the very well respected Phil Morom, ably assisted and encouraged by Jimmy Brown of Silverstone Circuits, another Marshals’ Club friend over many years. There was the formation of the British Rally Marshals’ Club in 1980 and the new Northern Ireland region at around that same time. Then, of course, we had the introduction of the Marshals’ Training and Grading Scheme, widely copied around the World, in umpteen languages at last count and adopted by the MSA as the National Marshals’ Training and Grading Scheme ten or twelve years ago.

I would be very pleased to hear from the people involved in these various initiatives, to know a little more about the thinking behind the new ideas and the improvements they brought to marshalling.

I would also like to hear any anecdotes you have to offer on marshalling occurrences, or stories on interesting characters involved with the Club or whom you have come across while marshalling. John Felix and I well remember a couple of "interesting characters" in the Midland region who caused us some embarrassment when their approaches for sponsorship became a little "too enthusiastic", shall we say! I remember Fred (?) who, when cars were returning to the pits at Silverstone past the old Woodcote corner, banged the helmet of one driver Fred thought had been ignoring his yellow flag signals during the race! I am sure there are many more, please let me have them.

When I feel I have enough contributions, I will try to organise them into some semblance of order. I am sure I can rely upon some of our journalist friends to help if this proves to be beyond my limited literary talents! Marcus Pye has already contributed his own memories of marshals and marshalling and Paul Lawrence, Historic Car clubs’ Journalist of the Year and ex-flag marshal par excellence, has offered help. Should it become worth publishing – wonder of wonders – all proceeds will go to Marshals’ Club funds, for allocation to suitable marshalling causes.

Contributions by e-mail to MacGWC@aol.com or I can supply my home address for anything that needs to be relayed by post.

George W Copeland
National Treasurer, BMMC
Old 17 Mar 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1254670)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
George, what a wonderful idea!

I hope you have unlimited downloads on your e-mail and that you can bribe the postman to deliver the huge amounts of snail mail that you are about to receive!

I'm sure I can come up with a few stories - one involving Arturo Merzzario, a barbeque and a leaking fuel rig immediately springs to mind, as does the story of car 42 and the singed window sill at Donington's race control!
Old 18 Mar 2005, 01:15 (Ref:1254768)   #3
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
George, what a wonderful idea!

I hope you have unlimited downloads on your e-mail and that you can bribe the postman to deliver the huge amounts of snail mail that you are about to receive!

I'm sure I can come up with a few stories - one involving Arturo Merzzario, a barbeque and a leaking fuel rig immediately springs to mind, as does the story of car 42 and the singed window sill at Donington's race control!
Sheila,

Yes, those are just the sort of stories that I want to hear. I cannot guarantee to print every one but if I don't have them I won't know where to start!!

Regards,

George
Old 18 Mar 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1255594)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And of course, there is always my favourite tale of me and Ayrton Senna! Give me a few months and I could write a whole book on my own!

I'll get my thinking cap on and send you somthing soon.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1255619)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Trying to get a feel for what are you looking for. Most of us can do dozens of two-line annecdotes, or are you looking more for the half page remembrance, such as being in the paddock when Jenks was taking the wotsit out of Surtees because he'd beaten him up the hill?
Old 19 Mar 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1255677)   #6
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Trying to get a feel for what are you looking for.
Principally, I need lots of information about the early days. What was marshalling like before 1957? What effect did the BMRMC have initially? I have Keith's memories but it would be great to have other memories from folks who were around at that time. I think that much of The Marshals' Club's activities in the early days were around Oulton Park; what memories do some of our older Northern Region people have?

Thereafter, I would like to hear from those who were involved with Phil Morom in the formation of the first ES Team at Silverstone. I would like to hear, too, from those who were involved in the early days of our Training and Grading Scheme and the changes that brought to a safer motorsport. These were two major landmarks in marshalling history and I feel sometimes The Marshals' Club does not get enough credit for these important initiatives. My own memories of these occurences are reasonably clear but I would like to hear from those more closely involved.

I am quite prepared to hear from those who might not have agreed with the changes The Marshals' Club made, as well as from those who were closely involved and in favour. I welcome any contributions from competitors, who might well see "officialdom" in a completely different light to ourselves!

I intend to include a chapter or two on the realities and the dangers of marshalling, with contributions from several of our colleagues who experienced or were close to those who sustained serious injury in the process of doing their marshalling duties.

Then, I would like to hear of the interesting characters who go marshalling and any interesting/amusing anecdotes you have to offer. I have always been fascinated by the fact that marshals are drawn from all walks of life, yet marshalling has remained almost totally classless. This last aspect has improved greatly over the years. There was a time when selection for senior posts was very much who you were, who you knew, rather than how capable you were!

I hope, too, to have interesting contributions from the likes of Jackie Stewart, who waged his own safety crusade amidst much criticism during the late 1960's and early 1970's. I hope that our eminent past Presidents will have something interesting to add.

At this stage, if anyone has anything interesting to offer, please let me have it. I cannot guarantee to print everything I receive - it it ever gets to publication stage - but I will be grateful to receive any sensible contributions anyone might have.

I have so many very happy memories from 35+ years' marshalling and I would like to put something back, if I can.

George
Old 19 Mar 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1255808)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
George,
A good bet would be to get in touch with a North region veteran called Cliff Hammond.
His knowledge of marshalling and Motorsport goes back about 300 years (He was in his teens then).
Seriously, he's a Marshalling Encylopedia(?) - plus he'll have photo's as well!
I don't have his number but I'm sure a call to the regional Chairman would solve that!
Old 26 Mar 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1262505)   #8
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
George,
A good bet would be to get in touch with a North region veteran called Cliff Hammond.
!
Thanks, Mark, Cliff was already on my list and letters went out this week to various folks of that "certain vintage".
Old 27 Mar 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1262728)   #9
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If you ever see Mick Divine on circuit he's full of info on marshalling.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1263117)   #10
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The names that spring to mind are Ben Irons & Dick Fraser as having knowledge of marshalling from the early days. Whether or not they would be willing to be contacted, I don't know.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1263259)   #11
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
Thanks to Nighthawk and joyceswan for reminders on Mick Devine (anyone have a contact address?) and Ben Irons. I have already been in touch with Dick Fraser and, hopefully, a few more of that "premier cru vintage" will respond to the article in BMMC Trackside and in The Marshal within the next few days.
Old 21 May 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1306339)   #12
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
George, Thought you might appreciate an update that your request for contributions has managed a 1/3 page spread in the Motoring Section(Auto Insight) of this weeks 'Sutton Coldfield News' appearing under the Section Banner. The circulation of this will also pick up in adjacent areas, i.e Walsall, Tamworth, Lichfield etc.
Looks like John Connor(Motoring Correspondent) hasn't forgotten the arm twisting he used to get from the likes of Lawrie Edwards!!

Kind regards,

Jim Lamb

Last edited by Jim Lamb; 21 May 2005 at 20:27. Reason: oops