Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 10 Nov 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1762584)   #26
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Incidentally both races were organized by the same people
Old 10 Nov 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1762649)   #27
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a farce that is.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1762661)   #28
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I love the official press release...
"After two cars had experienced minor incidents at turn eight, the hairpin bend at the end of the straight, which caused the session to be red flagged"
Old 10 Nov 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1762668)   #29
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ohh official press releases.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1762717)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
This is really bad.

The Melco hairpin at Macau has always been regarded as very tight - it's a permanent yellow flag zone - but the cars have (almost) always managed it. Even Ralph Firman on a demonstration run in an F1 Jordan a few years ago, although he had to power slide the car to do it.

If this corner is worse than that, and it sounds to be, then shame on whoever designed it and how on earth did it manage to pass the FIA inspection?
Old 10 Nov 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1762758)   #31
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It didn't
Old 10 Nov 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1762796)   #32
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep things got pretty pathetic, with most of the cars having to either powerslide out of the hairpin, or having to do a 3 point turn!

Some of them just got stuck against the wall...maybe the drivers never bothered to learn how to put the cars in reverse?

At the moment it looks like the track will be shortened, using a wider part of that straight to make a new hairpin.

But it was a day full of surprises today, so who knows really?
Old 10 Nov 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1762804)   #33
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, there's a plan of the revised circuit on autosport.com here.

Not great, but it looks workable and will be acceptable if it enables the meeting to go ahead.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1762814)   #34
Miranda
Rookie

Netherlands
Zoetermeer - the Netherlands
Miranda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a joke...

Old 10 Nov 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1762890)   #35
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I also forgot to mention earlier was my first moment of shock, which was when I arrived in a taxi and found turn 3. That and turn 2 are basically blind 90 degree corners which have absolutely no run off areas! The outside of the corners are solid concrete walls with a couple of rows of tyres. How they have passed the FIA inspection is beyond me...

Another thing to note is that the pit lane is too short. Before each session cars are parked on an angle, as this is the only way they will fit. The teams are going to have to cooperate regarding which lap they come in to change tyres during the feature race, as there is no way they can all come in together.
Attached Thumbnails
Pit Lane.JPG  
Old 10 Nov 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1762899)   #36
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and in case anyone is interested here are my favourite shots from Friday.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ste...prix/my_photos
Old 10 Nov 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1762913)   #37
blackfalcon
Racer

blackfalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm getting a message your page is inaccesible
Old 10 Nov 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1762937)   #38
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope that for next year they reinstate the hairpin, just having made it wider. It is pretty stupid to have it as it is though.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 10 Nov 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1763030)   #39
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Serious questions need to be asked of the FIA delegate, and also for that matter the circuit organisers. How difficult would it have been to drop a phonecall to A1GP and ask what the turning circuit is of the cars.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1763253)   #40
DAE
Rookie

DAE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,
just had a text message from the circuit:-
ran for 30 minutes, before manhole covers started lifting, game over for today.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 06:29 (Ref:1763256)   #41
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
This is just terrible.

It doesnt look good for the whole weekend

do you think they will race at all ?
Old 11 Nov 2006, 07:29 (Ref:1763267)   #42
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
How annoying that in an A1GP press release they have credited the FASC for solving the layout problems. The event is a farce and that FASC are clueless!

Problems I faced/was told about at the track today:

1. No idea how to get to the grandstand as no signage, so had to walk around half the circuit to find the overpass.
2. No shelter, food or beverage available, and no rubbish bins!
3. Grandstand seating was planks of wood covered in dirt and dust. Was kicked off another grandstand after 30mins because apparently it was not safe, and it was situated in an absurd location anyway (50m back from the track!). Good some good shots from one end of it while I was there at least.
4. No announcements at all about what was going on. I stood around for three hours, when I left at 2.30pm local time people were still waiting and turning up. I even saw two people running to the track because they were scared they were late...
5. Official photographers were complaining because the fencing has no gaps, so no way for them to take images!

A bad joke really but I am not laughing.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1763307)   #43
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shambles to say the least. These sorts of problems should of been sorted out Thursday. Couldn't they of got a car out there to check all these things. As for the manholes, well they should of been properly sealed to begin with! I feel very sorry for the paying spectators, do they not deserve some sort of refund for Friday and today!? Lets hope that with such little track time we end up with a very open and exciting race and pray it goes by without any problems.

I wonder if A1GP will be so keen on 2 races in China next year!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1763326)   #44
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 Team Netherlands take pole in Beijing

It has just been officially confirmed that A1 Team Netherlands will start from pole position in tomorrow’s Sprint race. Due to problems with a manhole cover on the circuit the qualifying was cancelled. According to article 144 of the Sporting Regulations the times from free practice will be decisive for the grid in the case that qualifying is cancelled. Netherlands will thus start from pole, followed by Mexico and Canada. It’s the first pole position for A1 Team Netherlands.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1763354)   #45
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Albert
...maybe the drivers never bothered to learn how to put the cars in reverse?
Unless you get it just right It usually snaps the cable I believe. Most teams never check to see if its all working properly in fear of breaking the cable.

As for the pit stops, I think most teams usually check with each other, and they pre-determine what lap they will come in.

But the whole weekend seems like a right farce, and is really not helping the reputation of the series.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1763363)   #46
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
De Ja Vous really (DTM 2004).

Circuit looks terrible for racing anyway...more processional than Monaco but without the pazazz.

Too narrow over similar circuits like the Norisring to provide any overtaking.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1763383)   #47
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say that the event as a whole has become something of a joke.

I think I'm right in saying that the cars have had about 30 minutes at best of green flag running.

The revised hairpin while now a bit wider, looks terrible with the pit entry right on the racing line. The bumps on the track looked bad when SkySports showed Simon Hill driving the safety car around, but when they then showed the earlier much truncated practice, the A1GP cars were having their back wheels kicked clean off the ground!

I don't hold out much hope for a "good clean race" tomorrow. Hell I think they wil have trouble getting the cars lined up side by side for the rolling start without them being bounced into one another.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1763389)   #48
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both races are starting behind the SC, which I interpreted as meaning that the cars would line up in single file.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1763396)   #49
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
It is a shambles, as someone has already said.

On the other hand I don't think it is fair to blame the FIA Delegate, Charlie Whiting. From what I can gather, the very private way the Chinese go about these things is to do their own thing until the last possible moment, in this case yesterday morning, when the FIA inspection immediately brought the problems to light.

In the political world of motor racing, the A1GP people have to go through the motions of thanking the Chinese for their efforts in seeking to resolve the problems, but I bet that underneath that veneer they are absolutely seething.

The only good thing than can come out of this mess is for the Chinese to realise that if they really want to become part of the world of motorsport, then they must in future forget their secretive ways and do things as everyone else does. It's a tried and proven method.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1763445)   #50
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
On the other hand I don't think it is fair to blame the FIA Delegate, Charlie Whiting. From what I can gather, the very private way the Chinese go about these things is to do their own thing until the last possible moment, in this case yesterday morning, when the FIA inspection immediately brought the problems to light.
The problem is, the inspection didn't bring these problems to light.
They were discovered when the cars were on the circuit.

I seem to remember that the FIA inspection at Durban took place a few days before the event, and if this had been able to happen here then there might have been more time to discover more problems - but the "last possible moment" as you mentioned perhaps meant that things whilst sufficient weren't as thorough as normally?
One must also question if there was reason for the A1GP and/or FIA to insist they got involved earlier, and be more forceful about matters.

Either way, I hope that lessons will be learnt...