Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Dec 2017, 03:46 (Ref:3785963)   #1
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars Fuel - Switch to E10 from E85?

Auto Action references discussion in the Supercar ranks of moving to E10 in 2019, away from the current E85.

What would the effects of this change be, and is it a simple change or something more complicated?

Presumebly we would see an increase in fuel economy? For instance at Bathurst until 2009 the teams could get, on average about 32 laps of fuel per tank, then in 2009 it went down to 22-ish....

The return of flames out the exhaust?
Old 9 Dec 2017, 22:52 (Ref:3786073)   #2
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fuel economy will improve and there will likely be some minor intake manifold design changes but nothing severe (trumpet/runner lengths for example) since the effect of less ethanol on the torque curve is similar to running in colder ambient which the teams adjust with those lengths/diameters.
Old 10 Dec 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3786111)   #3
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Being completely honest for a moment; I thought that Supercars made a switch back to "regular" fuels when the Sucrogen sponsorship quietly finished/went away a few years back.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 03:42 (Ref:3786213)   #4
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Being completely honest for a moment; I thought that Supercars made a switch back to "regular" fuels when the Sucrogen sponsorship quietly finished/went away a few years back.
Supercars don't much mention fuel these days. I went for a look the last time I was at an event - they use Shell E85.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 05:35 (Ref:3786224)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Supercars don't much mention fuel these days. I went for a look the last time I was at an event - they use Shell E85.
United was both a supplier and a series sponsor, while Shell fuels seems to be a toll manufacturer, without the marketing support.

There was some chat at one point that LPGas might have been an option for Supercar, with the market giants in that space interested in joining in...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Dec 2017, 02:02 (Ref:3786438)   #6
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There was some chat at one point that LPGas might have been an option for Supercar, with the market giants in that space interested in joining in...
I heard the same thing, but was for the ute's....
Old 12 Dec 2017, 02:55 (Ref:3786447)   #7
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
United was both a supplier and a series sponsor, while Shell fuels seems to be a toll manufacturer, without the marketing support.

It is the exact same fuel as when sponsored by United, manufactured by race fuels.
Just a different colour drum with Shell on it instead.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 11:06 (Ref:3786512)   #8
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if they will decrease the fuel tank size to get the same distance per tank as what they get with the current E85 fuel.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3786513)   #9
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I wonder if they will decrease the fuel tank size to get the same distance per tank as what they get with the current E85 fuel.
Hope not, i'd rather it got back closer to the 30-odd lap stints we had pre-2009 (admittedly the tank size is smaller these days too)
Old 12 Dec 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3786514)   #10
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wish they would ditch the mandatory fuel drop rule. Is Nissan still struggling that much with economy?
Old 12 Dec 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3786516)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
I just wish they would ditch the mandatory fuel drop rule.
dont understand that, Fuel drop is one of the best rules that promote strategy that they have come up with.

From a spectator point of view, it provides no harm, from a racing point of view it is equal, but it allows to teams to provide real startegic points of difference
Old 12 Dec 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3786518)   #12
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
from a racing point of view it is equal,
Racing is not supposed to be equal

Why can't those that have built engines with better economy be allowed to benefit? This rule just encourages mediocrity when it comes to getting better fuel economy
Old 12 Dec 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3786520)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

Why can't those that have built engines with better economy be allowed to benefit? This rule just encourages mediocrity when it comes to getting better fuel economy
sorry, its not supposed to be equal, says who? Thast the ways supercars are built.

And so what? We have a control series,
Old 12 Dec 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3786527)   #14
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:

To be fair, even with the fuel drop, fuel economy is still important as it alters fuel windows slightly in the same manner a race without the fuel drop would. Personally I just find it to be an additional and unnecessary variable as the sport has enough cautions to allow for a good variation in strategies without a fuel drop requirement which often just complicates the racing and makes it more difficult to follow on TV. Lost count of the amount of times the pit commentary team was relaying rig drop figures which led to the commentary team attempting maths and getting themselves confused.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3786529)   #15
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are they really changing the fuel, or are we jumping at shadows?
Old 12 Dec 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3786533)   #16
Jam3s
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Are they really changing the fuel, or are we jumping at shadows?
It's likely since Shell don't produce the current fuel and wish for the series to use their product.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3786549)   #17
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Extremely unlikely now, given they originally told Holden they were and then backtracked which had an impact on development of the 6
Old 12 Dec 2017, 22:36 (Ref:3786675)   #18
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Extremely unlikely now, given they originally told Holden they were and then backtracked which had an impact on development of the 6
Source?
Old 13 Dec 2017, 02:39 (Ref:3786717)   #19
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Source?
Someone close enough to know.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 04:27 (Ref:3786740)   #20
Jam3s
Racer

I'd be surprised if the concerns of a manufacturer regarding an issue which can be solved would outweigh that of a major series partner.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3786752)   #21
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
sorry, its not supposed to be equal, says who?
Says just about every competitor (as opposed to promoter) in motor racing since the beginning of time?

As Penske golden child Mark Donahue once said, everyone in motor racing is seeking the unfair advantage

Quote:
Thast the ways supercars are built.
Is a VF Commodore, Nissan Altima and FG X Falcon all built equal?

If so then why do we need fuel drops?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 08:16 (Ref:3803748)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
It is the exact same fuel as when sponsored by United, manufactured by race fuels.
Just a different colour drum with Shell on it instead.
So it’s made by Vantage Fuels?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3803792)   #23
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Auto Action references discussion in the Supercar ranks of moving to E10 in 2019, away from the current E85.

The return of flames out the exhaust?
OK & good
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3803794)   #24
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is a VF Commodore, Nissan Altima and FG X Falcon all built equal?

If so then why do we need fuel drops?
Because the Nissan engine is a not purpose-designed performance engine.u Unlike the Ford, Chevrolet or Volvo-Yamaha which have performance roots; the Nissan is based on a utility 4WD engine and will never be competitive otherwise.

Make no mistake, the GTR twin-turbo V6 -- being designed from the outset as a performance engine -- would be much more competitive, but Nissan do not have the interest to incur the huge expense to homologate another engine.