Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 8 Jun 2012, 12:37 (Ref:3087514)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Model car sales

Looking for some guidance. Not really been that much into racing for the past six or eight years, preferring to watch a little on TV but mainly just enjoy looking back. I have accumulated quite a collection of stuff in the intervening years but, with the addition of a second child three months back, the time has come to give up my office in the name of the new nursery.

As well as a large number of books (mostly Le Mans and Touring Car related) I have a few collections of diecasts:

1:18 Le Mans winners (complete from 1939 to 2009 - 39 cars)
1:18 Ayrton Senna Collection (complete)
1:18/1:24 Juan Pable Montoya (was complete now just 4 or 5 remaining)
1:43 BTCC Super Touring cars (complete except for four cars - 95 cars)

Plus various display cabinets and assorted memorabilia to dress them, etc. All models with the exception of one or two are boxed.

A few years ago I helped a friend sell his collection off at some sort of model fair at the NEC. Does anyone attend these things either to buy or sell and can anyone recommend the best one? How much do they cost to attend and how do they work?

Thanks
Craig
Old 8 Jun 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3087681)   #2
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a few years (ok maybe 10) ago at the motorsport show in jan at the NEC there used to be many second hand stalls with car boot type stuff through to good collections, these days it is just so expensive you havnt got a chance. You would be better to ask your local BTCC visiting track how much they would charge you to do your own stall for the weekend
Old 10 Jun 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3088331)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I don't have enough to justify a stand at anything like that (probably a couple hundred cars max plus some books, DVDs, videos) and besides the people who go to a BTCC event aren't likely to be collectors; different demographic I would say. I could eBay but that is just a royal pain in the arse and you lose most of your potential profit to eBay fees, Paypal, postage and, well, sheer time when I could be earning money doing real work!
Old 10 Jun 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3088350)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The big problem is (as you say) finding somewhere that your target market is going to be, there are quite often local toy / collectors fairs but again there's the target market problem - realistically how many le mans / super touring collectors will be there? And again there's the cost of having a stall at one of those - and is there enough stuff to make taking a stall worthwhile?

Unless you're willing to shift the collection out en mass to one of those "we buy collections" type of people (and take a big hit on the value) then ebay is probably your best bet (even with the hassle and costs) - at least that way your audience is bigger.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3088555)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I remember the one we did at the NEC was really busy and we sold almost all of the 'stock' although we did discount quite heavily towards the end to save taking anything home. The last few remaining bits and bobs went on eBay.

I just wish I could remember what the event was!
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3088654)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Craig, long time no speak, but I believe there's a collectors fair that goes to Donington exhibition centre. I've no idea what it's like, or how lucrative it is, but the dayes usually get printed on the new models page of Classic and Sportscar - you could make sure the date coincides with a good meeting at the circuit perhaps?
Old 11 Jun 2012, 03:39 (Ref:3088791)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Craig PM me. I can help. I do a lot of the fairs.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3089536)   #8
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toy Fairs

The toy fairs at the NEC and Donington are run by http://www.bpfairs.com/
Takes me back, it's years since I have been to one of those.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3089685)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seriously craig PM me!!!
Old 21 Jun 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3096015)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Thanks for the tips, guys (good to hear from you, Tim, drop me a PM and let me know what you're up to these days!!)

I've not had chance to do anything since I posted but I guess I need to start by itemising what I have and attempting to put a value on them. Sam, feel free to PM, fella if you think you have an idea?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 09:38 (Ref:3099322)   #11
CKM
Rookie

CKM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Thanks for the tips, guys (good to hear from you, Tim, drop me a PM and let me know what you're up to these days!!)

I've not had chance to do anything since I posted but I guess I need to start by itemising what I have and attempting to put a value on them. Sam, feel free to PM, fella if you think you have an idea?
When you have done a list can you PM me a copy?? or would you like me to PM you with the ones I'm really looking out for?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3099390)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
We have two kids at home - one three months old and one twenty months old - possibly better to send me a list and let me glance through the display cabinet above my desk at home. Sitting down and typing up a list is going to take a wee while to achieve!
Old 29 Jun 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3099746)   #13
CKM
Rookie

CKM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig.

I have sent you a PM (not 100% sure it got send though)
Old 29 Jun 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3099948)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Received. Will have a look when the little'uns are asleep later!
Old 29 Jun 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3099998)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I have just put together a list of what I have available in the BTCC 1:43 collection. Anyone interested please PM me for the list!
Old 25 Aug 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3124694)   #16
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
The sale of cars is going reasonably well through word of mouth and I now have a proper list typed up and models priced. If anyone is interested drop me a line and I'll forward a copy. Hopefully I'll not actually have to eBay anything at this rate!