Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Mar 2015, 16:03 (Ref:3521503)   #51
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pwc HAS ALWAYS been like this,great to ok racing when green but always half or more time wasted under yellow.it just seems worse now because there's more pro drivers,and more serious race cars,with a lot more people watching now who never watched pwc before and expect BES.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 16:13 (Ref:3521508)   #52
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Pwc HAS ALWAYS been like this,great to ok racing when green but always half or more time wasted under yellow.it just seems worse now because there's more pro drivers,and more serious race cars,with a lot more people watching now who never watched pwc before and expect BES.
Did you mean BSS?

I get the feeling that enough people within PWC want to hold onto standing starts because they think it's an important differentiator to other GT series. As much as I hope that is not the case it seems silly that nothing has been done about it yet now that more attention (and therefore scrutiny) is being put on the series.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 16:20 (Ref:3521509)   #53
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty good race today, I thought. The long caution was unfortunate but the green flag racing that we did get was a lot of fun to watch.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3521513)   #54
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
The accident in todays race was more just the nature of street circuit racing.
Any series with that number of cars on the grid at a track like St. Petersburg is likely to have one or two (or three) of such incidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
So, we're STILL waiting to clean up the GTA R8?
I do wish that the track crews could be a bit quicker with the clean ups. Part of the problem is the limited number of tow trucks available.
I don't really want to slam the guys operating the tow trucks, but I'm always a little surprised when watching racing, at how much time it takes to load a stranded car onto the truck.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3521519)   #55
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that's too bad, the race got marred by that caution.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3521531)   #56
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I get the feeling that enough people within PWC want to hold onto standing starts because they think it's an important differentiator to other GT series. As much as I hope that is not the case it seems silly that nothing has been done about it yet now that more attention (and therefore scrutiny) is being put on the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
The accident in todays race was more just the nature of street circuit racing. Any series with that number of cars on the grid at a track like St. Petersburg is likely to have one or two (or three) of such incidents.
No, neither the standing start or the number of cars and track lay out had anything to do with the mess in race 2, it can solely be put down to 'driver brain fade'!

The blame is fully and solely on the driver of the first Cup Porsche (#18) to arrive at the scene at full speed and committed to the normal racing as if it was green - mind you, that was several seconds (>5) after 4 more GT cars managed to go around the two stricken cars almost immediately after the Mercedes came to a stop barely an inch from the spun Viper...!
Old 29 Mar 2015, 17:42 (Ref:3521533)   #57
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I wasn't talking about the particulars of today's crash (I haven't even seen the race so I can't say anything about it yet). I was thinking more generally of how PWC's standing starts account for a significant number of laps lost to yellow.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3521543)   #58
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
The accident in todays race was more just the nature of street circuit racing.
Any series with that number of cars on the grid at a track like St. Petersburg is likely to have one or two (or three) of such incidents.

I do wish that the track crews could be a bit quicker with the clean ups. Part of the problem is the limited number of tow trucks available.
I don't really want to slam the guys operating the tow trucks, but I'm always a little surprised when watching racing, at how much time it takes to load a stranded car onto the truck.
I can almost guarantee the tow truck operators can get those cars up way quicker...they just don't wanna be yelled at for "creating more damage."
Old 29 Mar 2015, 20:20 (Ref:3521579)   #59
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So WHO is going to YELL at the TOW TRUCK DRIVERS ?
Old 29 Mar 2015, 20:48 (Ref:3521592)   #60
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Team OWNERS who don't LIKE their already DAMAGED cars GETTING damaged MORE.

I say screw'em, your cars already stuffed, just yank it up on the truck and get it back to the pits.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3521667)   #61
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The two races for GT were a disaster. There was so little green flag racing. SCCA needs to do something. They go to Long Beach and I can see that race being another 30 minutes of caution.

I thought IMSA cautions were long but SCCA needs figure something out because it seems like they just take their dear old time out there cleaning up the carnage. It looks like they are just experimenting. For Example: The second race had the Spec Porsche class take off later and thus plowed into some GT cars. What were they thinking? Is SCCA like those over at IMSA where they won't make a change to provide top notch racing?

Maybe SCCA needs to put the GTA and Porsche guys in their own race so they can provide the parade under a full course yellow. Let the pro guys do it right and give us what we all want. The best racing in North America with the most exciting cars. Just do it under green, not yellow.

I'm glad I didn't spend my money going to St. Pete. I'd like to hear from the rest of you who were there at the track, what were your thoughts?
Old 30 Mar 2015, 00:59 (Ref:3521683)   #62
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
You realise that in any previous year that would have been like a 4 or 5 car grid, right?

Also, in both races pro drivers got into tangles that, if it had been in a different turn or time of the race, caused spins that could have brought out yellows (Catsburg in race 1, Davison in race 2).
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:31 (Ref:3521692)   #63
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Disappointing set of races, though it is interesting to note that the Indycar race was also heavily yellow.
I also have to echo TR about the tow trucks. Seems like they worked very slowly.
It's a shame that the cautions shortened both races, when the racing was green it was fantastic.

And speaking of fantastic, Sportscar 365 has a photo gallery for St. Pete, with plenty of PWC's awesome cars.

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...ekend-gallery/

Old 30 Mar 2015, 02:04 (Ref:3521709)   #64
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
The Indycar race was heavily yellowed because for the most part, bits of aerokit were strewn about the track. Not **** poor driving.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 13:36 (Ref:3521855)   #65
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The Indycar race was heavily yellowed because for the most part, bits of aerokit were strewn about the track. Not **** poor driving.
Lots and lots of damage and debris - mainly caused by "**** poor driving" - if you want examples watch the replay!

The Indycars were in good company though - World Challenge and F1 were hardly any different.

The Rubbin' is Racing disease is spreading...
Old 30 Mar 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3521870)   #66
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Lots and lots of damage and debris - mainly caused by "**** poor driving" - if you want examples watch the replay!

The Indycars were in good company though - World Challenge and F1 were hardly any different.

The Rubbin' is Racing disease is spreading...
I watched it live.

The only instance of truly bad driving was when Simona pitched Jakes into the grass and when Munoz hit Simona.

The rest was just spatial awareness with the new aero bits.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 14:25 (Ref:3521872)   #67
Coach Ep
Veteran

You just exactly confirmed my point, there was a lot of avoidable contact which - in my book - is poor driving.

But I guess that has become the accepted norm nowadays, not only from fans but also stewards and race directors. Sad development.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3521875)   #68
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
POOR DRIVING AKA : STUPID MOVE , BRAIN FADE , or DELIBERATE
Old 30 Mar 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3521892)   #69
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
No need to yell there, buddy.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3521923)   #70
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Total Driver Performance standings updated from St Pete
Old 30 Mar 2015, 18:36 (Ref:3521936)   #71
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I get the feeling that enough people within PWC want to hold onto standing starts because they think it's an important differentiator to other GT series.
Yes, they need to be differentiated from series which actually race for more than half of the posted race duration.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 19:36 (Ref:3521951)   #72
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Total Driver Performance standings updated from St Pete
helps if I include the link...duh

http://nasportscar.com/total-driver-...gtgta-st-pete/
Old 30 Mar 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3521965)   #73
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they were on a race course, then I think they would have delayed the race by red flagging it. But because they are on a street course they had no choice but to let the clock tick down. That's the chance for racing on a street course. I guess their lucky that type of accident happened near the beginning and not the later half.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 21:02 (Ref:3521977)   #74
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
If they were on a race course, then I think they would have delayed the race by red flagging it. But because they are on a street course they had no choice but to let the clock tick down. That's the chance for racing on a street course. I guess their lucky that type of accident happened near the beginning and not the later half.
The problem is the day is shared with IndyCar. When you're a support race you're given X amount of minutes to run your session, period. They don't adjust the schedule for you.

-mike
Old 30 Mar 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3521995)   #75
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
No, PWC runs to a 50-minuter time limit no matter what, because they are a support series, and the whole day's schedule cannot be pushed back just so a support series gets to run a full race.

I agree a red flag would be a huge improvement. No fuerl, no tires, just park the cars until the track is clear, do a parade lap, and roll off under green.

A bigger improvement would be to not have a multi-car wreck in the first lap or two every single race. A lot of cars get torn up, and that's not too good in a series where people run to save money compared to TUSC.