Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1022855)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The new boss?

Max is stepping down and who will step forward?

It seems to me that the main issue is that it is fairly short notice. Three months or so until someone replaces him (October 2004).

Will there be several candidates and where will they come from. It's a long time since we had an election. A high profile name, someone who is already there working behind the scenes. Perhaps a president of a national ASN?

I see (coincidentally?) that the France motorsport federation president Jacques Regis has attacked Mosely for being out of touch. (A bit pointless now!). Will he want to run?

Also does anyone know the procedure?
Old 1 Jul 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1022872)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It'll be someone obscure we don't know about.

It won't be Todt. Well, it best hadn't be anyways. I'd rather have Jeffrey Archer.....

I personally hope for Gerhard Berger! Wishful thinking!
Old 1 Jul 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1022881)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
wont be Todt... though strange things happen....
Old 1 Jul 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1022891)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about David Beckham... his football skills have seemed to diminshed and he always does something to create controversy.... seems perfect...
Old 1 Jul 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1022906)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf fan mate......

You just killed the thread.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1022997)   #6
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm quite frankly stunned that Mosley is stepping down. Although i'm not a big fan i don't see anyone good or qualified enough to take over.

There was a lot of talk of Ron Dennis taking over at the top a year ago, but he recently quashed these rumours. Also it's unlikely he would drop Mclaren in it's current state.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1023001)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's unlikely to be an F1 figure.

More a diplomatic-style person from somewhere in the ASNs.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1023027)   #8
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Edwards!!!

....Oh...sorry,...wrong thread!
Old 1 Jul 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1023043)   #9
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My money is on Todt - best man for the job, without a doubt.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 23:36 (Ref:1023119)   #10
Tamás
Rookie

Tamás should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi or one of the 'old boys' would become a good boss, I think.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 00:09 (Ref:1023135)   #11
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to remember though, FIA doesn't just work with F1, they have larger issues to deal with, such as road safety and such. And also, someone mentioned there could be a vice president who worked with motorsports - and there, you also have to remember, that F1 isn't the only motorsport either.

So there are more people in the world, suited to the job then an F1 personality.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 00:30 (Ref:1023146)   #12
Tamás
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by twig
You have to remember though, FIA doesn't just work with F1, they have larger issues to deal with, such as road safety and such. And also, someone mentioned there could be a vice president who worked with motorsports - and there, you also have to remember, that F1 isn't the only motorsport either.

So there are more people in the world, suited to the job then an F1 personality.
OK, I was quite narrow-minded.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1023209)   #13
Nizmo32_josh
Rookie

Nizmo32_josh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
......... James Allen ..........
Old 2 Jul 2004, 07:16 (Ref:1023344)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
(off topic: Tamás, I think twig was just saying what he thought rather than having a go).

Anyway
Quote:
Originally posted by twig
someone mentioned there could be a vice president who worked with motorsports - and there, you also have to remember, that F1 isn't the only motorsport either.
Max, himself, has suggested a slight change in structure to allow an overall president and a deputy (vice, etc...) that would deal with motorsport (including F1). He says that the presidents job covers too much an area and he needs help of another representative.

I wonder if this is how it will go, or whether it would need Max to impliment this change?

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Jul 2004 at 07:18.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 07:59 (Ref:1023384)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was going to suggest Sir Jackie Stewart but with all respect to Sir Jackie, I think he is too old for the job. What a shame he wasn't considered when the appointment of Max was made.

I think Max's successor will need to be someone who is more a politician as the job encompasses so many aspects of motorsport. To my mind David Richards would be an ideal candidate but why would he relinquish his role as head of BAR?

Of course we shouldn't overlook people like Colin Hilton at the MSA who has a great deal of experience in heading a motorsports body.

Like Knowlsey, I suspect it will be someone obscure that we have never heard of, possibly another Frenchman.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 08:06 (Ref:1023390)   #16
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Tamás,

I am gland another Hungarian is on this forum. I was alone for quite some time. So wellcome to ten-tenths. You have to cheer for Zsolti otherwise we ban you :-), that is a forum rule.

Anyway I hope its going to be Berger or Stewart. Stewart would probably be better for everybody, he is more of a potitician than Berger.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 08:11 (Ref:1023398)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
My concern has always been that Max Mosely has no clue as to why F1 has become dull.
Would a new president with correct views (eg less downforce more mechanical grip) be able to push their views through, or is it down to a load of execs, and that Max also has these views, but is unable to put them into action through red tape?
Old 2 Jul 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1023420)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at the FIA's motorsport role, I think we need someone who is less of a politician. The team bosses have learnt to play a political FIA chief like an old violin, they can stall, alter or simply not agree to any proposals or changes, hence the pace of change is painfully slow.

All the 'give with one hand and take with the other' type negotiations are very wearing and becoming more pointless, coupled with the fact that teams appear to agree to his face, and then do the opposite when back in the privacy of their factories. Is it time for more of a direct approach I wonder?

For example, BMW are threatening a pull out if the V10 engine format doesn't remain - OK, how about a like it or lump it approach, and see if they walk. If F1 is THAT valuable to them, which it must be to justify their vast expenditure on it, they will stay regardless - it's just thay they want F1 on their terms, well, so will Mercedes, Toyota and Renault. As Gerhard Berger said a couple of years back when commenting on the GPWC, he said it won't work because BMW will only want to build the engine they want and Toyota (for example) will want the rules to favour their car, etc. The same thing apply's in the current F1 regime.

To me the role looks to all encompassing, I can't see how one person can be in charge of governing global motorsport, deal with car manufacturer's and work on road safety.

The job of pushing through changes in F1 looks like a sufficent task on it's own to me, without anything else.

We need more of a 'spade caller', we cannot continue with a situation where the competitors effectively set the rules, and still have to be cajoled and fawned around to get them implemented.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1023908)   #19
Tamás
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Attila
Hello Tamás,

I am gland another Hungarian is on this forum. I was alone for quite some time. So wellcome to ten-tenths. You have to cheer for Zsolti otherwise we ban you :-), that is a forum rule.
It's self-evident that I'm a Baumgartner-fan as well as a lot of Hungarian people. But if I can remember well, it was you who told some months ago that he had got aquainted with Zsolt when our driver was driving in Germany.
It would be nice to meet other Hun users here.

But I am not going to talk about other things because thias topic is about FIA presidents...

Last edited by Tamás; 2 Jul 2004 at 17:44.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1023931)   #20
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Berger left BMW because he wanted to spent time with his family. It's extremely unlikely that he would take on a presidential role in the FIA.

Jacque Villeneuve is a more likely candidate.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1023941)   #21
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh no, not more of this JV !!!

Old 2 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1024076)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ove Andersson?
Old 2 Jul 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1024077)   #23
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankfully there is a God. And Max is on his bike out of F1.
F1 is still having trouble selling seats and Max reckons slowing it down will solve the problem.
400000+ go to see the Indi 500 and only a 1/4 of that go to see the F1 race.
Something to do with speed = excitement combined with closer racing.
Max making F1 cars into glorified F3000 wll not bring hoards back to F1.
Has Max really decided to retire or has he been pushed?
He has expressed some harsh words re the F1 managers.H may be Bernie's mate, but his plans may just crack the F1 Golden Egg. It has few dents at the moment but the team wners and Bernie don't want to see any cracks.
No doubt the replacement will jump from Bernie's pocket if the team owners get there way.
Somebody mentioned Stoddart, did you not read Max's comment on team owners?
S o Catman
Old 2 Jul 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1024085)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CATMAN - I think your assessment of Max is wide of the mark.

All this stuff about "glorified F3000" is not the case.

People said that about the changes for 1998 and now the cars are faster than they have ever been.

Max's plans will slow the cars and should make things more competitive too.

The decision to retire is quite clearly his own.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 21:03 (Ref:1024092)   #25
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Max did the safety aspect best, and pushed through rules that have saved more than a few driver's lives, but on the actual racing side he hasn't been much good to the sport.