Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Mar 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3808364)   #51
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Here are the previous qualifying lap times for protos. Just for reference.

2017: 1:48.173 Oreca
2016: 1:51.217 Ligier
2015: 1:51.152 Ligier
2014: 1:51.917 Corvette DP
2013: 1:43.886 Audi
2012: 1:45.820 Audi
2011: 1:46.571 Peugeot
2010: 1:45.214 Peugeot
2009: 1:45.278 Acura
2008: 1:44.271 Peugeot
2007: 1:44.974 Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
It seems that the improvements that Continental brought are working, given that DPIs are running borderline LMP1 times from 2012 (and not far off what LMP2s did during a Dunlop test last year).
Already more than a second under last years pole, and i bet we see a 1:46 in qualifying. That is pretty fast compared to the P1 times of yesteryear.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3808372)   #52
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
As I've said a few times in the past, the biggest thing holding these cars back has been the tires. They have as much power as the factory LMP1 cars of yesteryear or the LMP900s, but you'd expect that years of aero and technical development would mean faster times.

Now the DPIs are running times that IMO place them in the right generation of car, as they should be able to run times rivaling what LMP1s did a few years ago.

I don't think we'll see 1:45s or anything close to what Audi did in 2013 (official fastest lap at Sebring, though we know that their cars in '13 and afterwards went faster than that, including 2015 where they reportedly did 1:41s) this year, but the cars are running what I would consider realistically good times and about what they should be capable of doing.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3808375)   #53
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
GTD might hit 1 min 58's in qualifying toady. And that is on Contis too. GTLM was in that bracket only a couple years back. Speed gap between GTLM and GTD is smaller this year.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3808392)   #54
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All 10 DPi cars in a single second, they are a lot more close than I expected. The way the cars jumps on the bumps is incredible.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3808393)   #55
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz22 View Post
That's what I was thinking....what are these nuts burning now ?
It's actually a 300 acre muck fire nearby!
Old 16 Mar 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3808395)   #56
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
1. If they're so crappy, why would anyone expect them to lead any session? I think you answered your own question there.

2. Did I even bring up the Mazda-specific BoP? Again, if they're as crappy as you say, why would anyone expect it to make a difference?

3. I didn't denote any favorites in my posts, so what was your point?

Sorry, but I'm not operating on enough sleep for this. It's just a bit much when I didn't bring the thing up, and you criticize for something I didn't say, and all the while, you're the one dumping on it.

Hopefully, we'll see a smaller spread in some of the times come tomorrow's sessions.
I just smile and nod at this point lol.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3808397)   #57
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Definitely wasn't thinking I'd see the BMW on pole in GTLM, but I'll take it.

Derani, I think it was, really had his hands full in Sunset keeping that thing together while getting two, and even all four, off the ground there.

Not the Cadillac I think people were expecting to be on pole. The #7 and #52 had a little more fun in that session than I think they wanted. Saavedra especially was fortunate not to bin it there on the exit of Sunset.

I was glad to see all the Prototypes set times under 1:50.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3808399)   #58
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Already more than a second under last years pole, and i bet we see a 1:46 in qualifying. That is pretty fast compared to the P1 times of yesteryear.
Well i guess conditions weren't as good as in the last practice because the times went up. Pole was 1:47.4 for the Spirit of Daytona Caddy.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 18:13 (Ref:3808408)   #59
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All LMP2s clearly behind the DPis. It was already evident at Daytona either the "balance" team is incompetent (cf. Ford) or it is done intentionally. You can't tell me that it is impossible to BoP the LMP2s to be on par to DPis while the Mazda based on the crappy Riley is within 1 second of pole and half a second faster than the fastest Oreca.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3808412)   #60
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying details:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/va...-sebring-pole/

And results:

http://results.imsa.com/Results/18_2...by%20Class.PDF
Old 16 Mar 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3808413)   #61
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
LMP2s would be as fast or faster if they were on Michelin or Dunlop rubber. The DPI cars have the advantage of either bigger engines (Cadillac) or forced induction (Nissan, Acura and Mazda). Not to mention that all of those programs are OEM-backed to one degree or another.

However, this result does clash with IMSA allegedly wanting to BOP the DPIs to the fastest LMP2 chassis. Caveat there, at least in single lap pace, I'd bet that an all-pro driver line up, professionally run LMP2 would be roughly on pace. If not, given those conditions, then I'd be worried.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 19:19 (Ref:3808417)   #62
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
This is awesome from Magnus

Check out @MagnusRacing’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MagnusRacing/sta...581566976?s=09
Old 16 Mar 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3808426)   #63
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMW on pole after complaining about BOP 🙄
Old 16 Mar 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3808429)   #64
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It's actually a 300 acre muck fire nearby!
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...-acre-wildfire
Old 16 Mar 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3808433)   #65
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both Mazda’s sent to the back of the P grid for “accidentally” taping seams in the bodywork. The whole team is a joke.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3808434)   #66
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Both Mazda’s sent to the back of the P grid for “accidentally” taping seams in the bodywork. The whole team is a joke.
Hey it's a plausible story. Like the time I accidentally drank a bottle of bourbon. Lol.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3808435)   #67
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe it was the Audi not the Joest part after all..
Old 16 Mar 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3808436)   #68
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
IMO, shows how micromanaged BOP and everything is in DPI/IMSA now. It's almost as bad as NASCAR, but then again, IMSA's majority owner is also a big stakeholder in NASCAR...

Also, even when Joest ran their program, Audi Sport has the final say in anything that went on with their cars, and Audi never taped up bodywork seems in their cars, be it the first R8s to the last R18s.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 21:53 (Ref:3808437)   #69
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's believed the Joest team errantly followed a seam-taping practice that is allowed in the FIA WEC, the last series where it participated prior to taking over Mazda's WeatherTech Championship program.
Ugh...
Old 17 Mar 2018, 00:19 (Ref:3808450)   #70
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More on the story here:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14810...f-sebring-grid
Old 17 Mar 2018, 00:29 (Ref:3808452)   #71
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Ugh...
And even then Joest hardly ever did such a practice on any of the Audi LMP900/LMP1 cars, probably on the advice/insistence of Audi Sport.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 03:36 (Ref:3808461)   #72
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm so glad speedsource is still here to provide entertainment.

Everything looks beautiful down there and the racing looks like it will be great. Unfortunately life will get in the way for me and I will likely have to wait for it to be uploaded by imsa to watch later in the week. Someday soon I will be back there in person. Other than BMW all of a sudden being on pole, imsa looks to have done a fantastic job making this a really good and legit series.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3808472)   #73
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Going to ask ahead of time, since FS1 only shows the first couple hours, where can I watch the rest of the race (if I can't get fs2)?
Old 17 Mar 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3808503)   #74
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Going to ask ahead of time, since FS1 only shows the first couple hours, where can I watch the rest of the race (if I can't get fs2)?
It seems if you have access to FS1, you can still watch the FS2 portions on FSGo. Either that, or the numerous people I've encountered who've done so were just glitches on FSGo's end. In other words, give it a try.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3808512)   #75
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlTFoTlCn0

I was just about to post this.