Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 May 2003, 18:46 (Ref:592687)   #1
Mark Morrison
Rookie

Mark Morrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
m8f (gtd)

My name is Mark Morrison. I help out with a vintage race team. 69 and 67 corvetts,trans-am cars.One of the owners has been restoring a mclaren m8f.The car has a chassis that was made by (GTD) in England it is a space frame. the body from what we understand is from the orignal race team.The car now has a very high hp small block chev. The first race we tore the hubs out of the wheels.The car is now being refitted with all new suspension,new hewland trans.Work is being done by Harlod Drinkwater in Montery Calif. I was just wondering if anybody outthere new of any history on this car.How owend it.built it or raced it at what tracks.Thank you Mark
Old 7 May 2003, 20:08 (Ref:592776)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Hard to say exactly which car they may have.

It is either M8F-1 or M8F-2.

From whom was the car purchased from, and when? Do you know who any of the previous owners are? If you can peg the owner as of 99', I can tell you which car it was. These cars were built by Reynolds.

All other cars (5?) were built by Trojan, and not factory cars. Another issue is that there are currently two or three times the number ever built in circulation. At times people would take a complete car, send the engine in one direction, build a car around it, call it original, and do the same with the chassis.

GTD as far as I know is a maker of kitcars, primarily GT40's...

Last edited by Fogelhund; 7 May 2003 at 20:14.
Old 7 May 2003, 22:03 (Ref:592951)   #3
Mark Morrison
Rookie

Mark Morrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the reply.All that I know is that the car was driven by Simon Osbourne and Robin Batt. It was at Brighton speed trials and some hill climbs in Germany
Old 8 May 2003, 00:21 (Ref:593027)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The real M8F's are all in a registry. The owner would know the serial number and which one it was. If not, well
Old 8 May 2003, 05:22 (Ref:593087)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the M8F was monococque not spaceframe which would make this a replica - presumably by GTD who were liquidated last year
Old 9 May 2003, 06:30 (Ref:594186)   #6
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark
I have a magazine article on the GTD 8F, it's in Kit Car International Feb 1993. The photos show that has a monocoque.The text says the monocoque is made out of 14 guage aluminium sheet, it also state that the suspension "is standard suspension assemblies at either end" (to use their words), GTD40. The engine is a Ford 5L fitted with a Renault 30 5 speed gearbox.
Apparently the car was built to accomodate the body which Simon Osborne saw advertised.
If you want a copy of magazine article email me through this site and I will gladly send you a copy.
I had to find magazine before I replied.