Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2011, 04:39 (Ref:2961996)   #1
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Ricciardo

So he's 6 races into his career now, and starting to get the better of Liuzzi, his only real measuring stick. Outqualified him in the past two races, and even finished ahead of him in Singapore with the front wing replacement.

So how do we think he's going? Has he done enough to oust Buemi/Alguersuari (IMO Buemi) at STR next year? The last 5 races will be crucial, but I think he's definitely on the right track.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 04:54 (Ref:2961999)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How could you ever know in that HRT thing...?

He is starting to get the better of Liuzzi in qualifying on a regular basis, and he has had a few decent runs in the races...

But who knows what any of this means? The HRTs are in such a different league, with such a variety of issues that's impossible to truly know how he's going.

I suspect we won't have a reasonable picture until he jumps back in a Red Bull or a Toro Rosso in testing during the off-season.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2962118)   #3
TomVanRompaey
Rookie

Belgium
TomVanRompaey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He surely is in the hotseat to take over from Buemi. Algersuari has shown himself as a racer who can pick up points when missing out on Q2.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2962125)   #4
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I dont get to see much of the HRTs unless they are first car out in qualifying or being lapped. However from the very little I have seen, I rekon he could be worth a spot in the Torro Rosso at some point in the near future.
The difficulty is, which one of the current Torro Rosso drivers do you drop to bring Ricciardo in? JA and SB are both young and both performing at a very similiar level.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2962127)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alguersuari and Buemi entered both often in the points but Jaime has at his expense Spanish sponsorship that would favour to retain him in the team. Thus Buemi is likely to be ousted by Ricciardo in Toro Rosso.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2962207)   #6
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never rated Daniel Ricciardo as much as most, and I still don't, but he's been competent at HRT. Not impressed, not unimpressed. I would have expected more of him in World Series by Renault, personally, and that alone makes me wonder. Unless his team there isn't that good?

I guess what I'm trying to say is nothing at all: I see no reason to do or not do anything with him next year. I wouldn't be against him getting an STR seat, but I also wonder what happens if Vergne wins the WSR title...
Old 28 Sep 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2962211)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
I never rated Daniel Ricciardo as much as most, and I still don't, but he's been competent at HRT. Not impressed, not unimpressed. I would have expected more of him in World Series by Renault, personally, and that alone makes me wonder. Unless his team there isn't that good?

I guess what I'm trying to say is nothing at all: I see no reason to do or not do anything with him next year. I wouldn't be against him getting an STR seat, but I also wonder what happens if Vergne wins the WSR title...
my thoughts exactly - i actually think vergne is a better all round driver. he's certainly more eloquent and interesting when he's not being asked awkward questions he can't answer about red bull. he also hasn't stitched himself up in the same way that ricciardo has done at least once a season.

there's nothing wrong with isr, they nearly won the title last year and if anyone's going to suggest that ricciardo isn't as competant as esteban guerrieri (who in that very drive, took it to carlin's aleshin and ricciardo at tech1) then well, that's an interesting thought. i just don't think ricciardo's heart was in it - he didn't have a genuine opportunity to win the title once it became clear he'd be missing at least 2 of the 9 events for f1 obligations. then again, if we take guerrieri last year, he missed 3 races (monaco and hungary) and still went at it like his life depended on it...

wickens is a fantastic driver, and if he took the title he'd richly deserve it too, but i really want vergne to win purely to see what red bull are going to do too.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2962251)   #8
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course, if STR are bought over goodness knows who will be in those seats next year.

But assuming it is still the Red Bull junior team, it will probably be Alguersuari and Ricciardo with Vergne keeping them both on their toes.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2962378)   #9
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
- he didn't have a genuine opportunity to win the title once it became clear he'd be missing at least 2 of the 9 events for f1 obligations...
That is a point that most people miss. It is a concern of mine that he isnt so hungry for results that he get out there and win every race he was entered in to prove he is the pick of the litter and worthy of the STR Friday testing and HRT race seat.

But, nothing is ever that easy in competitive motorsport and i think missing rounds, driving for two F1 teams in 2011....well WSR was always going to take a back seat and not be his main focus when away from the track...something no doubt it was for the others

Re his form at HRT...the car simply isnt reliable enough to tell. He has outqualified Luizzi, but with the cars being what they are you just dont know if its the driver or a small gremlin with the car. Indeed over a race distance if you pay attention to their respective lap times it seems Dan is generally on a better pace then Luizzi, but with so many cars lapping them and affecting their pace even this is difficult to confirm.

So from his year, I think all you can really take from it is he hasnt made any silly mistakes and binned or looped the HRT. His race pace is improving with experience in traffic management.

The biggest indicator for me was his Friday testing performances in the STR. For a tyre that is meant to be difficult to turn on and get endurance from, his pace over a single lap and over a long run was very good compared to the other car. So he definitely hasnt thrown away the opportunity, it seems he is doing everything expected of him...but it would be nice to see him be the first HRT driver to take it to the Virgins like he almost did in Singapore...that will start to prove his pace and race craft over Luizzi
Old 29 Sep 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2962449)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
That is a point that most people miss. It is a concern of mine that he isnt so hungry for results that he get out there and win every race he was entered in to prove he is the pick of the litter and worthy of the STR Friday testing and HRT race seat.
this is something that worries me too. silverstone race 2 in 2010 he wasn't aware enough of the race around him to notice he was being hunted down, and duly lost the lead. he said afterwards that he didn't really know what had happened. there was nothing wrong with the car, or the tyres he'd had replaced in the pitstop, but he lost a substantial lead. actually i think part of the problem there was that he was too honest in the post-race press conference - he could have easily made something up and nobody would have noticed!

he's put in some very classy performances, and no doubt is a very quick driver but sometimes... you wonder. in a way he was lucky that vergne's fr3.5 drive fell through last year because the pace that vergne showed in testing and at the other end of the season when he replaced hartley was very impressive. in that respect, and certainly looking at the situation red bull have on their hands now, you can see why they chose to say "thanks, but no" to hartley.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2962894)   #11
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he will make a very nice replacement for Webber as a solid number 2.
I think he is a journeyman but no superstar.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2963195)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
He's going to have to have a very good season with Toro Rosso next year (assuming that's how it goes) if he's going to be #2 at Red Bull in 2013.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2963268)   #13
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Journeyman? Thats a pretty early call

He seems to be a pretty chilled guy who hasnt been schooled into being a cold media machine. So maybe by association to such a relaxed public face I am thinking he isnt the single minded robot you almost need to be to have success over an F1 season

At the moment I suspect he could be more of a Montoya type driver with amazing turns of speed every now and then...but lacking the pace over a season.

I still think we need to see more of him in a better race car.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 01:53 (Ref:2963310)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think all Seb's team mates from now on are destined to be either a solid journeymen, slow, or erratic!
Old 1 Oct 2011, 02:06 (Ref:2963313)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

It is way to early to say....

I have an idea put yourself in his place and then read your post about yourself..
Old 1 Oct 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2963384)   #16
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post

I think if Riccardo was out of the Red Bull program, he'd be doing much better this year. As it is, he's been pulled in all kinds of directions, and had to relearn cars all year, and even though it might only take a lap or so in the car, trying to relearn the competition every week might hurt his results as well. Of course, being in Red Bull is probably the reason he is where he is.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 11:32 (Ref:2963385)   #17
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

He seems to be a pretty chilled guy who hasnt been schooled into being a cold media machine. So maybe by association to such a relaxed public face I am thinking he isnt the single minded robot you almost need to be to have success over an F1 season

At the moment I suspect he could be more of a Montoya type driver with amazing turns of speed every now and then...but lacking the pace over a season.

Some seem to think the opposite because he isn't the spitting image of @AussieGrit. I agree with you, though.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2965490)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Not the right driver example there. JPM went as fast as his car allowed every season he was in it apart from when injured. When the car allowed he was usually always in contention for poles and wins.

Trulli or Frentzen would be better choices for hot and cold merchants in their pomp.

Ricciardo does need better exquipment before we can properly judge as you rightly say though. His pace in the STR and Red Bulls pre season illustrated he's quick but I don't think he's been too fussed in his FR3.5 campaign which may or may not be Red Bull's fault and may have given the wrong impression of him.

The question we ought to be asking is ultimately who has got the better prospects out of Dan and Jean-Eric. I suspect we will be able to answer that by the end of next season.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 02:45 (Ref:2966420)   #19
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

What is significant about next season? I don't see both being in F1, and I certainly don't see them as team mates next season.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2973369)   #20
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Wild Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As some others have said it's difficult to say because the HRT are so bad.

But if he should replace one of the STR's it should be Buemi. Alguersuari have developed a lot this season I think. Maybe Ricciardo and Buemi should change a bit in the STR next year?
Old 30 Oct 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2979114)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Finished behind karthikeyan. Yes he had one more pit stop, but he has more car/race experience of late so if he wants to be taken seriously in F1 then that shouldn't be happening.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2979146)   #22
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Finished behind karthikeyan. Yes he had one more pit stop, but he has more car/race experience of late so if he wants to be taken seriously in F1 then that shouldn't be happening.
So making an extra, unscheduled pitstop shouldn't be happening? I agree. He outpaced Karthikeyan handsomely in the first stint, which is much as you'd expect.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2979149)   #23
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His car wasn't right during the second stint either apparently. Either way as MCWB said he was over half a second a lap faster in the first, and also didn't tip Trulli in to a spin either.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2979183)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
So making an extra, unscheduled pitstop shouldn't be happening? I agree. He outpaced Karthikeyan handsomely in the first stint, which is much as you'd expect.
Vettel could have made an unscheduled pitstop and still finished agead of Webber

My point remains though, if he wants to get on in F1 he needs to be beating a driver like Karthikeyan comfortably, and doing enough in case something goes wrong. Had he finished behind Liuzzi, then ok - acceptable, but not Narain.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2979196)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'd put it the other way around. Narain did really well to be so close to him in qualifying and to beat him in the race, regardless of other factors.