Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 13 Jan 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3702391)   #126
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to chear the snowless,had around 6inchesvof the stuff here today.More forecast for tonight, Sat&Sun.Been absolutely beautiful this afternoon,warm brilliant sunshine.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3702412)   #127
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
How much of the white stuff do you require, Peter? I could arrange a couple of truck loads for you from my front garden within the hour; a bit longer for the rest from the back, but could be done with a bit of notice!
Actually my grandson is desperate to build a snowman so a truck load would be very welcome - thanks Mike.
FOC C&F York area OK?
Old 13 Jan 2017, 23:52 (Ref:3702447)   #128
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Theres a man who knows the ropes
Usual time Gordon,Deer,Wildboar etal arevstill about so its the best time to see them.
Subsistence hunting? - times must be hard !
Old 14 Jan 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3702469)   #129
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only shoot them with a camera.Hard times?Hardly so.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 06:49 (Ref:3702472)   #130
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!

This is supposed to be a serious thread...
Old 14 Jan 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3702477)   #131
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just for bauble- my grandparents abode had a Victorian ice house hidden under some trees in the garden, and the mention of 'a truck load' above reminded me that during the winter snow and ice from wherever would have to be bought in by horse and cart to be stored for the summer. Nice little earner for someone!
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3702494)   #132
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
We had more heavy snow in London overnight, not sure we'll be able to get the car off the drive now.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-01-14 08.29.59.jpg  
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3702497)   #133
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yeasaaas even I'm checking my spelling . Clear off you laughts
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3702504)   #134
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Sorry - thought I was in Tea Break; feel free to move !
Old 14 Jan 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3702513)   #135
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
We had more heavy snow in London overnight, not sure we'll be able to get the car off the drive now.
Good job it's a Saturday and kids aren't at school- they'd be closed!
Old 14 Jan 2017, 13:16 (Ref:3702522)   #136
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post

I assume most of it has drifted against people's front doors so they are unable to leave the house?
Old 14 Jan 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3702545)   #137
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've just had 20cm of the white stuff fall in no time !!!

Belated Happy New Year to all that do & don't know me.
Attached Thumbnails
20cm snow.jpg  
Old 14 Jan 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3702562)   #138
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
We've just had 20cm of the white stuff fall in no time !!!

Belated Happy New Year to all that do & don't know me.
That's cheating!

Happy New Year to you, and hopefully catch up somewhere a bit warmer during the season!
Old 14 Jan 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3702590)   #139
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The perils of local accents and .... well, what? Voice recognition?

For some reason a local BBC web site in Yorkshire has and item from a Keighley paper about a young man working as a Merchant Seaman who, at the age of 17, was promoted and then shortly after killed after a U-Boat attach. This article is from 1917 so presumably something to do with "this day a hundred years ago"?

The article headline is:

Keighley merchant seaman dies in submarine attack soon after promotion

There is a photo of the young man and then the caption which reads:

"John Sawyer Gostling, from Keighley, who died when the SS Elve was attacked by you bought in 1917".

http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/1...otion/?ref=rss
Old 14 Jan 2017, 20:46 (Ref:3702593)   #140
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I seem to have missed that Sir Stirling Moss has been in hospital with pneumonia since before Christmas, am I out of touch or did it not make the news?
Old 14 Jan 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3702594)   #141
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think it only just hit the news for some reason.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 21:08 (Ref:3702600)   #142
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38624865

Guess sparked off by the family statement issued.

Get well soon, Sir!
Old 14 Jan 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3702606)   #143
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The perils of local accents and .... well, what? Voice recognition?

For some reason a local BBC web site in Yorkshire has and item from a Keighley paper about a young man working as a Merchant Seaman who, at the age of 17, was promoted and then shortly after killed after a U-Boat attach. This article is from 1917 so presumably something to do with "this day a hundred years ago"?

The article headline is:

Keighley merchant seaman dies in submarine attack soon after promotion

There is a photo of the young man and then the caption which reads:

"John Sawyer Gostling, from Keighley, who died when the SS Elve was attacked by you bought in 1917".

http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/1...otion/?ref=rss
That's hilarious! The perils of predictive spell checkers, presumably.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 06:28 (Ref:3702678)   #144
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Wa had an embarrassing moment with our quite new ex prime minister. Visiting Tunisia he wanted to express himself in the local language. May be because his roots are in Spain, he misspoke the government's leader name. Which could have been an insult if everybody wasn't laughing at …
Old 15 Jan 2017, 06:46 (Ref:3702680)   #145
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah the pitfalls of language. JFK famously called himself a bun. Here in Albania the term automobile should always be used instead of "car". Go to Google translate to find out why.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 07:29 (Ref:3702681)   #146
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The joys / pitfalls of language indeed.

Toyota MR2 in French, anyone? What was the car renamed there- was it just 'MR' Gerard?
Old 15 Jan 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3702684)   #147
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sure Mike! When pronounced it gives something like A.. H..e !
Peter, are you a Jeremy Clarkson fan? He did a lot for this country…

Last edited by Gerard C; 15 Jan 2017 at 08:27. Reason: spelling! me too …
Old 15 Jan 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3702685)   #148
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
In the bike field you can find that when Japanese had proudly their new bike released to the press in the US they had quite a moment… A local reporter was happy to bring an hilarious comment: "So, you have a Big One now? "
Slightly irritated, one of the responsible had all the liflets changed and the side emblems too. Quickly. But still you can buy a CB 1000 over there!
Same thing happened to Mitsu with the Pajero, they changed the name in all Spanish talking regions.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3702686)   #149
L-G Sjöberg
Racer

L-G Sjöberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The joys / pitfalls of language indeed.

Toyota MR2 in French, anyone? What was the car renamed there- was it just 'MR' Gerard?
I think if was for the same reason that Brabham changed the name of his first Formula Junior from MRD into Brabham.
Old 15 Jan 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3702688)   #150
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Great L-G Sjöberg new for me!
This word is sometimes attributed to french General Cambronne (according to V Hugo). The "5 letters word" could have been "sent" to the Brit General Charles Colleville who had the French troops cornered. Who knows… There had so many "papers" about this!
Closed Thread