Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Feb 2004, 23:52 (Ref:868940)   #26
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP Racer,

I don't think there is much likelyhood of any chinks in their armour, more like a 'bad day at the office'.

We all get them.

If BAR get into the top three this year old chum, I will most definately buy you a drink and be happy for you.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 00:02 (Ref:868945)   #27
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see BAR get to #3, just so I can come to Devon, and have you buy me a fine pint or two Pitstop.

Hell, even if BAR doesn't get to #3, I'd still like to get to Devon and have you buy me a pint or two!

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Feb 2004, 03:51 (Ref:869041)   #28
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't get the continued over optimism regarding McLaren. Last year everyone was confident that the MP19 was going to arrive and destroy all. We basically have three things to go by:
1. McLaren has been fast for the last while.
2. McLaren has struggled a lot in getting their act together for the last year or two.
3. McLaren has now publically said negative things about their car.

Everyone looks at #1 but ignores the fact that no team has always been consistently at the top. Competition is stiffer than ever why is it inconceivable that they've dropped back relative to their competition? Williams is typically strong, but they were slow a few years ago. Why couldn't the same happen to McLaren?

As for #3 why on earth would they sandbag? What are the gains? Do the sponsors pay to be associated with a team that says "we're not doing so well?"

Point is I'm not saying McLaren will certainly be slow, but I don't understand how people can repeatedly insist that they will certainly be fast.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 09:35 (Ref:869211)   #29
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember, the period where Williams was slow was primarily down to the transition of Renault, or rather ex-Renault,engines to BMW. They really grew on from there.

Secondly, I agree that every team had it's ups and downs. And its precisely that which makes me think Mclaren really would have regained their edge. They have been on a dip post-Mika, and a few unfortunate events coupled with moving to their new base and the integration of Ilmor/Mclaren/Mercedes, really kind of threw them off foot. Now however, is really time Mclaren would have pulled everything back, when things look so favourable.

Nobody can "insist that they will be CERTAINLY fast", but it'd be real dumb of anybody to underestimate the opposition, especially if the team in question is Mclaren with Ron at the head. Call it faith, call it respect, i don't think Mclaren's struggling as bad as they make it seem.
Old 10 Feb 2004, 11:50 (Ref:869342)   #30
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that sandbagging in F1 is about as futile as thinking that the opposition will fall for it.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 10 Feb 2004, 12:28 (Ref:869412)   #31
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But at least it doesnt provide the direct competitors any realistic/direct competition.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 21:31 (Ref:871215)   #32
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why a 2003 rear wing???

Looking at the pictures from testing in Jerez today, Kimi is running with a 2003 spec wing... I wonder why McLaren would be doing that?? The pictures I'm talking about are on page 4 of the testing photos. On page 2 (pics taken yesterday), DC has a 2004 spec wing...

I have no idea if there is anything to read into this, but I found it interesting...

Old 11 Feb 2004, 21:38 (Ref:871225)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Today Kimi did 95 laps and DC 96 with no reliability problems.

They said after Barcelona they'd have solutions to the problems and it looks like they do.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 05:07 (Ref:871482)   #34
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what about the speed thing?

Are McLaren usually ones to sandbag?
Old 12 Feb 2004, 09:12 (Ref:871601)   #35
Gt_R
Veteran

Let's just say they reserve the right to not unleash their fullest potential.

Mclaren's a seriously great team, and they had some of the best people/brains in the sports... unlikely they'd be not at the top. If they can make the MP4-17 into a "D" spec capable of challenging the new Williams, what's stopping them to go even quicker with a brand new car?
Old 12 Feb 2004, 22:05 (Ref:872473)   #36
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
109 reliable laps from Kimi today - and similar pace to Williams.

Looking better all the time....
Old 13 Feb 2004, 00:06 (Ref:872601)   #37
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is the car isn't two seconds faster than everything else!
Old 13 Feb 2004, 17:41 (Ref:873390)   #38
Kicking-back
Veteran

Alex Wurz today had what he called "good runs" in the MP4-19 at Jerez, and Pedro de la Rosa put another 90-odd laps on the car.

The reliability problems today were on an experimental version of the car - not the specification which will go to Melbourne.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 18:20 (Ref:873430)   #39
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new Ferrari isn't exactly setting the time sheets on fire either. Does that mean Ferrari are also doomed in 2004? Not likely. There's nothing else to talk about, so might as well spout off all this dribble. Let's wait till Round 1 in Oz to see what's really what.