Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Will Lada be in the WTCC in 2008?
Yes! (Send for my psychiatrist!) 1 2.94%
No! (I'm sane) 14 41.18%
It's not an ordinary rabbit, it's a killer! 7 20.59%
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy! 6 17.65%
I'm not sure - why am I bothering to vote then? oh, what's the point in anything - I'm so depressed 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Apr 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2187307)   #101
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I keep looking at those pics and trying to figure out what's wrong - I think its the wheels. They don't seem to fit in the wheelarches, almost as if they've been stuck on as an afterthought (the wheelarches that is). Looks like it has the aerodynamic quality of a brick, but its nice to see variety.

If its not too disastrous, with any luck Lada might come back in a full capacity with Renault's help.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2187319)   #102
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJB
If its not too disastrous, with any luck Lada might come back in a full capacity with Renault's help.
That'd surprise me considering Lada is owned by GM
Old 26 Apr 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2187371)   #103
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJB
I keep looking at those pics and trying to figure out what's wrong - I think its the wheels. They don't seem to fit in the wheelarches
I think the second picture is deceptive. The car is obviously braking hard for a tight right hand corner. The large gap between the wheels and the arches is a result of body-roll. From the first picture the wheels look exactly as I'd expect.

Quote:
Looks like it has the aerodynamic quality of a brick
It's not a pretty car, I'll give you that, but it doesn't look worse than any other 3-box saloon.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2187375)   #104
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Wasn't Colin Turkington unable to score points at Brands last year due to the gearbox?
exactly... that was the handicap!!

but you still remember his car/sponsors, don't you??

If people want to try new cars, within reason, the WTCC folks would like to let them.. as long as it doesn't f*ck up the Championship...
Old 26 Apr 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2187378)   #105
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With an inexperienced team and driver combo, the Lada is not likely to rock the establishment, is it?

Imagine it run by a team with strong engineering (WSR, n.technology, RML) and top flight drivers aboard and then we'd have some idea of where it might REALLY get to...

However, it seems to have got further than the Briliance project...

Looking forward to brushing up my Russian in Valencia...
Old 26 Apr 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2187429)   #106
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't understand Van Lagen Martin, he's earned his merits and is considered to be a very good allround driver, comparable with the likes of Jeroen Bleekemolen for example.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2187457)   #107
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hey, if the salary is right, I'm sure he can survive, and even enjoy, trying to beat out a few privateer BMWs while providing a major boost to the Russian teams efforts/progress.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2187510)   #108
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
That'd surprise me considering Lada is owned by GM
Not true. Lada isn't and has never been owned by GM. AvtoVAZ and GM however have a joint company GM-AvtoVAZ that makes 2nd generation Niva offroader as Chevy Niva and old Opel Astra as Chevy Viva.

Renault bought about one third of AvtoVAZ recently.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2187516)   #109
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
Not true. Lada isn't and has never been owned by GM. AvtoVAZ and GM however have a joint company GM-AvtoVAZ that makes 2nd generation Niva offroader as Chevy Niva and old Opel Astra as Chevy Viva.
So that explains the Vauxhall engine, right?

E : Never underestimate Jaap van Laagen. Whilst his team-mate is a blatant pay driver, JvL could get some good results ...
Old 26 Apr 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2187521)   #110
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker

Renault bought about one third of AvtoVAZ recently.
Ah, I stand corrected. I thought GM had bought into Lada bigtime, guess I got confused on the who owns who in carland

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
E : Never underestimate Jaap van Laagen. Whilst his team-mate is a blatant pay driver, JvL could get some good results ...
Pay driver, thats quite a term for the owner and sole financer of the team
Old 26 Apr 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2187532)   #111
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
I think a big problem with finding any good Russian drivers comes from the fact that they don't really have many decent tracks where they can develop much above karting. Why we don't see them in WRC I can't explain though, because they get daily off-road practice bumping around on their normal roads.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2187543)   #112
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll soon see - I hope they aren't far off the pace, but even if the car had promise, I wouldn't imagine Russian Bears are exactly a crack outfit anyway.

Last edited by OJB; 26 Apr 2008 at 16:56.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2187551)   #113
100%hondafan
Racer

England
Northampton
100%hondafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they where ment to be at the valencia test but they never showed up any ideas ???

no news on them being there so i doubt they will be at valencia maybe later in the year ?

there not as bad of an outfit as you think got some good people working there.
Old 26 Apr 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2187555)   #114
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Er, they did do a test at Zandvoort recently, so I think they will be there at Valencia
Old 26 Apr 2008, 22:43 (Ref:2187720)   #115
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are based in Holland, so Zandvoort was a logical track for the cars first outing. Although Assen is even closer to their homebase/
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2188505)   #116
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Video of the Lada testing at Zandvoort:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2220
Old 27 Apr 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2188692)   #117
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know what to say really . It's one of the ugliest S2000 cars so far but that kind of makes it look bad ass :P . It's a fun element in WTCC 2008, that's all. I always have a soft spot to support underdogs, so this will be fun .
Old 28 Apr 2008, 01:36 (Ref:2188752)   #118
Blitzer
Rookie

Germany
Blitzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
I think a big problem with finding any good Russian drivers comes from the fact that they don't really have many decent tracks where they can develop much above karting.
Vitaly Petrov is former russian Lada Cup and F1600 champion and is doing very well in international level - finished third in GP2 Asia, ahead of many F1 test drivers.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 04:20 (Ref:2188805)   #119
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Well the car made it out onto the track for testing so its a start.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2188868)   #120
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzer
Vitaly Petrov
So we can name 1 guy out of 160million livling in the greatest country on the globe, that sort of proves the point I was trying to make, no?

An interesting fact about him is also that he was born in Vyborg, 38km from todays Finnish border in an area that was latest annexed by the Russians in 1944. So a patriotic Finn might call him Karelian/Finnish, a country whose 5million inhabitants somehow manage to litter the world of motorsports with great drivers.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2188933)   #121
Zamppa
Rookie

Finland
Hellsink
Zamppa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettersson
Don't know what to say really . It's one of the ugliest S2000 cars so far but that kind of makes it look bad ass :P . It's a fun element in WTCC 2008, that's all. I always have a soft spot to support underdogs, so this will be fun .
It doesn't look that shabby. By far and away better looking than that pig of a Seat they have.

I agree on the underdog factor, tho. And variety is always good.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2188971)   #122
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
Although Assen is even closer to their homebase/
Zandvoort for comparing times with wtcc Times.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2188995)   #123
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So we can name 1 guy out of 160million livling in the greatest country on the globe, that sort of proves the point I was trying to make, no?
There are about ten or more quick russians. But i don't think they want to drive new Lada ("Devil drive Lada" isn't it? ).
Autosport is expensive thing, and russian powers don't want to spend their money such way - see history of GP Russia. Also autosport is not so popular as many traditional kind of activities.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2189000)   #124
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An interesting fact about him is also that he was born in Vyborg, 38km from todays Finnish border in an area that was latest annexed by the Russians in 1944. So a patriotic Finn might call him Karelian/Finnish, a country whose 5million inhabitants somehow manage to litter the world of motorsports with great drivers.
Why patriotic Russians don't call finnish driver's compatriot's? Finland was russian province in 1811-1917. Petrov is ethnic russian.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2189045)   #125
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok
Autosport is expensive thing, and russian powers don't want to spend their money such way...
Which includes not building decent tracks to race on in Russia. We are saying the same thing, no?

Quote:
Why patriotic Russians don't call finnish driver's compatriot's? Finland was russian province in 1811-1917.
And until 1809 it was a Swedish province since almost medieval times. Since the Finns "love" of the Swedish is almost as big as the one they have for Russians, I think it's safe to assume they didn't think they belonged to neither of the ruling countries. Also a national treasure in Finland is the bloodstanined shirt of a Russian Tsar assassinated in Helsinki. Maybe that explains why Russians don't think of Finns as compatriots?

Quote:
Petrov is ethnic russian.
Ethnic Russian or Ethnic Karelian?

Last edited by stedevil; 28 Apr 2008 at 11:16.

Tags
wtcc