Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Feb 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2637510)   #26
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Slowsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Post hole diggers. And a jon boat.

I don't remember fire ants at Sebring? Maybe it's because there is a mound the size of a Volkswagen in my backyard.

Word on that. Being a perma-Georgian, I've all but become fond of fire ant bites.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2637672)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Post hole diggers. And a jon boat.

I don't remember fire ants at Sebring? Maybe it's because there is a mound the size of a Volkswagen in my backyard.
i don't recall the ants either, but i do recall seeing the largest dust/trash devil i have ever seen and numerous "projects" involving power tools and post hole diggers.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2637812)   #28
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
i don't recall the ants either, but i do recall seeing the largest dust/trash devil i have ever seen and numerous "projects" involving power tools and post hole diggers.
I was attacked by fire ants during the 2000 race at Sebring, but I saw none last year.
I agree with the previous posters, a scanner or radio to listen to the RLM coverage is a must.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2637840)   #29
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
On the inside of the track , leading down to the sharp right hander , where the hotel is ..... thats where the little feckers live !!!

I thought they were kinda cute , but at that stage I didnt know what they were , I was playing with them on my arm , and then they struck !!!
Old 21 Feb 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2637847)   #30
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
kinda cute

I always, always see them at turn 3/4 viewing mound and down by the hairpin as Badger says. I have been stung while on the inside mound at turn 6 because I was watching the race and a blonde woman from Spyker

She was more then cute.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2637855)   #31
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
kinda cute

I always, always see them at turn 3/4 viewing mound and down by the hairpin as Badger says. I have been stung while on the inside mound at turn 6 because I was watching the race and a blonde woman from Spyker

She was more then cute.
yes, distraction leads to many fire ant bites!
Old 21 Feb 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2637880)   #32
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What do the little feckers do then ..... do they bite , or do they secrete some sort of goop on you that stings ?
Old 21 Feb 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2637897)   #33
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
What do the little feckers do then ..... do they bite , or do they secrete some sort of goop on you that stings ?
They actually sting similar to a bee or wasp. Here

L.P.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2637902)   #34
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Wiki confirms my thought that it is formic acid. Actually, wiki also says ants may comprised 15-25% of the terrestrial animal biomass. Yikes!

Hey Badger, if you want to study them, PM me your address and I will send you a jar, as I can easily collect them in my yard-despite every attempt I have made with various chemicals that have labels that would scare anyone
Old 21 Feb 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2637908)   #35
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
On the inside of the track , leading down to the sharp right hander , where the hotel is ..... thats where the little feckers live !!!

I thought they were kinda cute , but at that stage I didnt know what they were , I was playing with them on my arm , and then they struck !!!
Avoid them at all costs. They are everywhere down south and can be noticed by the light colored low level sandy mounds they have. There have been quite a few times I have hosed people down with water to stop the attack. Once you disturb the mound they go full throttle crazy and don't stop biting. And yes some people die from the bites if they get too many or have an allergic reaction.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2637920)   #36
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wiki confirms my thought that it is formic acid. Actually, wiki also says ants may comprised 15-25% of the terrestrial animal biomass. Yikes!

Hey Badger, if you want to study them, PM me your address and I will send you a jar, as I can easily collect them in my yard-despite every attempt I have made with various chemicals that have labels that would scare anyone
Me first! I use some stuff made by Ortho that works pretty darn good, however, there is a better way. As much as it will make enviromentalist cringe, the best way to get rid of them is gasoline and a match. Fight fire with fire I suppose.

lol, this thread has become quite informative on fire ants. If you don't know what they look like and are going, they are red up front and have black butts. All other ants are harmless as far as I know. In Georgia, they create anything from mounds that are a few inches in diameter to several feet in diameter and nearly a foot tall.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 23:08 (Ref:2637938)   #37
The Badger
Veteran

Nasty little basturds !!!

No thanks skycafe ..... I'll pass on that one but , when next at Sebring I will remember the effing things !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPjfD8ulnpw

Who remembers this then !?!?!?
Old 21 Feb 2010, 23:14 (Ref:2637940)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
anyone living in the South has been attacked by fire ants at some point; it can be quite painful but i find them worse at Road ATL...maybe because i've been there more often.

open toed shoes in the summer, getting bit on a toe or in between your toes is the worst.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 00:14 (Ref:2637975)   #39
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Me first! I use some stuff made by Ortho that works pretty darn good, however, there is a better way. As much as it will make enviromentalist cringe, the best way to get rid of them is gasoline and a match. Fight fire with fire I suppose.

lol, this thread has become quite informative on fire ants. If you don't know what they look like and are going, they are red up front and have black butts. All other ants are harmless as far as I know. In Georgia, they create anything from mounds that are a few inches in diameter to several feet in diameter and nearly a foot tall.
Gasoline is very effective I can vouch for that. And they wont come back either after you have torched their home.

Anybody mention the snakes yet?
Old 22 Feb 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2637979)   #40
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Lots of good info here guys (seriously), so thanks. Reading all of this lights the ANTicipatory FIRE of going. But I spoke too soon about accomidations. They feel through. At this point I'm finding not a single available room in the city. The only one I've found so far is Econo Lodge, but they have a rule starting March 17 (the day I arrive) that they will only book for a 5 night minimum (I'm staying for 4). One hotel was $113 a night the week before and $399 a night the week of! Is that even legal? Looks like I may be staying 30 or so miles away at the moment. That's quite a bit of additional miles added to this treck. But neither hell nor high water will stop this train from rolling in to town.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2637981)   #41
The Badger
Veteran

Ok dude ..... What I did traveling from Europe . I couldnt find any local place either .

I got in contact with the Sebring chamber of commerce , and explained to them my situation . They sent me some local phone numbers , I made a call from Austria to one of these numbers , paid half the rent up front , and arrived and all was well . I didnt have any transport either , which made life a bit painful , but at least I could enjoy a shed full of beer at the track !!!

Hope this info helps you out , it worked for me .
Old 22 Feb 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2637988)   #42
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsley View Post
Lots of good info here guys (seriously), so thanks. Reading all of this lights the ANTicipatory FIRE of going. But I spoke too soon about accomidations. They feel through. At this point I'm finding not a single available room in the city. The only one I've found so far is Econo Lodge, but they have a rule starting March 17 (the day I arrive) that they will only book for a 5 night minimum (I'm staying for 4). One hotel was $113 a night the week before and $399 a night the week of! Is that even legal? Looks like I may be staying 30 or so miles away at the moment. That's quite a bit of additional miles added to this treck. But neither hell nor high water will stop this train from rolling in to town.
What about a condo rental? I remember a lot of condos/vacation rentals in that area.

Quite often when traveling I rent condos or houses and the cost is often way below a hotel. Plus the facilities are better.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 01:06 (Ref:2637996)   #43
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
still think you ought to pay the few bucks and tent camp...but that's just me as i am a camping type of guy.
hope you can find SOME kind of accommodations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Gasoline is very effective I can vouch for that. And they wont come back either after you have torched their home.
with the fires i've seen at Sebring, i'd doubt there are any fire ants left. much more than Gasoline used.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 01:12 (Ref:2637998)   #44
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
But I spoke too soon about accomidations. They fell through. At this point I'm finding not a single available room in the city. The only one I've found so far is Econo Lodge, but they have a rule starting March 17 (the day I arrive) that they will only book for a 5 night minimum (I'm staying for 4). One hotel was $113 a night the week before and $399 a night the week of! Is that even legal? Looks like I may be staying 30 or so miles away at the moment. That's quite a bit of additional miles added to this treck. But neither hell nor high water will stop this train from rolling in to town.
Wecome to race week. Badger and Mountainstar are giving good advice, check with the chamber as people will register house, condo, room.

You can also extend your hotel/motel search out further, but at some point you will get at 60 plus mile radius to save money, but end up spending a lot of time on the road going back and forth, which will be draining---and is not the greatest thing to do after the race is over.

I don't know what vehicle you have, is it possible to sleep in that? Baring that, you can get camping set up for not bad money and camp at the track, where you can fall asleep to a generator five feet from your ear all night long

There are showers at the track, for a fee. You can usually buy ice as vendors roam around selling it. You can find food at the track along the midway and in paddock, if you don't want to add to the camping experiece with a stove.

If two of you in party, I would guess you could do really basic outfitting for camping, basic tent, couple of sleeping bags, and some sundry stuff, for maybe $125 all up?

Do you know anyone that has camping stuff that you could borrow?

It won't kill you, and it will add to the experience!
Old 22 Feb 2010, 01:17 (Ref:2637999)   #45
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
I love the AKA ant thread addition to the thread name
Old 22 Feb 2010, 01:36 (Ref:2638003)   #46
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I love the AKA ant thread addition to the thread name

The Fire Ant Guide

i think i've been bit enough that if i don't scratch them, they go away after a few hours.

this is good...we are going to get Slowsley on his maiden Sebring "adventure" well informed as well as inform people of the adventures of Fire Ants.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 02:45 (Ref:2638021)   #47
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
So, in reality it is the Public Service Thread

Having lived in Central Florida virtually all my life I am not over bothered by the things, I just watch where I go. The bites go away after a bit.

Camping tip, get some ant granual stuff and spread it around before setting the tent...

To me, the biggest challenge at Sebring is the sun, I have to wear a hat because of an ever decreasing amount of hair on top of my head, and there really is not any shade to speak of.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 02:59 (Ref:2638025)   #48
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I would camp. That being said, I always camp. Even if you don't have any gear you can head to Wally World and pick up everything you need for less than a motel would cost. If you arrive early on Thursday you can find a nice interior spot in Green Park, which I prefer if your tent camping for privacy and so that no one drives over your tent at night. Spending the night in Green Park is part of the experience too... some crazy stuff, especially after the race. Plus, you don't have to worry about who is staying sober, those pesky road blocks, etc. Just park your car and leave it for a few days.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 03:26 (Ref:2638034)   #49
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
To me, the biggest challenge at Sebring is the sun......
to some, the biggest challenge at Sebring is knowing when to say when...

let's see....
Fire Ants
Paid Showers
Sun Burn
Drunks
Generators in your ear all night
Risk of getting run over while asleep in your sleeping bag
Torrential Downpours
Fires
what are the chances of getting Slowsley to camp?

looking at the list above, really making me want to tell work to FO and head South for some Green Park Festivities.

...and i hear there is a Race, too.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 03:28 (Ref:2638035)   #50
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Wow, so many camping enthusiasts. I'm just so high mantainance that it would have to be a one night thing max. Plus, being that I'm a twenty-something (read 'broke'), this is more like my yearly vacation rather than a "trip." Basically, I'd like a little "R and R" and maybe a continental breakfast (that would be in the theme of things right?).

On another note, its funny how things work out. As I sat in the rain at PLM alone for 7 hours disgusted, I wondered how I could wait for a whole year to excersise my passion again. Conclusion? Don't wait; go to Sebring. So fear not, I'll be there, happy, sheltered, showered, and hopefully unbitten.