Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2648367)   #1
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
cthib10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OKC Grand Prix?

Just saw on the news Oklahoma City wants to have a race through downtown as soon as next year.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12109433

If this happened I wonder if a race would be taken off the schedule now or if this will just add another race?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2648617)   #2
Blue Rondeau
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, UK
Blue Rondeau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's properly planned there's no reason why this couldn't be a credible extra race on the calendar. It's good too that the ALMS is being talked about, and seen as something 'good' to bring to town.

I'm not sure there's any obvious dead weight on the calendar at the moment that needs replacing, and while there's probably more momentum behind a return to Sears Point and (secretly fingers crossed) Portland tackling a new market in Oklahoma might be a good idea.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 00:35 (Ref:2648622)   #3
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with those who have commented in other threads on this forum that the ALMS needs more races west of the Mississippi. California is the most populous state in the union, so another race out there isn't that bad an idea. The next most populous state out west is Texas. If your not going to have a race in Texas, then get close to Texas, so Oklahoma is not a bad place to go.

DK
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:13 (Ref:2648636)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like Oklahoma and it's one of my favorite states, but usually gets ignored by most due to it's location. Lots of good driving roads, interesting topography and good food. I have not been to downtown OKC for ages but I have heard it has had a bit of a revival. I'd be in favor of a race and would be interested in going as long as it isn't in May thru August. May is tornado season and June to August is hot as hell.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:32 (Ref:2648642)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Layout according to this description.

Longest straight is 1km (5/8 mile) long, next two are 600m (3/8 mile) long.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2648952)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
MS, yes, they have been renewing that old downtown area. Also, access to the area is pretty good, and it's very close to the I-35/I-40 highway interchange (I-44 isn't too far away either). Not to mention, you're in close proximity to the Civic Center (concert venue) and the Ford Center (basketball arena and concert venue). I'll do some checking around, but if Devon Energy is onboard for this, then this effort definitely has some legs to it.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2649133)   #7
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
SeanBlue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The story's been picked up nationwide by USA today now.

Oklahoma City doesn't look that bad actually.

Too bad about all the tornadoes they get
Old 10 Mar 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2649154)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlue View Post

May is the problem month for tornadoes due to the air currents from the Rockies and Gulf colliding. It can still be an issue, but May is the main time to worry about. June to August is oppressively hot, so I hope they look at April or September instead.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2649156)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It could make a nice mid-way stop-off on the way to Long Beach.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2666679)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy the Bear
Oklahoma City Announces History-making Street Race

Promoters in Oklahoma City are planning to host the 50th street race in North American to go out of business. The planned 2011 street race will mark a milestone in motorsports history, as it hopes to become the 50th such motor racing event to go bankrupt.

“We know we can make this another failure if we really try,” stated Oklahoma City GP promoter Larry Enron. “Although every single street race in North America eventually folded, we think being the 50th would be something special.”
That's a mean bear!
Old 4 Apr 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2666813)   #11
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could be an interesting race to see. Do you guys think there's a market for racing in Oklahoma/Texas? Last circuit I heard of in that area outside of NASCAR was the Texas Motor Speedway used by CART and IRL, I think.

The bear ain't polite. There's quite a few street circuits that have survived and strived: Long Beach, Toronto, St. Petes (although, could Oklahoma be substituting St. Pete's?).
I doubt all 'failed' street circuits are because of bankruptcy. They're probably very costly and a lot of other circumstances went into play. I'm sure a large % of the 'failed' street circuits come from CART and IRL, and, not the place to discuss it, but the eventual problems with money also had a lot to do with the problems those championships had.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2666840)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Could be an interesting race to see. Do you guys think there's a market for racing in Oklahoma/Texas? Last circuit I heard of in that area outside of NASCAR was the Texas Motor Speedway used by CART and IRL, I think.

The bear ain't polite. There's quite a few street circuits that have survived and strived: Long Beach, Toronto, St. Petes (although, could Oklahoma be substituting St. Pete's?).
I doubt all 'failed' street circuits are because of bankruptcy. They're probably very costly and a lot of other circumstances went into play. I'm sure a large % of the 'failed' street circuits come from CART and IRL, and, not the place to discuss it, but the eventual problems with money also had a lot to do with the problems those championships had.
Two long term successes, out of probably a hundred failures isn't a good track record. No, many weren't bankruptcies, but simply financial failures. Very few have particularly compelling racing, or viewing points as well.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2666876)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post

Is there a market in that part of the country? I think so and there are plenty of sports car enthusiasts in OK. The one motor racing circuit, Hallett, does a pretty steady business.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 00:55 (Ref:2666881)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I think I can come up with a few more than just two lasting street/temporary circuit events.

1. Adelaide, Australia (1985-95 F1, ALMS 2000, then V8 Supercars)
2. Pau, France (1935-39, 1947-55, 1957-)
3. Guia, Macau (1954-)
4. Trois Rivieres, Canada (1967, 1978-)
5. Monte Carlo, Monaco (1929-)
6. Toronto, Canada (1986-2007, 2009-)
7. Long Beach, USA (1975-)
8. Montjuich Park, Spain (1933-50, 1953-86)
9. Cleveland, USA (1982-2007)
10. Surfer's Paradise , Australia (1991-)
11. Miami, USA (1983-95)
12. Vancouver, Canada (1990-2004)
13. Norisring, Germany (1947-)
14. Detroit, USA (1982-91 Dowtown; 1992-2001, 2007-08 Belle Isle)
15. Diepholz, Germany (1968-98)
16. Montreal, Canada (1978-)
17. Albert Park, Australia (1996-, no more F1 sanction would help solvency)
18. Wunstorf, Germany (1975-)
19. Brno, Czech Republic (1930-86)
20. AVUS, Germany (1921-39, 1951-98)

OKC makes reasonable sense geographically. There isn't a major permanent road course to go to in Oklahoma or Texas. ALMS did use the TMS "roval" on two occasions, but I don't see that happening again, and nobody seems too keen on the TWS "roval" either. Hallett sure as heck isn't up to code, and ALMS would probably want upgrades at Heartland Park to go there. OKC puts you four hours, or less, from Tulsa, Wichita, Little Rock, and Dallas.

As it stands right now, if you're on the plains, and east of Colorado, it probably makes more sense to go to Road America or Mid Ohio than to head out to Miller. From where I am, Elkhart Lake is ~700 miles away. Mid Ohio is ~900 miles from here. And Miller is ~1000-1100 miles out by road; you have to jog north at Denver to Cheyenne to get to SLC, because Salt Lake is on I-80, NOT I-70. If you're coming from further south, and trying to make it to Miller, there aren't any big roads that will get you north into Utah really; the Colorado River takes care of that possibility.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2667338)   #15
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
That's a mean bear!
MTB 4/1 article was meant to be an "Aprill Fools" joke. However by the tone of his writing, you can tell he does have an axe to grind.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 03:47 (Ref:2667416)   #16
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think I can come up with a few more than just two lasting street/temporary circuit events.

1. Adelaide, Australia (1985-95 F1, ALMS 2000, then V8 Supercars)
2. Pau, France (1935-39, 1947-55, 1957-)
3. Guia, Macau (1954-)
4. Trois Rivieres, Canada (1967, 1978-)
5. Monte Carlo, Monaco (1929-)
6. Toronto, Canada (1986-2007, 2009-)
7. Long Beach, USA (1975-)
8. Montjuich Park, Spain (1933-50, 1953-86)
9. Cleveland, USA (1982-2007)
10. Surfer's Paradise , Australia (1991-)
11. Miami, USA (1983-95)
12. Vancouver, Canada (1990-2004)
13. Norisring, Germany (1947-)
14. Detroit, USA (1982-91 Dowtown; 1992-2001, 2007-08 Belle Isle)
15. Diepholz, Germany (1968-98)
16. Montreal, Canada (1978-)
17. Albert Park, Australia (1996-, no more F1 sanction would help solvency)
18. Wunstorf, Germany (1975-)
People were referring, at least in my opinion, to Street Circuits in North America. Your list includes three that are still continuing. One is a minor league race. Montreal is for all purposes a permanent track.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 06:52 (Ref:2667440)   #17
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Unfortunately, Wunstorf and Diepholz haven't had any racing since - I think - 2000 and the GP of Pau has been cancelled for 2010.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2670281)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Unfortunate that Pau is off for this year. From what I can tell, Wunstorf was still active at least as recently as 2005.

I think there is demand for a major road racing venue in this part of the country, and heck, even the big ovals are spread a bit thin out here.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2670345)   #19
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Unfortunate that Pau is off for this year. From what I can tell, Wunstorf was still active at least as recently as 2005.
What series? I don't think it's been used since DTM went there in the early 90's, but I could be wrong.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2670388)   #20
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlue View Post

My company is building the Devon Energy Tower, a 900ft building in downtown OKC just off the proposed track. It is one of the larger commercial projects going in the US right now, but it's still a pretty small market. The whole idea kind of suprises me.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 04:21 (Ref:2670405)   #21
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
OKC itself isn't a huge market, but it's well located when you consider the cities within a day's drive going either way along I-35 and I-40.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 02:44 (Ref:2671203)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
And there's no ALMS in the whole Texas.

In addition to IndyCar, Baltimore aims to attract a sports car racing series. They are considering both of them: ALMS and Grand-Am.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 05:26 (Ref:2671218)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
After what happened at Long Beach in 2006, I think some people are rather dubious of GA on street circuits, and that race wasn't even a combined DP & GT event, but rather just the DPs on their own.