Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3754501)   #301
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt that Renault would have confirmed him for the test unless they knew for certain he could beat the time required for the extraction test.

Presumably he has been privately timed getting out of the car that he has been testing. I'm guessing though, that he will have to do it in front of an FIA delegate ahead of any "sanctioned test" to be official. Whether he is in Hungary over the weekend, or before the test begins, it will be done behind a closed garage door.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 18:58 (Ref:3754555)   #302
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this actually an issue? His injuries were something that might effect this, but if he's recovered from those particular injuries enough to drive the thing then I recon he can get in and out. Maybe I've misunderstood what his injuries were?
Old 26 Jul 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3754559)   #303
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, the major injuries were to his right arm, which he now carries at a funny angle, and he uses his left hand to write and to operate paddle shifts (I don't know if he was originally a leftie). So any weakness in one arm could affect his ability to extract himself. But Renault must surely have got him to practise, otherwise what's the point in testing him?
Old 26 Jul 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3754566)   #304
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read he's already passed the extraction tests. There's no road blocks now - purely commercial, I'm sure of it.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 01:29 (Ref:3754596)   #305
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Because, as has been mentioned before, the rules clearly state that points are NOT the ONLY way to receive a license. They can decide he has met their criteria, an unpublished document, and thus is eligible to race.
Like I mentioned above, it is a pedantic question. Yes, I understand there are options beyond the point system. My question was which other method? I am guessing it is 5.1.7(c) from the FIA International Sporting Code Appendix L. To paraphrase... If you had super license more than three years ago, the FIA can look at your situation, make a judgement call and give you one (or not).

Richard
Old 27 Jul 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3754662)   #306
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Is this actually an issue?
Apparently. Some 3 or 4 pages worth.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3754727)   #307
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sauber-Honda Deal Off
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Jul 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3755019)   #308
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Looks like Charles Leclerc is inline for a full time drive at Sauber in 2018(??)
Old 28 Jul 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3755069)   #309
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
With 2018-spec Ferrari engines?
Old 28 Jul 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3755097)   #310
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure if there will be a Ferrari junior driver in the 2nd Sauber alongside Ericsson because in the past it was not the case very often...
Old 28 Jul 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3755099)   #311
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Reading between the lines, taking a Honda protegé (or not) seems to have been one of the factors which caused the original deal to founder.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3755103)   #312
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
I am not sure if there will be a Ferrari junior driver in the 2nd Sauber alongside Ericsson because in the past it was not the case very often...
more of a yes and no type situation imo.

Perez was before he left the program and Giovinazzi for a bit this year.

Massa also but they didnt really have a defined junior program at the time so he only half counts. but both current Ferrari had early stints at Sauber but thats more coincidence really.

i think there is a strong possibility we may see it again...so i guess i would ask who is higher up in the order Giovinazzi or Leclerc?

PW to FI and Perez to Renault then?
Old 28 Jul 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3755141)   #313
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leclerc certainly seems ready for f1 and I think would do well in a sauber. I suspect he's jumped giovanazzi in the queue but I wouldn't want to write him off just for a couple of silly incidents.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3755182)   #314
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Some scandalous rumour in the paddock at Silverstone today that Williams will have Button and Honda power next year! 😲

Back to sensibility... there could be vacancies at Ferrari, Renault, Williams, STR, Sauber and Force One at the end of the year...
Old 29 Jul 2017, 05:21 (Ref:3755278)   #315
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
So Leclerc has been disqualified from quali in Hungary due to an illegal car. This is not good for his reputation, and as the irregularity is handling and performance related, it has put a little bit of doubt in my mind as to his dominating performances so far being 100% fair and square.

Has Prema had assistance from Ferrari on Leclerc's car? It does smell of Ferrari involved somewhere.
Old 29 Jul 2017, 06:35 (Ref:3755284)   #316
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Would be in both cars as Fuoco is Ferrari jr too. Just he's not quick enough to be checked...
Old 29 Jul 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3755285)   #317
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
The latest news from pitlane suggesting McLaren have had another meeting with Renault regarding an engine supply deal. The meeting at Silverstone was a lengthy one apparently.

Also, Honda have approached Toro Rosso regarding a partnership for 2018. In the wake of Fred Vasseur confirming Sauber are renegotiating the Honda supply deal, and the potential divorce from McLaren, Honda are looking for a team to supply engines to for next year. Or face leaving F1.
A bit more on this from Hungary. Toro Rosso could end up being the factory Honda team in 2018 - giving up their Renault engine supply to McLaren. It looks like a engine supply swap could be on the cards.

Currently, the Renault PU is better (and improving) than the Honda engine. Will STR give up the Renault for the Honda?
Old 30 Jul 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3755811)   #318
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
A bit more on this from Hungary. Toro Rosso could end up being the factory Honda team in 2018 - giving up their Renault engine supply to McLaren. It looks like a engine supply swap could be on the cards.

Currently, the Renault PU is better (and improving) than the Honda engine. Will STR give up the Renault for the Honda?
Presumably the free engines, and potential Honda financial support, added to the existing Red Bull backing, would strengthen the technical position of Scuderia Toro Rosso too.

If only they had a different pilot alongside Mr Sainz to kick the development process along.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Jul 2017, 05:59 (Ref:3755818)   #319
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And if Honda does come good then it's an easy switch into the main team.

It's all speculation at the moment though.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3756681)   #320
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Kubica already qualifies for a superlicence under the sub reg's of the sporting code. He doesn't need to do anything else. Adding to this, Kubica has already passed the mandatory FiA driver extraction tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
He hasn't passed the extraction test yet as far as I understand it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I doubt that Renault would have confirmed him for the test unless they knew for certain he could beat the time required for the extraction test.

Presumably he has been privately timed getting out of the car that he has been testing. I'm guessing though, that he will have to do it in front of an FIA delegate ahead of any "sanctioned test" to be official. Whether he is in Hungary over the weekend, or before the test begins, it will be done behind a closed garage door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I've read he's already passed the extraction tests. There's no road blocks now - purely commercial, I'm sure of it.
Extraction test has now been passed in front of FIA official at Budapest: Go Robert!!
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3756703)   #321
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What a story to come back from this setback and drive a modern F1 car at speed
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3756705)   #322
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Extraction test has now been passed in front of FIA official at Budapest: Go Robert!!
So Kubica has shown he can get out of the Renault cockpit within the allotted time. Will Renault manage to do the same to Palmer.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3756723)   #323
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
So Kubica has shown he can get out of the Renault cockpit within the allotted time. Will Renault manage to do the same to Palmer.
nice turn of phrase there!

off topic question though...why is the self extraction test so important?

if a driver is injured in their car then surely they wont be able to get out on their own anyways.

and when the driver is uninjured (just a regular off) surely the FIA/Marshal response should be exactly the same as if it was a more serious incident...get to the driver and car as quickly as possible to assess and aid with the situation.

so really how important is it to hit this 5sec benchmark in a controlled setting?

anyways, im glad he passed but would have been quite irritated if this was the reason he couldn't pursue a comeback.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3756725)   #324
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so really how important is it to hit this 5sec benchmark in a controlled setting?
It's not an accident procedure, but part of the protection protocol for F1 drivers in the event of fire. Which could happen regardless of whether the vehicle had had an impact or not.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3756727)   #325
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It's not an accident procedure, but part of the protection protocol for F1 drivers in the event of fire. Which could happen regardless of whether the vehicle had had an impact or not.
fair fair...even with no refueling we have seen a few engine fires in the last couple of years so a legitimate concern. thanks for the answer.