Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 20 Nov 2007, 03:56 (Ref:2071410)   #1
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wrigley's to co-sponsor Montoya next year

This is good news since this will mean additional $$$$ for Ganassi Racing as the team tries to take the step forward to become a top-tier team once again.

Quote:
HOMESTEAD, Fla. - Wrigley's and Texaco/Havoline will share the primary sponsorship of the Chip Ganassi Racing No. 42 Sprint Cup Dodge and driver Juan Pablo Montoya next season.

Each company will be the primary for 18 races, with Wrigley's primarily using the car to promote its Big Red brand.
Quote:
"I am extremely excited about bringing together worldwide brands like Wrigley and Texaco/Havoline," said team owner Chip Ganassi. "We have had the great fortune to have relationships with some great sponsors over the years and I can honestly say that I am proud our organization is associated with these two companies. I think their brands fit perfectly with Juan's global appeal."
Quote:
"After a successful first season as a team and driver sponsor, we are pleased to continue Wrigley's relationship with Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, excited by the team's commitment to excellence and impressed by Juan Pablo's on-track performance during his rookie year in NASCAR," said Paul Chibe, Wrigley's Vice President of U.S. Marketing. "We recognize Juan's potential in NASCAR and this increased role creates more opportunities for fans to interact with some of America's favorite chewing gums brands."
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/20..._daily435.html

In related news, Ganassi Racing is using JPM's global popularity to go after international sponsors.

Quote:
Lauletta said negotiations are ongoing to bring international sponsors aboard. He said the organization has talked to companies in Spain, Germany, Dubai and England about sponsorship and personal service agreements.
Quote:
''We can go after companies that other teams can't because we have a global personality in Juan,'' Lauletta said. ``Now our challenge is how do we put plans together to take this year one and really leverage it here with the NASCAR series in the U.S. and globally.''
http://www.thatsracin.com/nascar_news/story/9301.html

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 20 Nov 2007, 07:04 (Ref:2071457)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
if I remember correctly, Wigleys ran sponsorship for JPM this year. full car for a couple of races with Big Red and some smaller branding on the rear fender
Old 20 Nov 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2071699)   #3
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yea ive got a screen saver with his car on it
Old 20 Nov 2007, 16:03 (Ref:2071789)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, he ran it at a few races this year plus the Busch race at The Glen, but this is an equal 18 race split for each sponsor.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 21:05 (Ref:2071992)   #5
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds also like that JPM may potentially race in other Wrigley's brands from time to time in 2008 as well from the wording of that announcement. Don't know though if it means more money for Ganassi or whether Texaco were just cutting back their funding.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 00:52 (Ref:2072148)   #6
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but last year Wrigley's was just an associate sponsor that happened to been on the hood a few times, a la Nicorette or Pepsi for the #24. Next year it will be a full co-sponsor. It had to pony up more $$$$ to get this higher level of exposure.

Good point. Perhaps Texaco is cutting back on its funding but I doubt it. Texaco has been in NASCAR for at least 20+ years so I don't see why, at a time of record profits for the oil industry no less, that it would reduce its sponsorship of a team that is on the upswing (Texaco stuck with RYR during the mediocrity of the 1998-1999 Kenny Irwin era and then the second-tier McMurray/Mears years of 2003-2006). Co-sponsorship just seems to be another new trend in NASCAR.

Old 21 Nov 2007, 03:27 (Ref:2072207)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually didn't know Big Red was a chewing gum, I thought it was tomato sauce....

I guess it's good for CGR, but I prefer the Texaco paintscheme.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 21 Nov 2007, 04:34 (Ref:2072227)   #8
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man thats hard to swallow

But seriously, Thats all good news.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 05:54 (Ref:2072235)   #9
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey

Speaking of JPM and Wrigley's, here is a funny commercial with JPm and Kahne. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923lT4bxr2U

Old 22 Nov 2007, 02:05 (Ref:2073104)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
There was a story about this in the Miami Herald (I think??) which suggested that Texaco were cutting back slightly (wouldn't you if you were only gonna get half the coverage?) but overall it would see something along the lines of a 30% benefit to the team.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 06:59 (Ref:2073175)   #11
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
That makes sense. I checked and according to Jayski Texaco's contract expired in 2007. Either they voluntarily cut back or Ganassi figured they could get more overall funding by negotiating a 50/50 split with Wrigley's. Either way it is good news for CGWFS racing because they almost certainly should have more $$$ available now than last year. Franchitti presumably will also bring additional $$$, although Coors was a good and longtime sponsor of the team.

This is good news because Ganassi's performance since 2002 has not warranted bigtime sponsorship (after Ganassi's great entry to NASCAR in 2001-2002 when it was a title contender who would have that it would have only 1 win from 2003-2007?). However, apparently Wrigley's has faith in the team's future and Texaco is still happy with the team.

Old 23 Nov 2007, 20:00 (Ref:2074377)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Texaco is a nicer livery though.
Old 24 Nov 2007, 11:04 (Ref:2074601)   #13
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, the Texaco livery is simple but effective which makes it easy to spot on the TV. The Big Red liveries are nice but not as distinctive.

Pleased to hear that the deal is a net gain for Ganassi anyway.
Old 24 Nov 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2074894)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I too prefer the Texaco livery but the Big Red doesn't look bad:
http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2008/42cup.htm
Old 24 Nov 2007, 21:31 (Ref:2074906)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Big Red is good too, although I preferred the 2006 livery.

I like the flames on next years Texaco livery, quite snazzy.

Tags
jpm