Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win the Drivers' Championship?
Mark Webber 68 55.74%
Lewis Hamilton 24 19.67%
Fernando Alonso 10 8.20%
Jenson Button 15 12.30%
Sebastian Vettel 5 4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Oct 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2774310)   #126
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes, now that's what I'm talking about! *points finger at nothing in particular*

Alonso, during his Renault period, also thought that no one else but he could count.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2774347)   #127
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscherules View Post
the 2 drivers that deserve the championship are :

lewis hamilton : these guy really knows how to drive to the edge , he is consistent , he is a fighter , he knows how to overtake ,he make every race like it was he last one of his life .

Fernando Alonso : These guy is damn fast also , overtake , drives very clean.
I think porscherules has a point on Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso (not that I would say the others don't 'deserve' to win if they win it). These two are consistently giving the impression of 'outperforming their cars' (as much as I dislike that term because obviously you can't put a car where it physically can't go).

Mark Webber's still driving well, and Red Bull had some tracks where they weren't the best (or was that Ferrari and McLaren drivers outperforming them?), whilst Webber put in reasonable results. He can't afford to be too percentage-gamey though.

Button? I like the man a lot and I think he's answered critics of his world championship last year to a degree. He's pulled off a few good moves and made some good strategic calls, but nonetheless I think people are wide of the mark to assume he is near Hamilton on talent. The problem with Button is I never get the feeling he's going to do anything exciting when there's a sniff of another position to be gained.

Now you could argue this is my fault for criticising someone for racking up good points, but hey, maybe I'm just bothered by the focus on the championship so much and like to see drivers go for exciting overtaking manoeuvres.

Hardly surprising that my two favourite drivers are Kobayashi and Hamilton.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2774350)   #128
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces View Post
I vote Vettel. Suprised there isn't more 'love' for him on this thread. He's at the bottom of most peoples list.

I like him and want to win it.
I think he's a good guy, but I think the reason he's at the bottom of most people's list (I haven't checked but I would've thought Alonso is at the bottom of a lot of people's list- or at the top. He polarises people that way) is because of the hand gesture at Turkey and the perceived sense of entitlement and Helmut Marko favouring him as the 'chosen one'. If he is the chosen one, he's having to actually prove he can beat Mark Webber, a driver at the top of his game, and who many used to consider a journeyman (eating their words a bit now?).

I actually sense Vettel's mindset has just clicked into gear lately; he seems happy and ready for the challenge. This means he is a danger to Mark Webber's championship.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2774409)   #129
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscherules View Post

lewis hamilton : he knows how to overtake ,...
Not sure that Massa or Webber will agree with that one
Old 14 Oct 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2774861)   #130
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All season been hoping for Jenson to retain the title but i think he has fell behind a bit too much now but i will keep my fingers crossed , my next choice would be Lewis i just hope the 2 DNF in Monza and Singapore have not wrecked his chances too much . My third and last choice would be Mark Webber he has impressed me this season and i would love to hear him say upon winning the championship " not bad for a number 2 driver "
Old 15 Oct 2010, 01:07 (Ref:2775177)   #131
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I've never been big on Lewis Hamilton. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe part of me thinks he got into that seat way too easily. I know that I don't think he's God's gift to F1. Considering some of his complaints, I don't think he's that great at the overtaking game, or at self discipline. I'll admit to having been a Kimi fan (and a Hakkinen one before that), so running into the back of the Finn's Ferrari at Montreal in pit lane really didn't endear me to Lewis either. In my book, Lewis NEEDS to show more consistency throughout an entire season.

Frankly, part of me thinks that Fernando Alonso belongs behind bars. Blackmail, or threatening it, is NOT okay, NOt acceptable, and NOT tolerable to me, period! I also do NOT buy for a second that he was innocent in the Singapore mess. It's a load of bull**** that a man known for calling strategy real-time from his car somehow knew nothing of what was transpiring within the team. And don't get me wrong, I kind of liked the guy when he was at Renault and giving Michael Schumacher hell, but 2007 at McLaren ruined him for me.

Jenson Button is alright. I wouldn't mind if he won the title. He impressed me with a number of his drives in the Williams back in 2000. And let's face it, the cars he drove in 2001-2008 were NOT even close to being up to the task of competing for a title, and even A win was a huge struggle.

Webber isn't bad either. I'd be alright with him winning the title as well. However, I think he spent too much time in decent/good machinery to have not gotten better results throughout his career. He doesn't win for me based on some sympathy vote.

Vettel won for me. He's still rough and in need of some refinement (though hopefully F1 doesn't take too much of his edge off) and is certainly one of the very best on raw talent and speed. He just needs to rein it in a bit more. Also, remember that mechanical failures/problems cost him a likely 38 points at the start of the season.

And no, I'm no blind follower of Sebastian Vettel. If either Nico Rosberg or Robert Kubica was still realistically in the hunt, I'd have a VERY hard time making a call on my favorite.

Last edited by Purist; 15 Oct 2010 at 01:14.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2775298)   #132
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I've never been big on Lewis Hamilton. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe part of me thinks he got into that seat way too easily. I know that I don't think he's God's gift to F1. Considering some of his complaints, I don't think he's that great at the overtaking game, or at self discipline. I'll admit to having been a Kimi fan (and a Hakkinen one before that), so running into the back of the Finn's Ferrari at Montreal in pit lane really didn't endear me to Lewis either. In my book, Lewis NEEDS to show more consistency throughout an entire season.
I respect your right to an opinion, but I would say his performances against a two-time world champion in his first season more than justified getting into that McLaren seat back in 2007.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2775310)   #133
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I've never been big on Lewis Hamilton. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe part of me thinks he got into that seat way too easily.
To add to what Born Racer said (which I agree with), he didn't get the seat "easily". He got it through years of work in lower formulae and consistently proving to McLaren that he was good enough for them to keep supporting him. They're not a charity, they wouldn't have backed him and then put him in their car if they didn't think he was good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
If either Nico Rosberg or Robert Kubica was still realistically in the hunt, I'd have a VERY hard time making a call on my favorite.
STILL in the hunt? I must have missed the point at which they were.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Oct 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2775341)   #134
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
STILL in the hunt? I must have missed the point at which they were.
Hehehehe In Nico's case that might have been about P2 in Bahrain. He ended the session fastest, backed up with 2nd fastest in P3.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2775380)   #135
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's a hypothetical guys. I'm well aware that they have NOT been "in it", realistically speaking, this season. Should we have a title chase in the future in which Vettel, Rosberg, and Kubica are all there, then my comment would apply. That's all I was saying basically.

I didn't actually see those initial steps in Lewis' development. What you say are things I know in my head, but what I actually saw was Lewis going straight into a seat at McLaren. Performance in lower formulae is no guarantee either that a driver will do well in F1. Also, how much was really talent, and how much was Ron Dennis knowing Lewis' father, and just liking the kid based on a first impression?
Old 15 Oct 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2775390)   #136
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Formula One is expensive. You don't back someone's career for 10 years because you "like the kid". You do it because you think they're going to be successful. Just as in any other sport, you get dropped very quickly by the big teams if you stop doing well on your way up.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Oct 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2775404)   #137
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Getting the position and keeping it are two different things.

However, on the introduction side, the job interview IS very much just about first impressions, and whether you take a shine to that person based on those impressions, regardless of what people say to the contrary. In numerous trials, random observers of job interview tapes needed to see just the first TWO SECONDS of the interview to accurately predict its outcome.

And on the performance side, I would say there are a number of parallels to the quarterback problem in football and the difficulties in selecting the right driver for F1. The college football game works VERY differently than does the game in the NFL. Likewise, you can't drive an F1 car the same way you drive an F3 or GP2 car, and you can't run a Grand Prix in at all the same way that you run a GP2 or F3 event. Plus, the F1 driver has a lot more commitments outside the cockpit than does a driver in thee lower formula that doesn't have the same media exposure.

Finally, I would have to say that there have been quite a few drivers who stayed in F1 a long time without having commensurately good results, and a number of those drivers DID drive for the big teams.