Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Jun 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1321911)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"if..... then i'll eat my hat" - request side orders here

so, what are you going to eat your hat over? if dan clarke ever gets to f1? a female world champion?

mathias, what were you going to eat your hat over? gaz likewise... anyone else?

Old 6 Jun 2005, 23:18 (Ref:1321924)   #2
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would eat my hat if Susie Stoddart got to F1, not if there was a female world champion.

Why the Dan Clarke comment? Why do a lot of people seem to slag him off all the time? The only bad year he has had in racing is 2003, which was very bad. All the other years he has been a race winner/ch'ship contender and has also proven very consistent, especially this year and last. Even in his 2003 year, he was on the podium and qualified on the front row! If he got to F1 it would be a surprise, but I wouldn't eat my hat over it. In fact I support him whenever I go to meetings, so maybe Kimi can pick up on his drive at Croft and get him a Mclaren F1 test...that would be pretty cool!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1322090)   #3
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would eat my hat if Susie Stoddart or Jamie Morrow won outright a Renault, F3, World Series or GP2 race!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1322160)   #4
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
Emma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd eat my hat if...
*actually I won't tell you that one *

I'd eat my hat if Marko Asmer/Álvaro Parente/Danilo Dirani don't win the BF3 title!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1322167)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Emma - I don't think all three of them will win it!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1322178)   #6
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i will eat my hat if either carroll, kova or bruni fail to win the first gp2 title.

i think thats pretty risky considering im opening the doors for speed, pantano, rosberg, piquet, lopez, lapierre, viso, piccione, sharp, pla etc etc etc to win the title....
Old 7 Jun 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1322274)   #7
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that one of those three will win the GP2 title, and I'll eat my hat if Yoshimoto doesn't claim a pole or a win over the remainder of the season - even he can't have that much bad luck.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1322294)   #8
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
Emma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Emma - I don't think all three of them will win it!
I mean one of them 3 ^^!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1322757)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would eat my hat if Lewis Hamilton didn't win Euro F3 this year....I would also eat my hat if Dan Clarke became F1 champion, or if Yvan Muller suddenly switched to F3 and became BF3 champion.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1323315)   #10
Missoni
Rookie

Missoni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
so, what are you going to eat your hat over? if dan clarke ever gets to f1? a female world champion?

mathias, what were you going to eat your hat over? gaz likewise... anyone else?

Tut Tut, You shouldn't be slagging Dan Clarke off, I think he has a pretty good chance!
Old 8 Jun 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1323487)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would eat one of Dan Clarke's two hats just for comedy value.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1323839)   #12
moggie
Rookie

moggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HAHA! That was very clever Craner!

I would eat my hat if Stoddart REALLY is injured!
Old 9 Jun 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1323852)   #13
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
I would eat one of Dan Clarke's two hats just for comedy value.

Now can we please hold you to that?!
Old 9 Jun 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1324246)   #14
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd eat my hat if it was made from chocolate.

Seriously I'd eat my hat if Mathias Lauda won a GP2 race this season, mainly because he made a quote pre-season along the lines of "there are 20 drivers who can win races in this championship, and I'd like to think I'm one of them."
Old 9 Jun 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1324252)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Seriously I'd eat my hat if Mathias Lauda won a GP2 race this season, mainly because he made a quote pre-season along the lines of "there are 20 drivers who can win races in this championship, and I'd like to think I'm one of them."
What if it was Niki's moth-eaten old Parmalat hat?
Old 9 Jun 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1324339)   #16
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha! Thats a good one.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1334898)   #17
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In September last year, Gaz said - during a number of tirades on the imminent death of British F3 - that he'd eat his hat if there was anybody decent in the series in 2005. I humbly cite in evidence Asmer, Parente, Conway, Bakkerud, Lewis, Kimball, Dirani, Clarke and Kane, and pass him the ketchup. (He did eat a small amount of humble pie about this in February.)

He also promised to eat his hat if Stephen Jelley gets "anywhere near the podium" this year, but I'm saying no more about that. But he then went on to promise to eat a liquorice hat if Jelley scored any points, so if anyone sees a liquorice hat, could they take it along to Castle Combe!?

Bella reserved her right to refuse to eat her hat following her assertion that Dirani won't be 2005 champion, but I don't think she's got any worries there!

But I can't remember what I promised to eat my hat over now!

Last edited by Mathias; 20 Jun 2005 at 18:17. Reason: perfectionism
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1335029)   #18
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
You know when you wished you hadn't said something........

I hate people with good memories!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1335046)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Don't blame people with good memories...you were the one that said it!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1335097)   #20
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
I do love suze and her sympathy!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1335823)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Oh thank you. I do feel so, err, touched.

By the way - where did the phrase "eat your hat" come from in the first place?!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1335887)   #22
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've too much time on my hands today :-)

Here's what Michal Quinion's World Wide Words says on the matter:
Whilst we are on the subject of consuming unconsumables: the expression to eat one?s hat, expressing one?s complete confidence in the outcome being described??if that horse doesn?t win, I?ll eat my hat??dates in this form only from 1836, when it appeared in Charles Dickens? Pickwick Papers: ?If I knew as little of life as that, I?d eat my hat and swallow the buckle whole?. According to the OED, the phrase used to appear sometimes in the form eat old Rowley?s hat, though I?ve never seen it and the OED has no citations for it. Who Rowley was I suspect nobody knows. There was a Jacobean playwright named William Rowley and Thomas Chatterton?s supposed medieval monkish poet was named Thomas Rowley, though it is just as probable that Rowley was a character in a story or some minor personage now quite forgotten. There were earlier expressions invoking one?s hat in support of some assertion: by my hat (which turns up in Love?s Labour Lost), my hat to a halfpenny, and I?ll bet a hat, so it is possible that Dickens? formation may draw on one or other of these and on the then newish eat humble pie.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1335894)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
Thank you! It's like mad as a hatter - I knew were that phrase comes from but didn't know eat my hat!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1336140)   #24
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tsk! If anyone remembers what I promised I'd eat my hat over (and can prove it), I will ingest the article of headwear of their choice.

Probably.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1336232)   #25
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would I be taking a gamble if I said I would eat my hat if anyone from this years BF3C got to F1?