Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1570139)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Extinguisher servicing

My extinguisher needed servicing and I sent it back where I bought it from as was reccomended by the sellers, it was manufactured in Italy so it made sense . . . until I saw the bill, nearly £100 !!!

As we've all discussed before I don't object to paying for my safety, but I recently bought a complete new system for another car and it was less than £200

at that price for a service ( a new sticker and nothing else IMO) I may as well stick it on flea bay and fit a new one every 2 years !

so my question is, who and where to send extinguishers for 2 year servicing ?

I'm based in Sussex, so local would be useful.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1570542)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Mine goes back to Lifeline (Zero 2000 thingy) but the problem is postage costs and VAT (I know we all have to suffer it), it all adds up and soon pushes the bill right up from what starts out as a quite reasonable cost for the service.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1570570)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
There's a new Zero 2000 4 litre extinguisher on ebay for £150.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1570605)   #4
Tony Crossley
Rookie

Tony Crossley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just got a local extinguisher servicing company to check mine out. Cost a tenner.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1570827)   #5
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My last couple of Lifeline services were around £100 so don't feel left out!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1570850)   #6
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently (according to another thread which I can't find - doh!) they do not need servicing. Just have the gauge in the green and weigh the correct amount.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1570896)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its all a big con IMO, same as the ones in my shop, money for old rope, geezer comes around, weighs it, sticks a sticker on it, total time 3 minutes and I get a bill for £65!

I have now bought 2 Lifeline 2000 plumbed in kits from Rally Design for £85 and the best value going.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1570953)   #8
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Apparently (according to another thread which I can't find - doh!) they do not need servicing. Just have the gauge in the green and weigh the correct amount.
Nothing in the blue book, MSA website only recommends servicing, but tales abound of scrutineers failing cars if the extinguisher is not serviced.

I picked up a new Lifeline plumbed in kit from a rallying company in Wales for around the same price Al paid.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1570958)   #9
johnw
Veteran

England
Best take a Blue Book with me in future then
Old 5 Apr 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1571390)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
to address the original poster, there's an extinguisher company on the south coast, somewhere near Worthing IIRC. Hopefully Penelope Pitstop will be along in a moment and remind us who it is.
Am I allowed to say that Midgetman is now a Lifeline dealer and can do very competitively priced systems? I can never remember his URL but 'racewear' forms a large part of it IIRC.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1571443)   #11
Tuscan 6
Racer

England
Tuscan 6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have an OMP Ecolife system then in the UK only Demon Tweeks can re-fill/service it. Your only alternative is to send it back to OMP in Italy.

I recently sent a 2.5 year old steel bottle to be refilled. I was a bit peed off to receive a phonecall saying the internal welds were corroded and DT would not refill it unless the bottle was replaced (at my cost).

So far OMP have failed to provide a satisfactory answer as to why their steel bottles do not last longer than 30 months (despite never being discharged)...
Old 5 Apr 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1571444)   #12
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
carsreunited should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used a local extinguisher servicing guy (mines a 4ltr electrical lifeline system). He serviced it for £18.

It has to be done yearly now as well and I think he said that Lifeline need to do the one when the system is 5 years old. This one will be hefty as they have to discharge it and allegedly replace the seals. They told him specifically that he wasn't allowed to discharge and recharge it.

I now have a new sticker and a plastic tag attached to it which the scrutineers at Silverstone were quite impressed with.

I found my guy (in Northants) by googling 'fire extinguisher servicing' and my area. Anyone wants his number then PM me. He was asked by a deries organiser to attend their meeting and do a load en-masse. Might be worth a series organiser doing this at maybe 2 meetings a year?

Scott
Dolomite Sprint #86, 2006 CTCRC Post Historic CHAMPIONSHIP
Old 5 Apr 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1571478)   #13
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fire Extingusher Valves, in Littlehampton, proved very helpfull with my domestic exstingishers.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1571579)   #14
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
True but it is not recomended, it will always be pointed out to you.

Quote:
Nothing in the blue book, MSA website only recommends servicing, but tales abound of scrutineers failing cars if the extinguisher is not serviced.
Think those are just tales, you hear so many tall stories of how hard we are but lets be honest we always try to get you out on the track it is very unusual to total fail a car.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1571594)   #15
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont do tall stories,we got accused of rubbing out the date on a bottle and told that car would fail next time with out the bottle serviced,the straps on the bottle had rubbed thro the label.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1571657)   #16
scrutineer
Racer

So you didnt get thrown out.
But the point of getting rubbed off should make you think that you could always ask your service person to put it somewere better. Or before you fit it back in your car cover it with a clear plastic cover (selo-tape) to stop any damage easy as that.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1571735)   #17
johnw
Veteran

England
Turn it upside down so that they can't see the label
Old 5 Apr 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1571744)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know of a company in the Bournemouth-Salisbury-Southampton area? Mines just about to go into the red. Thanks
Old 6 Apr 2006, 06:27 (Ref:1571919)   #19
scrutineer
Racer

Quote:
Turn it upside down so that they can't see the label
Nice try John but thats been done before along with turning having the guage at the bottom so we cant see it but it never works. We either use a mirror or you have to take it out as it looks like you have got something to hide
Old 6 Apr 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1571929)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Al said >>>>>>>>>>I have now bought 2 Lifeline 2000 plumbed in kits from Rally Design for £85 and the best value going

Plus or inc VAT Al?
Old 6 Apr 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1572016)   #21
johnw
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrutineer
.....as it looks like you have got something to hide
Not me
Old 7 Apr 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1572968)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
well 2 things here I've noticed.

Servicing is a bloody rip off, particularly from DT

don't buy an OMP FE because they've got you by the short and cuirlies

I did contact an extinguisher CO and they didn't want to know, I will try again with my old one as all it appears DT did was apply a sticker, and that only has a service date on it.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1572977)   #23
pmoloney
Racer

United Kingdom
Staffordshire
pmoloney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an SPA extinguisher and luckily live relatively cloe to them. I took it in and they serviced and stickered it up for me while I waited for £20! Good thread by the way as it has reminded me that I need to go and get my spare one filled again after a little..ahem....accident!
Old 7 Apr 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1573014)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Far be it for me to recommend the competition but Merlin Motorsport do 2.25 refills from about £20.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 15:10 (Ref:1579523)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
recommend away I think, all we want is a fair deal, if it was filled with champagne I'd happily pay the £100, but for a sticker is a bit steep.

not sure how bubbly reacts with fire though !!!