Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 May 2016, 21:53 (Ref:3638582)   #10376
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I doubt the Toyota is heavier. Where do you get your info from? You have any insider friends or you pick that up in an article? We don't even know the weight of the Audi engine officially.
The new engine probably weighs as much or more than the old V8 did. They lost two cylinders, but the turbochargers and induction piping and intercoolers add weight.

Also, there's a claim that the TS050 is overweight per the regs. I doubt that they lost weight on the engine end just due to the added parts associated with a turbocharged engine.
Old 4 May 2016, 22:11 (Ref:3638588)   #10377
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Looks as ugly as sin compared to the Silverstone car and older low drag Audi kits.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 May 2016 at 18:34. Reason: Remove very wide photo - it is quoted anyway.
Old 4 May 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3638591)   #10378
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Let's hope it's at least fast because that is one ugly car.
Old 4 May 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3638594)   #10379
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I'm an Audi fan, but there's a line from the film Predator that sums up how I think those blunt front fenders look, even with sound aero reasoning backing up their use...
Old 4 May 2016, 22:57 (Ref:3638604)   #10380
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
The figures your are quoting are however based on the current EoT which assumes an equivalence between the 8MJ petrol and 6MJ diesel. So, yes, Audi artificially get a more favorable fuel allocation due to the KTF, but this in effect is also meant to partly compensate the 2MJ deficit in energy releasable by the ERS
Sorry, don't you mean less unfavorable? If I remember correctly, a 6MJ diesel still gets less ICE Mj than an 8MJ petrol.
Old 4 May 2016, 23:13 (Ref:3638608)   #10381
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Again look at the "handikap" the Audi had in 2014 (FTF & KTF) and what they have today.

The way rules are adjusted was writen long ago and aparently Audi is playing them very nicely.
I'm not so sure they are playing them nicely. After being very competitive in early 2015, they haven't had the chance to win a race since sunset at Le Mans. It was pretty hopeless in the next races. Yes, there were other issues, like getting the aero package wrong a few times, but sorting that out didn't fix it for them. Just look to what extremes they have gone in aero design to try and be competitive this year, and I'm still not seeing how they will deal with the 919s (even though it's been one race, and Silverstone at that). I think the regulations clearly benefit a certain concept that has been pretty successful.
Also, since EoT is basically BoP the way I remember it, not being competitive would make the ACO readjust the regs so that you get a slightly higher allowance. And as you say, Audi is alone in the diesel class, so all that reflects and affects them. So I don't think they are playing the rules. They just have not been winning.
Old 4 May 2016, 23:31 (Ref:3638611)   #10382
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I see were back on the engine weight talk. Audi don't have to use a big 4L engine. They can invest in a smaller lighter diesel (or they can't with the dieselgate?). Downsizing is the trend among the field
You can make a small diesel, but will it have the same power and torque? Won't the whole point of using a diesel be gone? First step is to start using a small diesel, and the next step is to start using a small petrol with 8MJ ERS. Then we'll have the variety we've been looking for all along
Old 5 May 2016, 02:58 (Ref:3638655)   #10383
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The new engine probably weighs as much or more than the old V8 did. They lost two cylinders, but the turbochargers and induction piping and intercoolers add weight.

Also, there's a claim that the TS050 is overweight per the regs. I doubt that they lost weight on the engine end just due to the added parts associated with a turbocharged engine.
So, you're just guessing or there's an unheard of rumor? The batteries are probably lighter than the capacitor. Iirc the same thing was said about the 040 being overweight. That too, was false.

On the r18, this aero package is extremely ugly. But hopefully for Audi, it works.
Old 5 May 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3638683)   #10384
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
I'm not so sure they are playing them nicely. After being very competitive in early 2015, they haven't had the chance to win a race since sunset at Le Mans. It was pretty hopeless in the next races. Yes, there were other issues, like getting the aero package wrong a few times, but sorting that out didn't fix it for them. Just look to what extremes they have gone in aero design to try and be competitive this year, and I'm still not seeing how they will deal with the 919s (even though it's been one race, and Silverstone at that). I think the regulations clearly benefit a certain concept that has been pretty successful.
Also, since EoT is basically BoP the way I remember it, not being competitive would make the ACO readjust the regs so that you get a slightly higher allowance. And as you say, Audi is alone in the diesel class, so all that reflects and affects them. So I don't think they are playing the rules. They just have not been winning.
I think, that In couple of hours all Audi fans will be thrilled to see their advantage, of course it will be because they are far superior team, defying the laws of physics

Hope I'm wrong and we will see some tight racing, but I'm afraid it will not be the case.
Old 5 May 2016, 09:09 (Ref:3638721)   #10385
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you there. I wish all 3 were close in pace for the enjoyment of the viewers but I fear that Audi will walk away from it's rivals, with this one. They won't have trouble recovering their allocated energy here and the setup is likely better refined by now and, on top of all that, this LD package could make them dominant, unfortunately.

edit: audi sport's twitter has been/will be a little annoying this weekend because of DTM. At least there is currently a 70% preference of the WEC, among voters, so that should indicate them to post less about DTM and more about WEC
https://twitter.com/Audi__Sport/stat...08051085991936

Last edited by Artur; 5 May 2016 at 09:19.
Old 5 May 2016, 09:31 (Ref:3638723)   #10386
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
edit: audi sport's twitter has been/will be a little annoying this weekend because of DTM. At least there is currently a 70% preference of the WEC, among voters, so that should indicate them to post less about DTM and more about WEC
https://twitter.com/Audi__Sport/stat...08051085991936
It does show the value that WEC has in the eyes of Audi Sport's followers/fan base. DTM looks like a distraction in comparison.
Old 5 May 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3638725)   #10387
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It'se 24 hour race, they haven't had this few cars entered in 10 years, and Silverstone + winter testing showed they have bad reliability issues. So the pace may not matter, even if it's LM Special as suggested. I would say their chances for winning the big one are the worst since 2009-2010.
Old 5 May 2016, 14:35 (Ref:3638796)   #10388
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
@audi__sport: The no 8 Audi R18 will not take part in FP2 due to repairs following a failure of the front axle drivetrain in FP1 #WEC #LeagueofPerformance
https://twitter.com/audi__sport/stat...28926498156544

Oh the reliability....
Old 5 May 2016, 14:43 (Ref:3638799)   #10389
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes...

Few years ago such things would have been unheard of in this camp. Certainly when they mean withdrawing from whole sessions

Porsche is rubbing their hands together for LM.
Old 5 May 2016, 14:52 (Ref:3638805)   #10390
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi reliabilty has really fallen hasn't it?
Old 5 May 2016, 15:02 (Ref:3638812)   #10391
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and the speed doesn't look too good either, thus far.
Old 5 May 2016, 15:18 (Ref:3638823)   #10392
Deleted
Veteran

Misc problems in winter testing. Including out of the blue fire that destroyed a monocoque. At Silverstone retiring car due to complete hybrid failure - that says all when in the past they've climbed mountains to bring half destroyed cars wrecks or seemingly nonresponding systems to circuit and semi-respectable positions. Then other car disqualified for failed tech scrutineering. Now sessions missed for other component failures.

Add to that no 3rd (or 4th) bullets in the gun, and the high chances for crashes
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=9655

As I said, speed may not actually matter at LM, even if they magically had 908 speeds.

The fat lady may have stopped singing.
Old 5 May 2016, 15:20 (Ref:3638825)   #10393
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Looks as ugly as sin compared to the Silverstone car and older low drag Audi kits.
Am I the only one who doesn't find this car ugly? It's definitely different but I wouldn't say it looks ugly. After seeing this the 2015 LD now looks conventional and uninspiring to me.
I would say Audi has a sick looking car, but I'm not sure how competitive it is at this point, both in pace and reliability.
Old 5 May 2016, 15:43 (Ref:3638832)   #10394
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
but I'm not sure how competitive it is at this point, both in pace and reliability.
it obviously isn't, at least as far as reliability is concerned.

but pace doesn't look good either at this point. the car is marginally quicker than last year in sectors 1 & 3, but a whole lot slower in sector 2, as far as what we've seen so far. top speed is lower so far. i really don't understand what the guys at audi are doing right now, IF they're not sandbagging. but the reliability issues are really worrying.
Old 5 May 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3638837)   #10395
bobec
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss View Post
it obviously isn't, at least as far as reliability is concerned.

but pace doesn't look good either at this point. the car is marginally quicker than last year in sectors 1 & 3, but a whole lot slower in sector 2, as far as what we've seen so far. top speed is lower so far. i really don't understand what the guys at audi are doing right now, IF they're not sandbagging. but the reliability issues are really worrying.
Wow, is this even possible if they are not dealing with issues or sandbagging...
Old 5 May 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3638839)   #10396
sssssssss
Veteran

i still hope they're sandbagging. for some reason, both audi and porsche are much slower than last year in sector 2, which makes even less sense for porsche, who are now running interim aero as opposed to the LD setup of last year. but at least porsche have the overall lap times, as well as the bulletproof reliability.

oh and by the way, audi are currently slower than toyota were last year...
Old 5 May 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3638841)   #10397
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Even if Audi are sandbagging or just not going for maximum times, the reliability, especially for the #8 (two hybrid/front drive issues two weekends in a row) is disconcerting.

Granted, it seems so far that everyone, at least also Porsche, are much slower in sector 2 than last year. That's to be expected for aero packages that aren't far removed at all from their LM aero.

However, I'm starting to worry if this new car is a gamble that won't pay off for Audi, at least until later this year or next season. I'm even starting to wonder if Audi Sport would have better luck moving away from Joest and doing everything in house like Porsche and Toyota are, even though Joest Racing in a lot of ways is just the name on the ownership slip.

I know that they won on the road at Silverstone and they've had delays in testing as far as setting up the car and such, so that give me some confidence that things will get better. But with the exception of 2009, I can't remember Audi having such a difficult time testing and developing a car.
Old 5 May 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3638842)   #10398
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Also, I don't think that the Porsche is bullet proof, considering that they're pushing their cars harder than last year and they had quite a few reliabity issues in the sprint races, including Bahrain where they nearly lost the drivers' title.
Old 5 May 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3638844)   #10399
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
I'm even starting to wonder if Audi Sport would have better luck moving away from Joest and doing everything in house like Porsche and Toyota are, even though Joest Racing in a lot of ways is just the name on the ownership slip.
What?

Sir, this is highly irrational.
Old 5 May 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3638846)   #10400
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I know it is, but with the issues of the past year or two, Audi Sport need a big shake up on the LMP side if you ask me.

Having not officially won a race in nearly a year, the aero kit blunder mid season last year, and having Porsche constantly beat them to the punch in the races where they had the speed to rival Porsche, something has to change.

I do wonder if even we'll see Ullrich Baretzky getting his wish to develop a gasoline engine for next season at this rate.

Either Audi are sandbagging/holding back big time, or they're in trouble. Maybe they should've also brought the sprint bodykit and at least tested them back to back like Porsche did at Fuji last year.