Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Mar 2016, 08:35 (Ref:3623811)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Joking aside, the Acecas are indeed eligible but they come out very rarely. Indeed I suspect that they only came out for the 60th anniversary race at the BDC a couple of years ago. I do have a contact for one that occasionally races but despite chatting them up at several meetings over the years, and then emailing them (the 2 litre versions are also FISCAR eligible), I've never had a single reply. The others I have no names for, so any help there would be appreciated.

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Mar 2016 at 09:01.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Mar 2016, 08:40 (Ref:3623814)   #77
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chambers View Post
Whilst I know nothing of the Ogle, I know the Draper family owned and occasionally raced an Alfa TZ1, indisputably a Coupe and one of the very prettiest, but maybe a little too quick?

Contact details for Martin Greaves sent by PM
It certainly is a fabulous car but as you say maybe a bit quick. It was afterall a bespoke racing car and these days tends to be what I call a big event car - Revival & Classic type!

Got your message, Bruce, thanks, and have replied.

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Mar 2016 at 09:03. Reason: typo
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Mar 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3623839)   #78
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
JR tells me that the Le Mans Harrington Alpine that he owned a few years back went to the States. I also remember seeing another (pale blue?) a few years back.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3623845)   #79
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
3000 RW, which I think was John's car, is a very pale duck egg blue / green. There has been a red Harrington floating around Europe, ex 1963 Sebring car with NART / Ferrari badges on the front wings. CCK Historic were with it at Goodwood at some point and it was sold via the web- http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C576753

There are also pics on the web of a red MGB Coune Berlinette with numbers on the side, but don't think from UK.

BTW John, if you decide to hold a race at Snetterton for pre war / vintage cars, will it be 'The Norwich Straight Cup' in honour of the original layout?
Old 18 Mar 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3623899)   #80
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Joking aside, the Acecas are indeed eligible but they come out very rarely. Indeed I suspect that they only came out for the 60th anniversary race at the BDC a couple of years ago. I do have a contact for one that occasionally races but despite chatting them up at several meetings over the years, and then emailing them (the 2 litre versions are also FISCAR eligible), I've never had a single reply. The others I have no names for, so any help there would be appreciated.
The two that raced in the Anniversary race in 2013 were driven by Peter Lanfranchi and Tony Edwards, but Andy Shepherd is/was Chairman of the AC Owners Club so should be able to advise.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 18:25 (Ref:3623934)   #81
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Bob, thanks for names. Yes, I know Andy well and he is my next port of call.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3623945)   #82
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Bob, thanks for names. Yes, I know Andy well and he is my next port of call.
John, I have traced a picture of Samuel Thomas (Waterlooville) racing a silver Aceca at the May 2013 HSCC Meeting. Maybe the Club could help there.

Bob.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 22:22 (Ref:3624014)   #83
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't Peter Lanfranchi Race a white / cream Aceca a few years back?

N.

Last edited by Heightswitch; 18 Mar 2016 at 22:29.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3624028)   #84
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
Didn't Peter Lanfranchi Race a white / cream Aceca a few years back?

N.
is that the one mentioned in post #80?
Old 19 Mar 2016, 07:17 (Ref:3624127)   #85
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
is that the one mentioned in post #80?
The two mentioned in my post, MGD, were red and blue not that it means very much. And as there is no reg. number showing on the cream car, it is hard to say if it is one of them.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 08:01 (Ref:3624139)   #86
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
They really are pretty aren't they. I will follow these leads up, thanks, chaps.

I've also heard from Keith Hampson that the only Harrington Alpine currently racing is that of Steve Chapman (of Glossop) so my next question is, if anyone has Steve's contact details please PM me with his details.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3624181)   #87
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The two mentioned in my post, MGD, were red and blue not that it means very much. And as there is no reg. number showing on the cream car, it is hard to say if it is one of them.
Sorry to mislead. Old age.

The cream car is in there as well.

I will post pic of silver car after I have taken Missus shopping.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:27 (Ref:3624217)   #88
bauble
Veteran

England
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3624223)   #89
bauble
Veteran

England
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cJPG

This is my album of the 60th. Anniversary Race for the AC Ace/Aceca with the three Acecas White Red and Blue.

Hope this helps someone somehow.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 13:47 (Ref:3624227)   #90
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just bumped into Hugh James and his son, Nick who have the Ogle 1000SX. Told them about your race John and they're interested in joining in.

NIck has an entry at the Classic the following week so they'll need to work out the logistics.

I'll send you his contact details by email.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 17:19 (Ref:3624394)   #91
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Brian. Message received and answered.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:24 (Ref:3625051)   #92
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
3000 RW, which I think was John's car, is a very pale duck egg blue / green. There has been a red Harrington floating around Europe, ex 1963 Sebring car with NART / Ferrari badges on the front wings. CCK Historic were with it at Goodwood at some point and it was sold via the web- http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C576753

There are also pics on the web of a red MGB Coune Berlinette with numbers on the side, but don't think from UK.

BTW John, if you decide to hold a race at Snetterton for pre war / vintage cars, will it be 'The Norwich Straight Cup' in honour of the original layout?
Sorry Mike, missed this one; thanks for info.

Very interesting final paragraph Mike, since Sam Stretton and I have been mulling over a race or two for prewar and very early postwar cars of a certain type for the last couple of years. I even had a title for the series which I won't divulge here. Problem is finding the time and a club/circuit prepared to take the risk of offering a grid. Then there is getting enough cars to commit - all the usual stuff. However, if one were ever to take place at Snetterton, your race title is perfect, although I'm bound to say that Snetterton circuit did not exist until about 1953, I think.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:53 (Ref:3625067)   #93
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, so far so good! I'm now looking for contacts for the following:-

Bob Binfield (Gilbern GT)
John Lesley (Reliant Sabre 6 GT)
Tony Sinclair (Rochdale Olympic)
Steve Chapman (Sunbeam Alpine Harrington)

If you have contacts for any of the above please PM me.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3625254)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Very interesting final paragraph Mike, although I'm bound to say that Snetterton circuit did not exist until about 1953, I think.
Correct of course John. It was Snetterton Heath Airbase before that. Previously the only racing in the area was at Fersfield, bit further south.

Due to it being alongside the old A11, I always used to stare out of the car windows as a youngster at the Norwich Straight in case there was a racing car or motorbike on track. (On the odd occasion the family ventured that far south! )
Old 21 Mar 2016, 10:39 (Ref:3625459)   #95
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I now have a contact for Bob Binfield, thanks to Sam for his PM.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 09:06 (Ref:3629212)   #96
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'm still looking for contacts for 3 of the above drivers and I now invite anyone who thinks that they may have a suitable car to contact me via PM, here.
Old 19 May 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3642846)   #97
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
As you will all have noted, Claire has sadly had to pull the plug on the 360. It follows therefore that our support race cannot happen. However, I think that the concept of the fastback race was entirely right and don't want it to die. Whilst another opportunity is unlikely to present itself this year, I will be looking to run it with someone next year.
Old 19 May 2016, 11:43 (Ref:3642850)   #98
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
I am truly sorry I really am, I tried right up until less than an hour ago to continue "as planned" but unfortunately it was not to be. I think this race has great potential and I will support it in whatever way I can in the future

Thanks
Claire
Old 13 Jul 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3836471)   #99
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Rather unexpectedly, Richard Culverhouse has agreed to run this race at his Classic and Modern event at Snetterton on 22nd September. I realise this is at very short notice but I hope that it can regenerate some of the enthusiasm for this race that manifested itself when originally put forward.

I will endeavour to contact as many of those who showed interest in the coming couple of weeks but please don't wait for that if you are interested as Richard has already submitted the SRs.

At the same meeting I'm also running the Archie Scott Brown race for pre 1960 sports and sports racing cars; particularly important this year as it is the 60th anniversary of this legendary driver's death at Spa. Gary Pearson has agreed to enter his Lister Jaguar so I'm hoping that others may follow his lead.

This meeting should have a pretty strong historic flavour for as well as the above two races, FISCAR is also running a race. I'm not quite sure how I got in such a pickle at a time when I'm trying move houses. As a result, I've stepped down as Chairman (after 7 years) of FISCAR in favour of 'Bentley Belle' Gillian Carr but remain heavily involved.

Anyway, we and Richard could do with all the support we can get for this meeting, so please give it some consideration.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jul 2018 at 11:48. Reason: Spelling!
Old 13 Jul 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3836477)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok I give in. Which club is running the event?