Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Jul 2011, 07:33 (Ref:2929701)   #1
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
end of GTE/GT2 classs?

these are rummors but they are now seriosly bugging me.

with the rummord LMS split form ILMC and them using the gt3 class insted of GTE/GT2, and now rummored ALMS split form ACO to form a more open GT class the ACO GTE/GT2 class would be dead. Unless ILMC only racing satisfies GTE manufacturers the class is doomed...
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2929703)   #2
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huh?

The LMS will split from the WEC, that is almost assured at this point. However, GT3 is not replacing GTE. GTE will still be there and will be joined by Porsche and Ferrari GTC cars. We'll see what happens next year, but many of the LMS (and ALMS for that matter) GTE-Pro teams did not join the ILMC. LMS GTE could still be strong next year, although those teams may need to do additional racing as the LMS calendar won't be very long.

I don't think GTE/GT2 is going away from the ALMS either. It may in time, but I don't think anything is on the verge of happening.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2929721)   #3
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Peter made it pretty clear at Imola in a conversation we had with him that he was not considering GT3 but GTC (Porsche Cup and Ferrari Challenge) to join.

The GTE/GT2 cars could still be used in the GTE Pro and GTE Am categories and as well as in series like GT Open and various national championships. In fact there is interest from some teams to run GT2 Corvettes in the FIA GT World Championship - and other GT2 cars could be used there as well.

So far the prototypes seem to be the major problem for the regional series, not the world championship. The GT cars are no problem at all.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2929768)   #4
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
sorry, I must have misinterpreted some rumors...
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2929778)   #5
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think the end of GTE is near (at least not in the short term) but we have probably seen the peak as far as diversity is concerned in the last few seasons... I don't think there will ever be a great number of Vettes out there and without them and the Bimmers it will probably be back to Porsche vs Ferrari with some hobby projects on the back end of the grid.

And another thing: The market for GTE-cars is certainly not getting any bigger... while Spanish and Italian GT still allow them, the numbers have really dwindled lately, so that really leaves LMS, ALMS and International GT-Open, if ALMS does indeed open up there formula GTE-sales to North America would probably also diminish. I am wondering how many cars Porsche or Michelotto have to sell to turn a profit...
Old 22 Jul 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2929814)   #6
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
sorry, I must have misinterpreted some rumors...
Which is why rumours are a cluster ****
Old 22 Jul 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2929859)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two GTE projects on the horizon are Mclaren and Lexus, these are potentially the most significant additions since Ferrari challenged Porsche, given they are customer focused.

Any given year there will be twenty plus GT cars at Le Mans, the GTE-Pro/Am set-up ensures a market for the latest kit and second hand cars.

GT3 does have diversity, but costs are rocketing with even recent additions like the R8 struggling.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2929915)   #8
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or as a manufacturer recently put it...

When the McLaren is 100% ready to go after testing by the factory all other cars will be rendered useless unless improved big time. Until the next GT3 car is raced, which will then make the McLaren out-of-date and more investments required.

And so GT3 will become very expensive soon...
Old 22 Jul 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2929955)   #9
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
to much hype is there around the Mclaren road car as well but it turned out to be a flop agains the 458, same will be true for the race car...
Old 22 Jul 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2929983)   #10
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
to much hype is there around the Mclaren road car as well but it turned out to be a flop agains the 458, same will be true for the race car...
who? what? when? where? why? and how?

the Mclaren mp4-12c is faster than the ferrari stock(proably due to more hp).Who told you it flopped? here you go again lol.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 23:54 (Ref:2929985)   #11
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some people just aren't happy its faster than a Ferrari....it did get pole in the British GT race at Spa so its obviously a very quick car, no doubt it'll get hamstrung by BoP but atleast its fast atm.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 08:27 (Ref:2930042)   #12
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Some people just aren't happy its faster than a Ferrari....it did get pole in the British GT race at Spa so its obviously a very quick car, no doubt it'll get hamstrung by BoP but atleast its fast atm.
you are mixing up gt3 and GTE, GT3 is much more a driver based class then car based, also it alwoes a lot more room to the manufacturer

Audiracer, in 5/6 test by british mags the Ferrari was picked as being the better car, it was run in direct competition against the ferrari in all the tests and on 3/3 tracks the ferrari was faster, only on the top gear show the McLaren somehow mistiriusly found 3s over the ferrari. (fifth gear tested it on the same track and ferrari was 0.1s faster)

BTW, 90% of the technology McLaredn is based of is iligal in GTE racing..
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2930095)   #13
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
you are mixing up gt3 and GTE, GT3 is much more a driver based class then car based, also it alwoes a lot more room to the manufacturer

Audiracer, in 5/6 test by british mags the Ferrari was picked as being the better car, it was run in direct competition against the ferrari in all the tests and on 3/3 tracks the ferrari was faster, only on the top gear show the McLaren somehow mistiriusly found 3s over the ferrari. (fifth gear tested it on the same track and ferrari was 0.1s faster)

BTW, 90% of the technology McLaredn is based of is iligal in GTE racing..

Don't forget McLaren is a pre-series car, is not yet the 100% definite car. It will receive a new exhaust, before the first car will be delivered. I think 458 and MP4-12C are quite on the same level, no great differences. But racing cars are just another story...
I like much more Ferrari than McLaren, but I would not underestimate this car.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 23 Jul 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2930136)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

That's a pretty sweeping statement! All your posts on this smack of some very sour grapes......
Old 23 Jul 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2930143)   #15
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That's a pretty sweeping statement! All your posts on this smack of some very sour grapes......
not at all, I just call em as I see them, read the reviews for your self if you dont belive me, BTW even Top Gear J.C. stated he would rather have the 458, a heavy statement from someone so heavily british biast as he is.

if you go to the Fifth gear website and watch bonus videos of Tiff and the other guy driving the McLaren you'll see what I mean.

as for the race car we will see, since it wount have any active aero, electronic break diff, or dual clutch transmisin, or even a turbo engine it reamains to be seen how it will do in GTE, although ACO could chose to let them run all of the above just for the *kicks of it. (even thoug everything stated above is iligal in GTE rulebook.)

*cash.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2930144)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
not at all, I just call em as I see them, read the reviews for your self if you dont belive me, BTW even Top Gear J.C. stated he would rather have the 458, a heavy statement from someone so heavily british biast as he is.

as for the race car we will see, since it wount have any active aero, electronic break diff, or dual clutch transmisin, or even a turbo engine it reamains to be seen how it will do in GTE, although ACO could chose to let them run all of the above just for the *kicks of it. (even thoug everything stated above is iligal in GTE rulebook.)

*cash.

Clarkson? Do you seriously think I place store by what Clarkson thinks of a car?? I'm happy to remember 1995........who knows
Old 23 Jul 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2930147)   #17
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
or even a turbo engine
Wrong, turbo engines are allowed in GTE as fa as I'm aware (although they'd have to downsize it from 3.8 to something like 3.2 in order to run the engine). I mean... LMP2 engine regulations are based on GTE, so by that reckoning turbo engines have to be legal.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2930172)   #18
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Wrong, turbo engines are allowed in GTE as fa as I'm aware (although they'd have to downsize it from 3.8 to something like 3.2 in order to run the engine). I mean... LMP2 engine regulations are based on GTE, so by that reckoning turbo engines have to be legal.
wrong largest turbo is 2.0l, and I dont think that will be better then running 3.8 or 4.0l N/A
Old 23 Jul 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2930177)   #19
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turbo engines are allowed in GTE up to 4000cc. Other than pipes and heat exchangers, the original system must be retained.
(ACO GTE regulations, section 5.5)

I can't recall a turbocharged GTE-class car, and only remember a couple in GT1, both Porsche 911 Turbo variants.

Last edited by Duff_44; 23 Jul 2011 at 18:08. Reason: Added ref to ACO rulebook
Old 23 Jul 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2930178)   #20
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
wrong largest turbo is 2.0l, and I dont think that will be better then running 3.8 or 4.0l N/A
Technical regulation PDF says turbocharged engines can go to 4 liters in GTE regulations, so theoretically McLaren could use the 3.8 V8 without downsizing...

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/...egulations.pdf

Page 13. You were thinking of LMP1 turbo engines with the 2-liter maximum.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 19:35 (Ref:2930190)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

*cash.
At the launch of the GT3 MP4, Mclaren said it had been built to GTE specification where possible.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2930271)   #22
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
ok sorry I got mixed up with turbo sizes, I think the GTE rules still favor N/A engines though, othervise porsche could have used GT2 as its homologation insted of GT3 RS
Old 25 Jul 2011, 00:05 (Ref:2930666)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Or as a manufacturer recently put it...

When the McLaren is 100% ready to go after testing by the factory all other cars will be rendered useless unless improved big time. Until the next GT3 car is raced, which will then make the McLaren out-of-date and more investments required.

And so GT3 will become very expensive soon...
Yet the call is still for the ALMS to adopt GT3.

All it would do is introduce a direct competitor (costs and speed) to the strongest class and eventually force a merger.

GTE already has a healthy number of manufactuers, Lotus are a recent addition, Mclaren and Lexus are coming and Chrysler are evaluating the new Viper.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 02:34 (Ref:2930686)   #24
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'll put this question: why is GT3 so special that some of you want them in addition to GTE? They look the same to me. I admit that I don't get much GT racing live here in Uruguay, but I know a bit about racing and the 911 GTE doesn't look evidently fatter than the 911 GTC. The Argentine TC2000 and Turismo Nacional are impossible to confuse, for example. But GTE and GT3 aren't that much different for me, much less for a regular fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
many of the LMS (and ALMS for that matter) GTE-Pro teams did not join the ILMC. LMS GTE could still be strong next year, although those teams may need to do additional racing as the LMS calendar won't be very long.
Exactly: major European GTE teams (AF Corse, Schnitzer, Felbermayr, etc) will do the 5-6 Euro LMS race plus the three WEC races and perhaps all or some of the Asian races. That's 8-10 races, which sounds very reasonable.