Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Jan 2003, 12:23 (Ref:469747)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two Volvo S60's in the ETCC confirmed!

Two Volvo S60's confirmed
ETCC 10/01/03

Rickard Rydell will be on the grid in the ETCC with a Volvo S60. The cars will not be run officially by Volvo but by the Italian team ART Engineering. Rydell's team mate is already set and it will be the Italian Sandro Sardelli. "Of course it will be fun to continue in the ETCC that is only getting better and better. I hope they have found more horsepower in the engine than last year. Especially the power was our main problem last year and if it is solved we can be with in the top," said a pleased Rickard Rydell.

Also the Volvo Motorsport boss Olle Odsell was pleased with this: "It is pleasant that our S60-cars will remain on the European tracks 2003. ETCC is an successful championship with good media coverage, and with Rickard and Sandro as drivers I think the team can give both Alfa and BMW a match."

Source: www.rickardrydell.com

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 10 Jan 2003, 13:31 (Ref:470187)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A shame for Hanson that he is not continuing, and a shame that Rydell has no real hope of challenging for the title. Even if it is the best car in the early part of the season, I expect that without factory backing, taht situation would not last. All in all, BTCC with Honda or DTM would ahve been a better choice, if on offer.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 14:54 (Ref:470265)   #3
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rydell is a "Volvo man", it's easy to understand why he choose this project.

What is James Hanson thinking to do in 2003?? BTCC??
Old 10 Jan 2003, 18:17 (Ref:470479)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SFonseca
Rydell is a "Volvo man", it's easy to understand why he choose this project.
It will be cool to see him follow in John Cleland's footsteps--he will race for Volvo (Ford) until he retires. Though I'm not sure if racing for a private team counts as he's racing for the manufacturer, but not paid by them?
Old 11 Jan 2003, 01:18 (Ref:470850)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he is staying with Volvo this year because they have something better on offer for him for next year.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 10:25 (Ref:471012)   #6
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Rydell can win the title with more engine power.

The BTCC was not an option for Rydell. The Astra dominates, and will do the same in 2003. Honda is good, but Arena are not 888.

The DTM option - who on earth would sign with Opel! Sure, the car lokks great, the fans are fanatical, the series is big, but Opel are never going to win. Face reality, the rules are written for Mercedes, and ABT had to get massive concessions for the TT-R to be able win.

I firmly belive that Rydell has made the right decision.

The ETCC is going to be awesome in 2003. BMW, Alfa and SEAT, plus privateer Volvo's and Hoonda's, plus hopefully some new and old shape Nissan Primera's, and what a series we have to look forward to.

Now if we can just get to see it here on Australian TV....
Old 11 Jan 2003, 19:20 (Ref:471351)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a clandestine works effort (behind FoMoCo's back), or are they really privateers, i.e. on their own?
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:57 (Ref:481507)   #8
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, so will Art Engineering be considered a private or semi-works team? What about Flash Engineering? They have a much longer association with Volvo? Or can I assume ART Engineering had more money than Flash Racing?
Old 21 Jan 2003, 21:24 (Ref:481601)   #9
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael H

The BTCC was not an option for Rydell. The Astra dominates, and will do the same in 2003. Honda is good, but Arena are not 888.
No Vauxhall will have to work very hard this year. It wont be as much as a floor wiping year as previous.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 09:47 (Ref:482180)   #10
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
Yeah, so will Art Engineering be considered a private or semi-works team? What about Flash Engineering? They have a much longer association with Volvo? Or can I assume ART Engineering had more money than Flash Racing?
More of private team than semi works... One could assume that ART Engineering had more money...
Old 22 Jan 2003, 13:28 (Ref:482392)   #11
Portello
Racer

Portello should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael H
I believe that Rydell can win the title with more engine power.

The ETCC is going to be awesome in 2003. BMW, Alfa and SEAT, plus privateer Volvo's and Hoonda's, plus hopefully some new and old shape Nissan Primera's, and what a series we have to look forward to.
I can't believe that this could happen ,but surely we can expect a great ETCC season 2003